Holy crap - Big Changes at $chumacher Racing (1 Viewer)

Good job Scoop... Everyone, including myself, thinks that NHRA.com is last to report things... Not this time. Best of luck to all parties. As a Cannon fan, I am happy to see Phil get the nod.

Good job Scoop... Everyone, including myself, thinks that NHRA.com is last to report things... Not this time. Best of luck to all parties. As a Cannon fan, I am happy to see Phil get the nod.

Sounds like the old Bo Schembechler, "I want a Michigan man" comment.

Frankly, I'm surprised it this didn't happen the day the news broke.

Again, Mike, sorry to see ya go. Wishing ya all the best.

Todd O and Phil, rock on!

wow don didnt waste any time moving mike neff around. kind of a bummer for the jack beckman team, they are on a roll and gelling. good luck to zippy.

wow don didnt waste any time moving mike neff around. kind of a bummer for the jack beckman team, they are on a roll and gelling. good luck to zippy.

I know what you mean, Jeff. I don't quite understand disrupting the chemistry of a team that's on the kind of roll that Beckman and the boys are enjoying right now. Seems more logical to do all the "testing" with Gary's car. After all, that's the team that will potentially have some serious chemistry issues to overcome with a new shoe next year, so why not start from scratch there?

Sean D

This is no shock and I agree with Rob, I think Zippy will be with JFR sooner rather then later. Good luck to all the parties involved.

Justin,
One of the first things we talked about when I joined NHRA was the fact I didn't want to do the rumor thing. Sure it's fun. Sure enough, if you throw enough @#$%^ at the wall, something will stick and you'll look like a genuis. But most of the time you're risking screwing something up big time for someone. It isn't worth dropping someone in the grease to be first or possibly nixing a sponsorship deal because information was leaked. I'd rather be right than first.

Do you really think anything happens on tour that I don't know about? Sonoma was my 218th consecutive race. No one out there in the news corp goes to every race, even on a yearly basis, let alone 10 years plus.

Have fun with the other sites. If you want the truth, go to NHRA.com. That's the way I look at it.
Regards,
Rob

I understand, but perhaps, you should have said, If you want the NHRA version of the facts or not rumors, go to NHRA.com.:rolleyes::D

I understand, but perhaps, you should have said, If you want the NHRA version of the facts or not rumors, go to NHRA.com.:rolleyes::D

Jean, you forgot to add this part so I fixed it for you:

I understand, but perhaps, you should have said, If you want the NHRA version of the facts or not rumors, go to NHRA.com ABOUT 2 WEEKS AFTER ITS BEEN REPORTED EVERYWHERE ELSE.

Nothing against you Rob, and I understand not doing the rumor thing and you wanting to be right and all that, but it takes NHRA.com entirely too long to post stories. If it werent for reading your notes here and there and the blogs I would hardly ever go there anymore b/c DRC kicks everyone's butt with results.

Sounds like the old Bo Schembechler, "I want a Michigan man" comment.

That's funny Steve... I grew up in Michigan watching the legend...

Scoop... I have said on here on numerous occasions that I have the upmost respect for you. Your writing and ability to find and report different agles on our sport is top notch. Just making a point on NHRA.com, not digging you. Sorry if it was taken that way, not my intention at all. You were first to report, and that is not normal for the website.

Last edited:
Don't start trouble that isn't there...

Bobby's site and the others do great work on a number of fronts. I'm talking specifically about rumors. As the website of the sanctioning body, we're just very careful with all that we report. It's much more important for us to have it right than to have it first.

Take the Neff-to-Force deal. We had that quite awhile back but JF asked us to wait because he needed to clear the decision with Ford and his other sponsors as well as Don Schumacher. Had we run the story the moment we heard it, perhaps Zippy would never have recieved an official offer because someone decided to pull the plug due to incorrect leaked information. I don't feel comfortable potentially changing someone's life like that. Besides, it wasn't a done deal.

Even after Force, Neff, and Shoe all talked about it on ESPN2 live, we still respected Force's request that we wait until his PR guy sent us the official word. It's just the way we do business.

Like I said, rumors are fun. Heck, that's just about all we talk about all day long at the racetrack. But as a reporter, I'll wait until it's fact before I write the story. That's just the way we operate.
RG

Well, I just want to say Thank You, Scoop. As always, you've done what you think is best for all parties involved.

I'm quite surprised Zippy is still on Don's payroll. It just makes good sense to release an employee of his importance when given notice he will be leaving.

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised Skippy is still on Don's payroll. It just makes good sense to release an employee of his inportance when given notice he will be leaving.

I definately agree. When an employee tells you he is leaving to go to your main rival, you do not continue to allow them access to your most vital information. The stakes are high and I think everyone can figure out what Force's motives are here so it is time to wish Zippy best of luck pursuing his dream and to change the locks behind him.;)

Re: Holy crap - Big Changes at $Schumacher Racing

From a distance (which is where I sit in such matters) This appears to take on the same view as Shawn Carlson "staying on the payroll, in an engineering position" Whit Bazemore "remaining with DSR for the remainder of his contract" etc. etc. etc.
There could also be a trust issue -- believing Mike's allegiance might now be with JRF, could he trust him to give the Oakley car and Scelzi his very best, especially in the wake of the countdown?
I know very little about Zippy yet I'd absolutely trust him to give them his very best to the bitter end but it appears Don feels the need to make the move sooner than later? I don't question his decision but I fear it will cost some performance as the changing of the guards is undergone.
I wish Todd and Phil the best as they are both hard working, up-and-comers.

I definately agree. When an employee tells you he is leaving to go to your main rival, you do not continue to allow them access to your most vital information. The stakes are high and I think everyone can figure out what Force's motives are here so it is time to wish Zippy best of luck pursuing his dream and to change the locks behind him.;)

Yea........Zippy is probably tempted to snoop around pick-up vital information and "trade secrets" :rolleyes:

Don did the right thing for ALL involved, I can imagine what would be said here if the car Zippy is tuning loses a round to a JFR car. Let it go, Don did.:)

This is why JF wanted a lid on it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back