I just can't believe (1 Viewer)

I hope the wind isn't coming from the stockyards this weekend...that really stinks. Literally.

Other than that, have a nice day.

No wind last night. Great show. Probably more funnycars than they had in Chicago. Also front and rear engine TF cars, a few fuel altereds, nitro Harleys® and jets. Set me back $18.00 to see this, but you only live once.

$18?! If they had that down here (And no, I'm not talking about the IHRA nationals) I would be saying, "Count me in!"

I'm a sucker for Nostalgia anything . I'm apparently not the only one . Price of the Big Show both in the stands and on the track is at epic fail levels . Look at stands in Chi town . Empty seats don't buy Hot Dogs ! Who says that , Dar ?

I'm a sucker for Nostalgia anything . I'm apparently not the only one . Price of the Big Show both in the stands and on the track is at epic fail levels . Look at stands in Chi town . Empty seats don't buy Hot Dogs ! Who says that , Dar ?

Larry's right...it's all over! I bet a Nostalgia show at Rt. 66 wouldn't even draw half the crowd they had this weekend!

I loved my first memory of the patch. Whatever that old diner's name that's down the road through the orchards from the track, I remember sitting there with my dad, eating breakfast at a tiny table. The place was wall-to-wall people. Big was at a table behind us. Prudhomme was across from us. I'm sure there were many more icons of the sport sitting around, but we were all just eating, laughing, and getting ready for a day of loud cars and horsepower. Good stuff. Hope the old tracks hang around forever.

Larry's right...it's all over! I bet a Nostalgia show at Rt. 66 wouldn't even draw half the crowd they had this weekend!
Honest Joe. You're really something else. Wasn't it you that posted somewhere that you feel that the nostalgia folks cram their love of the sport down your throat, and constantly dog the NHRA Pro Show? (I paraphrase) Yet here you are, as in many, MANY posts of yours, ridiculing and mocking someone who simply stated their enjoyment of something. You came all the way to this post to have it crammed down your throat, did you? Your view is that all you see is people knocking the big show. You can cut that feeling down a notch if you simply back out of conversations to do with things you don't like. Otherwise, have an opinion. An opinion is totally cool. I think everyone here understands, and values people having opposite opinions. But you are forever being so melodramatic with the sarcasm when you see someone say they prefer something over the big show, or that it's declining numbers are troubling. (I saw the bleachers on TV as well. I would classify it as a "smattering" of people")

I loved my first memory of the patch. Whatever that old diner's name that's down the road through the orchards from the track, I remember sitting there with my dad, eating breakfast at a tiny table. The place was wall-to-wall people. Big was at a table behind us. Prudhomme was across from us. I'm sure there were many more icons of the sport sitting around, but we were all just eating, laughing, and getting ready for a day of loud cars and horsepower. Good stuff. Hope the old tracks hang around forever.

Kevin, I can tell you that the Auto Club Famoso Raceway is going nowhere. The property is owned by the Kern County Airport Authority and leased to NHRA who then leases it to the Bowsers'.

In fact, they are expanding to include Sand Drag down next to the shut-off area and later a road coarse, Moto-x tracks, and a dirt oval. Kern County recognizes the value of the racetrack and the revenue it brings in their coffer.

BTW, there are two different hot spots for breakfast for racers in Bakersfield: Milt's the coffee shop and Zingo's the truck stop. You would be surprised on who you would run into at those spots.

I've got to get to a nostalgia show, they must be a blast. But I'm not choosing sides, I'd like the nostalgia deal to grow and I want the same for the big show. Hell I want small local tracks to succeed. As for crowds, I think overall the attendance has been good at most of the NHRA events this year. I was at Chicago for Fri night and through Saturday. Friday night was decent, Saturday looked very good, there were times the stands appeared to be about 80% full, and I gotta tell ya', the stands are big. Sunday, watching on TV looked to be weak comparitively.

The comment about "Look at stands in Chi town . Empty seats don't buy Hot Dogs !"

This is a big problem and one that I am sure the N.H.R.A. is trying to figure out how to correct.

One thing for sure the N.H.R.A. is not alone when it comes to seeing empty seats just look at NASCAR, Professional Golf with the lowest TV rating's in 10 years!!!!!

Jimbo

Rt. 66 probably has more seating then any track out there except maybe Z-Max, pretty tough for any show to fill that place unless you give away tickets. But I wouldn't want to lose $500,000 on giveaways, and Im sure NHRA doesn't want to either.

Roger that on NASCAR attendance. I realize that Kentucky seats a bunch of people, but it was far, far from full this weekend. It's funny watching the cameras try to stay with the cars and still keep the stands out of view. My guess the attendance (or lack thereof) at NASCAR events is the reason you very seldom see blimp shots anymore....

NASCAR had less than 43 cars? I find that hard to believe. Their contracts with TV and event promoters (Bruton Smith at Kentucky) guarantees 43 starters. Usually if they think they are going to cut it close on the 43, they will call up a few start and park guys.

EDIT: You guys are right, 42 starters. I am stunned no one towed up from Mooresville to run 1 lap in qualifying and 1 lap in the race and collect $60K+.

http://www.jayski.com/stats/2014/pdfs/17ken2014results.pdf

When they were going through the starting lineup I noticed there were only 42. I thought, hey, that's kinda historic. But of course, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING was mentioned by the broadcast staff....go figure

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back