Houston should be moved to April 5-8. (1 Viewer)

No, it must go on as planned. I remember Steve Evans saying on TV the day after after Blaine Johnson passed... "Sometimes you have to suck it up, and the show must go on with heavy hearts". Yes it's a tragedy, Yes we will be mourning, and no it will never be the same without him. But the best way to honor him is to continue racing, do what he - and we - love.

I worked on Blaines car and it was hard to be at the races during that time and still is at times, but the racing community is a family, and they are a great support for the the teams and the fans are also great. Being able to talk to my extended family that i traveled with helped with pain.

I know its hard to pull off with the tight time schedule on raceday, but some kind of special on track tribute to Eric sure would be fitting.

I know the "missing man" formation isn't practical with FC's, but perhaps before the race put one of the backup Force cars with Eric's name on it on the track for a final burnout and then slow idle down the track to give the fans one last chance to cheer a car on the track with Eric's name on it.

Paul Titchener

Moving the entire race would be impractical. I could understand and wholeheartedly supported the decision for 9/11 In Reading but not this time.

The amount of racers that would be inconvinenced with it would create resentment. Eric needs to be remembered with love and honor, not resentment and inconvinence.

Plus, as Shannon Brinkly puts it, "We don't race on Christmas, Easter, or Elvis's birthday!"

It's a nice intention though.

Last edited:
I am reminded of something my crew chief, Ora Vasquez, said when I last ran TA/FC back in 2000. It happened after a particular run in Woodburn, Oregon. As I was backing up from the burnout, Ora came along side the car and sprayed de-icer in the injector, as he usually did. All of a sudden he just dropped out of site. He bounced back up, but it rattled me because I thought something had happened to him (he was already old then :) ).
Later he told our team, "If I drop on the starting line and don't get back up, just roll me out of the way and make the run!" As sad as this situation is, I think most racers understand that life goes on. Let us grieve, but not as those who have no hope (I Thessalonians 4:13-18).

I would love to see Force switch to Eric's AAA body for this race, and just go out there and kick everyone's a**.

Wonderful & compassionate thought Evan, but as gut wrenching and difficult as it may be, we must remember Eric is a fan now with the best seat in the house - he doesn't want to wait till the next race any more than the rest of us do... under normal circumstances. I'm with Karl on this one (among others), the show must go on & Eric would want it that way.

Eric would be mad as hell if that race was postponed.
There are those of us that truly believe that Heaven has ESPN.
And, I'll bet it's High Def.
:)

As they say the show must go on and im sure Eric would want people to keep racing. Maybe there should be a moment of silence for him though or something or have all the fuelers fire up at once as a tribute or something.

You can call me sick or whatever BUT I think Dean Scuza or Dale Pulde or shoot even Mike Dunn making a tribute pass in a funny car with Eric's name on the side would be a good tribute. If not even qualifying and racing the car if possible.

I worked on Blaines car and it was hard to be at the races during that time and still is at times, but the racing community is a family, and they are a great support for the the teams and the fans are also great. Being able to talk to my extended family that i traveled with helped with pain.

Jimmy nailed it. We need to get together. The extended family is the best support group that I have ever encountered. Just look at all the Indy guys that got together for the prayer meeting the other day.

WE NEED TO SEE EACH OTHER! And sooner, not later.

Alan

Jimmy nailed it. We need to get together. The extended family is the best support group that I have ever encountered. Just look at all the Indy guys that got together for the prayer meeting the other day.

WE NEED TO SEE EACH OTHER! And sooner, not later.

Alan

I completely 'get that' Alan! This race will take on a new spin for me though...

Wow...some of these posts are just gut-wrenching..but what a great group of members we have.

Thanks Nitromater..for helping me get through this.

And I'm a nobody..just a passionate 40yr fan that's loved every minute of it..the ups..and these downs are only tolerable by conveying our thoughts, prayers and shock we all go through.

Personally, I am one to believe that racers race and things happen and I think that any racer would want the show to go on. So having said that, I hope Houston goes on as planned. I will be there all 3 days and I will have the numbest feeling ever but I will be there.

Wow...some of these posts are just gut-wrenching..but what a great group of members we have.

Thanks Nitromater..for helping me get through this.

And I'm a nobody..just a passionate 40yr fan that's loved every minute of it..the ups..and these downs are only tolerable by conveying our thoughts, prayers and shock we all go through.

I've been thinking how grateful I am to have the Mater to help me grieve. During this process, I've been reminded that the reason I found the Mater was because of Darrell Russell. While I was struggling to make sense of his death (as if that was possible), I started searching the internet for more information and discussions about him, and that search yielded the Mater. So I guess I need to thank Darrell for the gift of the Mater to help me with our loss of Eric. And of course, thanks to all of you!

im with ya'll
i will be in houston next weekend
no matter how NHRA or whoever else looks at the race, i will be there in respect for eric, and i will look at the race as a memorial for eric medlen.

GodSpeed Eric

I also think this race should go on but I must admit, a part of me don't want to go.
Also maybe I missed something, but will there be a mater meeting?

Yes, there should be several. I'm sure Joe will say something. I'll be there Friday and Sunday. I know Sunday's will be at 10:00 am in front of the Nitromall. I'm not sure about Friday. The last round of pro quali's are at 7:00. So, after?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back