How bout this for an idea???? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Maybe if NHRA Banned the use of chutes and anytime a car went in the sand that track was Banned from running a Natl. event in the Future??? Since we are talking about eliminating tracks that cannot handle 250+ MPH cars without chutes, wouldn't that be a good place to start??? Everyone insists on blaming the tracks when that isn't the problem!!!:rolleyes:

:pWhat a great idea Joe. Then after all the pro drivers and a lot of the sportsman drivers are killed because none of them can stop without a chute we can go back to lawnmower racing like we did as kids.
Great idea. That would also result in significantly lowering the cost of racing and insure full fields. You should start a rally group or something to get this great idea off the ground.

Even though Joe was being sarcastic, werent chutes put on cars to help aid in stopping if the brakes didnt work? Now it seems they are a requirement to stop...Is my thinking correct?

Even though Joe was being sarcastic, werent chutes put on cars to help aid in stopping if the brakes didnt work? Now it seems they are a requirement to stop...Is my thinking correct?

If I understand their purpose correctly, they're an aid to slowing the cars down, not stopping them. Brakes are still required to stop a race car.

(See: the BME TF car a few years ago when the chutes worked but the brakes failed.)

The chutes are designed to bleed off a lot of the initial speed so the brakes can stay cooler and work more effectively. Of course, with carbon fiber brakes heat actually assists, but it's still a lot of speed to get rid of and the chutes help a lot and remember, chutes came about BEFORE carbon fiber brakes.

I understand Joe's sarcasm, and that it is based upon all the conclusions drawn about safety procedures that should be implemented by those that did not take the time to understand the special circumstances that led up to an incident, some that led to a fatality.

But the fact is that if the driver lifts from the throttle and starts applying the brakes at the finish line all cars are capable of stopping without using chutes or going into the sand. Most drivers wait to feel the chutes prior to utilizing the brakes, and by the time they realize that the chutes did not deploy, they are pretty far down the shut off area. The main problem with stopping with brakes only is applying them too hard and the car starts to bounce. Good drivers keep the car from bouncing.

In some situations, decisions/actions made prior to a run, unusual events during a run, or driver failure (medical, self induced brain fade, medication) and the out come will be bad regardless of what track they are running.

If I understand their purpose correctly, they're an aid to slowing the cars down, not stopping them. Brakes are still required to stop a race car.

(See: the BME TF car a few years ago when the chutes worked but the brakes failed.)

The chutes are designed to bleed off a lot of the initial speed so the brakes can stay cooler and work more effectively. Of course, with carbon fiber brakes heat actually assists, but it's still a lot of speed to get rid of and the chutes help a lot and remember, chutes came about BEFORE carbon fiber brakes.

next time you're in town... got a book or two I want to loan you, 'bout the early days...

I've also seen a lot of video taken on the 'love boat' back in '91, and some stuff from the TR... Not sure most understand how Safe drag racing is, compared to being on the Roof during ops...

d'kid

next time you're in town... got a book or two I want to loan you, 'bout the early days...

I've also seen a lot of video taken on the 'love boat' back in '91, and some stuff from the TR... Not sure most understand how Safe drag racing is, compared to being on the Roof during ops...

d'kid

I'm going to be at NAS Oceana from this coming Sunday through next Saturday. Perhaps if my schedule allows we can get together for dinner. I will have my wife and 9 year old daughter w/ me, but that's not a problem for me if it isn't for you.;)

Yeah, I'm not even going to go there... For anyone who's ever been on the roof during flight ops, it's a no-brainer that drag racing is MUCH safer.

I'm going to be at NAS Oceana from this coming Sunday through next Saturday. Perhaps if my schedule allows we can get together for dinner. I will have my wife and 9 year old daughter w/ me, but that's not a problem for me if it isn't for you.;)

Yeah, I'm not even going to go there... For anyone who's ever been on the roof during flight ops, it's a no-brainer that drag racing is MUCH safer.

give me a shout, take it you're staying at the Beach? home phone is 455-9675. Kat's on Vacation 'til Thursday... Have family stuff to do 'til then. By the way, Happy Father's Day.

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back