Houston should be moved to April 5-8. (1 Viewer)

Evan Knoll

Nitro Member
In all due respect to all involved I believe that the Houston race should be moved to April 5-8. That would be able to help and pay respect to the Family and JFR and all the drivers and loved ones and teams out there. Therefore you would have Houston then go to Vegas. Thanks Evan Knoll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, it does sound like a good idea...

But, when I lost my grand-daughter to S.I.D.S. at 6 weeks... I found the best thing I could do was return to work... I'll never forget Kara-Jean... just like I'll Never forget doing CPR on a baby at 5am on a December Friday morning, wait the six minutes it the rescue squad to get here...

But I needed to get back to work, they gave me room to do the ten thousand things that must be done... gave me and mine love and support...

But they didn't let me sit around, they kept me occupied, help me get back to Normal...

and when I pass on to the Lords hand, I want everyone to remember...

KEEP LIVING... Keep doing what you love, remember those that loved you, and know they want you to 'Keep on getting up'

So no, it would just streach the pain of this evening out even longer

evan i couldnt agree with you more, actually move it to the end of the year, to give jfr, and all more time to do there grieving, i know the show must go on but this one hurts a lot.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, it does sound like a good idea...

But, when I lost my grand-daughter to S.I.D.S. at 6 weeks... I found the best thing I could do was return to work... I'll never forget Kara-Jean... just like I'll Never forget doing CPR on a baby at 5am on a December Friday morning, wait the six minutes it the rescue squad to get here...

But I needed to get back to work, they gave me room to do the ten thousand things that must be done... gave me and mine love and support...

But they didn't let me sit around, they kept me occupied, help me get back to Normal...

and when I pass on to the Lords hand, I want everyone to remember...

KEEP LIVING... Keep doing what you love, remember those that loved you, and know they want you to 'Keep on getting up'

So no, it would just streach the pain of this evening out even longer

I understand what your saying and I would agree but I believe all the racers and teams need a little more time than a few days thats all. Thanks Evan. PS. Again, just my personal thoughts.

I agree with you Evan, but that weekend is Easter weekend and I'm sure most racers and there families will want to be together at home on that weekend.

By the way Evan...thanks for all of your support for our sport!!! Ithink it is great how you are giving to not only NHRA teams, but to all teams running different sanctioning bodies!!!

Yea, thats Easter Weekend, I don't think that would work, I have Friday the 30th off for the race but right now I really don't even feel like going, this has really hit me hard, maybe next weekend I'll feel a little better but right now it just sucks.

It's certainly a tough call. So many have booked flights, rooms, and time off from jobs. Very tough call indeed. My personal feeling is race as scheduled. I remember when Blaine was killed. We found out while eating breakfast in Michigan, on our way to Indy. I didn't feel like going. But I did. I really believe that the memorial services for both Blaine and Elmer Trett helped the families with their grief. I know I was glad I was there. But, that said, each case is different. RIP Eric.

I agree with you Evan, but that weekend is Easter weekend and I'm sure most racers and there families will want to be together at home on that weekend.

By the way Evan...thanks for all of your support for our sport!!! Ithink it is great how you are giving to not only NHRA teams, but to all teams running different sanctioning bodies!!!

Your correct I didn't think of Easter shame on me, and teams have bought tickets and all. Damn it just sucks and it is a tough call it was just a thought God Bless and Thanks. Evan.

very tough call indeed. i guess we just have to imagine what eric would say to do, and you know what he would say- hed give that great big huge smile and probably say- heck, go racing guys!!!! - godspeed cowboy eric.

When I first read Evans idea,I thought it might be a good idea. The more I thought about it,I don't think it would be the thing to do. With Easter and all of the travel plans aside,the healing process will start as soon as the service is over. I think getting a race behind them will go a long way toward the healing process too. I would think that's what Eric would want too. I know whenever the next race is,it's going to be a tough one for Eric's family,Force Racing,friends and fans. I think of Blaine Johnson and that convinces me even more. It's a tough call but IMHO, going ahead with the race @ Houston would be the thing to do.

I see both points of view. Evan has a great idea but I know if it were me I would want to get back to racing.

I do think a fitting tribute would be to leave the #16 qualifying position open...kind of a "missing man" sort of thing (my military side coming out)

Seems like we go through some emotional turmoil surrounding the Houston race too often. Just 2 years ago we lost Shelly Howard...now Eric. I seem to recall another sportsman driver being critically injured prior to Houston 5-6 years ago.

As bad as this sucks, we need to race hard next weekend while remebering Eric. There's nothing better than family in times of crisis and for many of us the racetrack is where our family is. This is no different for the JFR family nor the Medlen's.

Your correct I didn't think of Easter shame on me, and teams have bought tickets and all. Damn it just sucks and it is a tough call it was just a thought God Bless and Thanks. Evan.
Evan, It's ok, I believe that Houston should go on as normal, in remembrance of Eric and I wouldn't blame JFR if they just took a pass to take the time to heal from this tragedy...Eric was a tough Cowboy and he wouldn't see it any other way...Tony

I do think a fitting tribute would be to leave the #16 qualifying position open...kind of a "missing man" sort of thing (my military side coming out)

When Lee Shepherd passed away right before Gainesville, the race went on as planned & as a tribute the Pro Stock drivers drove up the track in the missing man formation.

I think Eric would tell you he would want the event to go on as planned. I also think he would tell Force to get back out there and kick some butt.

I was flipping through the sports based channels today looking for any mention of Eric and only saw it metioned on ESPN2's bottom line. I haven't had time to look, but does anyone know of something special to be done on TV highlighting Eric's career? For once I'd like to see a poker tournament or volleyball game pre-empted for a change on ESPN2.

RG

IMHO...I feel FC, while very intense and requires a lot of skill to do, is no more dangerous than any other class in drag racing, or most other forms of racing for that matter.

For example: We've lost friends, and still experience the pain of seemingly permanent injuries that still effect families we all know and love from super comp (Larry Winters) to TA/FC (Billy Williams) right now. But we all know it doesn't stop there. I've lost friends who were riding Harleys, flying an airplane, driving their car to work, and sleeping in a motorhome in the pits.

I have a ton of stuff to do to get my TA/FC ready for our next event in Las Vegas, yet looking at the car in the shop this week I can't stop thinking about the real truth to what we love to do. While we get caught up in tune-ups, tracks, travel, finances and logistics we seem to forget one thing. The human being being strapped in the car and the fact that what we do is dangerous and should not be taken for granted. Having said that, I think about Scelzi years ago climbing in the seat to replace his friend, Blaine. That took some stones.

We feel a sense of great emptiness inside because we have lost one of our own for doing what we all love to do. It's not supposed to be that way. But for many, including Christopher Reeves, Dale Earnhart and scores of others the unthinkable happens as a result of our passions.

Life is precious. Thank God for each and every day.

God Bless the Medlen family.

RG

Last edited:
I think Eric would tell you he would want the event to go on as planned. I also think he would tell Force to get back out there and kick some butt.

I was flipping through the sports based channels today looking for any mention of Eric and only saw it metioned on ESPN2's bottom line. I haven't had time to look, but does anyone know of something special to be done on TV highlighting Eric's career? For once I'd like to see a poker tournament or volleyball game pre-empted for a change on ESPN2.

RG

I wholeheartedly agree.I think Eric would tell the entire John Force team to honor his memory be making their presence known on the racetrack.He'd want John,Ashley,and Robert to get back on the horse and kick some butt for him.

No, it must go on as planned. I remember Steve Evans saying on TV the day after after Blaine Johnson passed... "Sometimes you have to suck it up, and the show must go on with heavy hearts". Yes it's a tragedy, Yes we will be mourning, and no it will never be the same without him. But the best way to honor him is to continue racing, do what he - and we - love.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back