How to help the NHRA (1 Viewer)

NHRA needs to start listening to the Professional racers who put on their shows. Pay more attention to their needs, chassis, purse, parts, etc. Most of them have many more years experience than any of the talking heads at NHRA. And I totally agree about knee-jerk reactions to things.

One of the reasons you don't see more Pro racing items on the NHRA site is that NHRA takes a huge chunk of the proceeds of every sale. It took the racers years to get to have their own souvenir trailers at each event. But then it costs them to do that too. God forbid NHRA doesn't get a cut of everything.

NHRA & HD need to realize that if the professional racer can no longer afford to race, be it for lack of sponsor or whatever, then NHRA doesn't have a show. It's that simple. Perhaps a bit more attention to their needs would be smart.

My understanding from Glen Cromwell at the NHRA is that the NHRA only takes their "chunk" from items sold at the track...They have no claim to a penny from what is sold in catalogs, mail order, etc...That "chunk", by the way, is a $2000 minimum per race that you park your souvenir trailer vs. 20% of your gross sales.

Here's what I posted on the "other" site
What PJ said, plus I don't think pro stock bikes or car need to go away and I'm not enamored with pro mod. Promote Top Alcohol to the pro ranks. Kill the powerade/sports magic fags and use that time and Motel 6 vision to educate about the classes and the minutiae of drag racing,the write ups on the basics/classes of drag racing that are in the programs should be given away free to every person through the gate. Send free tickets to the business leaders in each market and work to get them out to the races (send a car if necessary), maybe hook them up with a pro/top alcohol/comp team looking for some funding. Work with ESPN/ABC to get the Winters, Gators, Englishtown, US Nationals and Worl Finals on ABC/ESPN. Increase the national event, bonus races and championship purses, The Winston Million generated tons of mainstream press, because a million dollars is still impressive, 20-500K is not impressive, especially with what it cost to fund a team. Promote the divisionals to build NHRA brand awareness and help the sportsmen guys get and maintain sponsors because they are racing in front of crowds. Get presenting sponsors for the Powerade and Lucas Oil series that will help with purses and promotion. Get rid of dead beat track owners on the National and Divisional tours (Cheap Charlie anyone). Pave the pits and keep the toilets clean at all national event venues. Vegas and Chicago should be the standard all venues are held to. I already pay for the audiocast. We have what everyone else in motorsports is trying to get, diversity (Race, gender, age, religious we've got it all) promote it, what ever gets eyes on the screen and butts in the seats. Flush the contrived drama of the countdown. Figure out a way to go international (They run Fuel & Alcohol in Europe and Austrailia, Pro Stock in Europe and Alcohol in Japan) for 1-3 races a season. There should be a squad of folks at NHRA whose only job is engaging with the National/Internaional media on a daily basis. In 5 years when I wear racing stuff I shouldn't have to explain its not NASCAR and Shirley, Snake and Big Daddy shouldn't be the only drag racers people know. In 5 years I should sit in the stands and not hear the uninformed crap I hear now. Oh yeah if the powerade guys must stick around & shoot shirts into the stands, they should be giving out hundreds not dozens per weekend. If they jack up our NHRA dues (and it sounds like they are) we should get a few more benefits as members like a real discount on race tickets.

Semper Fi
D

You are spot on, Devallion. The Lucas series needs a presenting sponsor nationwide. When individual tracks get sponsors and promote the events, people show up.
I was talking recently with a friend of mine (a baseball fan) and began a sentence with "John Force." He responded, "Who's John Force? I suppose he's some obscure racecar driver."
We've got to break through the media's disinterest and many of your suggestions would be of great help.
Cheers,
Ed

You are spot on, Devallion. The Lucas series needs a presenting sponsor nationwide. When individual tracks get sponsors and promote the events, people show up.
I was talking recently with a friend of mine (a baseball fan) and began a sentence with "John Force." He responded, "Who's John Force? I suppose he's some obscure racecar driver."
We've got to break through the media's disinterest and many of your suggestions would be of great help.
Cheers,
Ed

I agree with Ed about the media disinterest. There are two major events in this area, one NHRA National Event, and one Nastycar. If you're lucky, you might see a 15-30 second blurb on the local news Sunday after the event is over for the NHRA event. Nastycar, is almost non-stop media and local news coverage for at least a week and a half. I don't know if it's perception on the part of the media or most likely, they just don't know anything about it, and have most likely never seen an NHRA national event. I don't know what the answer is to help this issue or if it's the same in the other NHRA venues.

Well.........according to some posters (that shall remain.......anonymous) ;)

All the NHRA has to do is follow the IHRA's lead and then their fan base and media exposure will rise to that level.................:eek:

REX

How 'bout this? Send Angelle and Erica E. on a year long tour of TV stations, morning TV gabfests, newsrooms, radio stations and cetera.
NaziCar has the first lap wreck that takes out half the field - we've got intelligent, beautiful women who know how to drive - and - unlike Danica Patrick - have actually won something!
Just a thought . . .
Cheers,
Ed

Great suggestion Ed. When bands come to town, they always show up at the local radio stations and promote their tours. NHRA marketing department should be arranging these, and arranging drivers to appear in all major cities within 200 miles around an event. They should also give radio stations stacks of tickets to give out with NHRA trivia questions. Sure enough listeners would be researching NHRA looking for trivia answers.

NHRA marketing department should also be giving stacks of tickets to every sports department in every TV and radio outlet within 200 miles around an event. This sounds too easy, a very inexpensive way to actually build the sport in mainstream media outlets.

We'll see how that works out. The new guy with the Bud colors is certainly a more successful driver but lacks that magical last name.

More successful?

JR 17 wins, 76 top 5's, 121 top 10's, avg finish 16.2

Kahne 7 wins, 31 top 5's, 48 top 10's, avg finish 18.9

Seems I remember JR winning 2 Busch titles too.

Git rid of Tom Comton, and Grahm Light, that's the best way to help the NHRA first off.
You sure seem to forget, NHRA events were somewhat of a disaster before Compton came on board. His oil down policies, 75 minute rule, television package and shortening of eliminations day have all been positive steps in improving the total package. It hasn't all been detrimental leadership. Sure, they're far from perfect, but it has not been all bad news. Things were put in place, just sometimes we haven't seen the results that we thought we might have. Read through some of these.

NHRA News: NHRA names Hill and Knowlton public relations firm (3-30-99)
NHRA News: Integer Dallas named Advertising Agency for NHRA (7-23-99)

NHRA News: Today's NHRA to target automotive aftermarket (7-16-99)

NHRA News: NHRA releases 1999 television schedule (11-25-98)
NHRA News: NHRA's TV picture will be clear soon (4-14-99)
NHRA News: NHRA, SFX partner on TV contracts (6-28-99)

On another note, it sure is hard to think of positive contributions that have come from Graham Light.

The "TV package is a Joke", when you pay for a time slot you shouldn't get bumped for underwater basket weaving, world championship jump rope, etc, etc, etc, Graham Light is just dead weight, a boat anchor could do a better job than Graham light.

The TV package is alot better than it was just 7 years ago. It was spread across 5 different networks, at all hours of the evening. At least people know where to find NHRA now. Yes it could use improving, but it's far better than it was.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back