If they dont get in another session (2 Viewers)

It will be interesting to see what happens if/when they get rained out tomorrow. If they come back the week after Sonoma, I would think they'd give everybody two more qualifying sessions on Saturday and race on Sunday.

First off, if it rains tomorrow they will stay there at least thru Tuesday to try and complete the race. Secondly, if it does ran through Tuesday the field is set and there will not be anymore qualifying. There may be a test and tune session the day before the run the finals, but there will be no more qualifying.

Before I saw this thread I commented in the Seattle Saturday weather thread. I really don't like this reshuffle thing. But, if PRO set it up, it can't be all blamed on NHRA. I just don't like it, at all. Like has been commented by quite a few people already. We all talk about how we are different than NASCAR in the no provisionals thing and then this? They all got one chance and that should be "fair" for everyone.

Policy Manual - again?

The top 10 was per agreement between PRO and NHRA. Since PRO was not consulted when the top 8 deal was announced, I doubt the agreement was modified. Besides, that would be unfair to those with a good shot at making the top 8. Hopefully, we won't have to find out.

Is this a "rule" or an "agreement" ? Is it in the Rule Book provided to NHRA members?
It would be interesting if NHRA members (who provide a few million in dues to NHRA per year) could have access to ALL of these "rules" or "agreements" There is no such thing as a "membership" for NASCAR fans, so it's perfectly OK for NASCAR to make up rules as they see fit.
If those of us who pay dues are indeed "members" of the NHRA, why do we not have access to ALL of the rules? Very frustrating - Jim

With no disrespect intended to the NW folks, having a race in Seattle is like scheduling outdoor ice skating here in Phoenix? I've been there but I've never noticed when/if it stopped raining.

This has to be a giant kick-in-the-crotch to the traveling pros, crews, staff, safety safari, support folks, vendors, etc. In the middle of a six week marathon where you get to travel, set up, prepare for the event and then sit under a canopy. It makes me appreciate all they do that much more.

With no disrespect intended to the NW folks, having a race in Seattle is like scheduling outdoor ice skating here in Phoenix? I've been there but I've never noticed when/if it stopped raining.

This has to be a giant kick-in-the-crotch to the traveling pros, crews, staff, safety safari, support folks, vendors, etc. In the middle of a six week marathon where you get to travel, set up, prepare for the event and then sit under a canopy. It makes me appreciate all they do that much more.

Historically, based on weather records, the last two weekends in July are the warmest and driest of the year. This an anomaly.
In 2004, it was in the 90s. In 2005 it was clear, sunny and in the 70s. Last year it was in the upper 90s and I felt like I was in Vegas in late May.

I understand it's frustrating but let's be fair. This is not typical for July. Sometimes shit happens and this weekend the weather isn't cooperating.

Please see this article for more information about this weird weather:
Local News | 1-2 inches of rain? Rivers on the rise? In ... July? | Seattle Times Newspaper

Just so you know I'm not talking out my ass.

Historically, based on weather records, the last two weekends in July are the warmest and driest of the year. This an anomaly.
In 2004, it was in the 90s. In 2005 it was clear, sunny and in the 70s. Last year it was in the upper 90s and I felt like I was in Vegas in late May.

I understand it's frustrating but let's be fair. This is not typical for July. Sometimes shit happens and this weekend the weather isn't cooperating.

Please see this article for more information about this weird weather:
Local News | 1-2 inches of rain? Rivers on the rise? In ... July? | Seattle Times Newspaper

Just so you know I'm not talking out my ass.

Kris,
Dad said the same thing to me Friday when I called him to check the weather... He lives up in Mt. Vernon area... and he teased me that there was No Way in Heck that we'd have a race today... so, ya think we are???? let us know when ya wake up... after all it's only 6AM out there right now:eek:

Everybody who needs to know about the rule is aware of it, as are most people who have been paying attention for a few years. The PRO/NHRA agreement came after the Ennis race a few years ago was run based on points with no qualifying. The choice for a possible one-round scenario was between "run 'em" and "provisionals for the top ten." PRO opted for the provisionals. If they get two rounds in, no provisionals since everyone got a shot at both lanes.

I don't have a rule book handy, don't remember whether it's covered in there or in the Policy & Procedures Manual.

This is a tough rule..since everyone can see both sides of it's results.
For us it is a Catch 22, we are happy that Grubnic will be racing today since our son is on this team. We are unhappy to see Tim Wilkerson get bumped from the field. Wilkerson has had a very tough "western swing" also.

Ken and Dionne

Does anybody know what kind of drainage this track has? I know that in the past when Maple Grove saw this much rain they pulled the plug because of flooding. They can say they'll stay as long as needed to finish the race, but if it keeps raining they may have to seriously consider coming back at a later time. If they are going to come back after Sonoma, I would think they would have one day of qualifying and then eliminations. It would give the fans a better show (for most of them this is the only race they get to see per year as it is the only national event in D6) and they would also be able to get two gates, so the track wouldn't take as bad of a beating financially.

Yeah Larry, I knew in the back of my head.... that place where Jim Beam never goes.... that the Top Ten deal was out there floating around... I thought, which I should never do.... that now that it was "The Countdown to Eight" that maybe only the TOP EIGHT would get slots... and it bites the bottom half cars, including the 3 that got bumped all ran better than a half second quicker that the 3 top ten cars that got placed in... and those runs were made in both lanes...

Soooo, having said that, and the Fact that this is really just a Show anyway... why not just have open qualifying for slots 11-16.... kinda like AHRA did years ago... brought/bought in Ten cars.... hitters always welcome and put Butts (Donnie, that is) in the seats... and get over this pretence called a championship.

I mean, NHRA treats it as a show, let's just be real about it and call it a show... it would be easier to package for TV, and gezz... like the old match racing days... car A wins 1st, car B wins second, and the 3rd shot was whatever... and you really think the average 'mark' can tell the difference between a 5.0 and a 4.7 with out the score board? Think everyone can see where I'm going with this... called hot clocks....

If they are going to come back after Sonoma, I would think they would have one day of qualifying and then eliminations.

The field is set, which means there will be no more qualifying. If they come back after Sonoma there will likely be a test and tune session a day before eliminations. This is what the NHRA has done in the past after the fields have been set and there was a rain out that forced them to leave the track.

I believe the weekend after Sonoma is the "SeaFair" weekend - hotel rooms and airline seats are already pretty well sold out. They used to run the Seattle race on the SeaFair weekend, but swapped Seattle and Sonoma to get away from that conflict.

Does anybody know what kind of drainage this track has? I know that in the past when Maple Grove saw this much rain they pulled the plug because of flooding. They can say they'll stay as long as needed to finish the race, but if it keeps raining they may have to seriously consider coming back at a later time. If they are going to come back after Sonoma, I would think they would have one day of qualifying and then eliminations. It would give the fans a better show (for most of them this is the only race they get to see per year as it is the only national event in D6) and they would also be able to get two gates, so the track wouldn't take as bad of a beating financially.

I don't know anything about the technical details of the drainage at the track but I know nearby homeowners have had issues with water draining off the facility (in the winter) downhill and at their homes -- it was an issue brought up in 2005 at the annual conditional use permit meeting King County hosts at DDES in Renton.
I'm not sure what the topography is at Maple Grove -- I've seen the coverage on TV -- but it seems like gravity helps with drainage at Pacific Raceways as there's a slope on the tower side of the track down to the road course and as for any man-made infrastructure I can only speculate. On Friday at the track there were some puddles in the midway and the pits but I didn't observe anything that could be described as "flooding."

I feel bad for the sportsman folks because it seems like they got hit hardest. From what I can tell, three or four of the sportsman classes didn't get any qualifying runs in at all. Kind of a bummer for me because that's what I had planned on giving the most ink, our local sportsman drivers. Sigh.

I have no idea how things will go today. Guess we'll just wait and see.

I believe the weekend after Sonoma is the "SeaFair" weekend - hotel rooms and airline seats are already pretty well sold out. They used to run the Seattle race on the SeaFair weekend, but swapped Seattle and Sonoma to get away from that conflict.

Yep, it's SeaFair that weekend, parade, Blue Angels, hydroplanes and other stuff. I've never had any interest in it but I always thought it was an event geared toward the locals. I had no idea it drew in tourists. Interesting. It is supposed to be my first weekend free in over a month...

I knew one year at Dallas they had set the field according to pts but I dont ever remember them using this "top 10" get a provisional if there's only one round of qualifying before. I always thought if they got an entire round in then that was it.

This is at least the third time they have done so - perhaps somebody with a little more time on their hands can go back and check the past three or four years for races with just one round of qualifying.

It wasn't too many years ago the NHRA said they would not run a race with only one qualifying attempt. I really wish that was still true, but rescheduling this weekend's race would be very tough on everyone involved.

Danny

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back