Have diecasts faded away?? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
They were all the rage around 8-10 years ago, but you don't ever hear about them anymore! I only have 6 since that's $$$ that could be spent at a race. But I know one guy that had(?) 300 at one time, no telling if he's been selling them off or not.:rolleyes:

me and my dad collected them before he passed away and we built shelves for them and stuff...i still do a little collecting today but not as much as what I use to do...I have 150 diecasts sitting on shelves on my walls right now!

Action, I believe, was bought out and pretty much does NASCAR only. Milestone makes the best ever, I think, and there are some other companies making nice drag racing stuff, even nostalgia pieces.

I don't collect them, but I do know that 1320 collectibles do some really cool nostalgia stuff.

Who makes the 1/16 dragsters and funny cars? I know they make Dixon and Shoe dragsters and Cannon and Scelzi funny cars.

The market definatley went to crap quite a few years ago. I'm in the same boat; I have well over 150 Action Elite pieces sitting in boxes in the basement. I thought maybe the Force stuff would get hot again after the TV series & media blitz from Ashley, but it still seems like even the Earnhart & Gordon stuff just isn't selling anymore; or atleast nowhere near my expected profit margin.

Last edited:
The price of them has also killed it. It seems like $50 or $60 bucks is average now, with alot being close to $100, your average worrking guy cant justifiy that much for a toy. I think they priced themselves out of business.

Gotta agree with Kelly on this one. That's a lot of money that could be used on something else... like gas for my truck! :p I only have a few, but I just bought the 1320 collectibles Howard Cams Rattler! It's a very detailed piece.
I wish that I could afford to buy a lot more, but I think the average person with a mortgage, bills, race car:p, etc. is kinda priced out of the market....

Plus, too, they got greedy about coming out with different paint schemes for the same driver/vehicle, thinking people would gobble up every version that came out. Kind of like with football & hockey jerseys.

The diecasts are very nice, but as Kelly said very expensive as well... They are still "toys" and why pay $100 for one when the local Target or Wal-Mart has diecasts (from other sports primarily) for like $5...

The only one my family owns was given to my sister by Gary Scelzi when she was in the hospital about seven years ago.. My family has not forgotten how that made her feel (she is a huge Gary fan)...

CJ Curtsinger

I have over 200 diecasts and still collecting. The hubby built a room just for my collection. I'm also an autograph hound. 98% of my collection is autograghed. I personally like the PMC collections, though I don't find them as often as I would like. I mostly buy from private collectors and at small events like the Snowbirds at Bradenton Motorsports Park. I have bought several there for 5 for $100. I have also bought a few at the Gatornationals but those get kinda pricey!!!!!

i collect them and they are cool, but it seems lessand less drag racing diecasts are made today. and the prices are way up. you cant buy a force diecast from his site for less than $100 :(

Plus, too, they got greedy about coming out with different paint schemes for the same driver/vehicle, thinking people would gobble up every version that came out. Kind of like with football & hockey jerseys.

To true, Force get a new diecast every time he farts. He has one for the match race this weekend.
Most regular guys cant afford to collect just the ones Force has.

CJ, the stuff that sells in Target and Wal-Mart is Racing Champions. Not bad stuff but not what Action and some of the other higher priced brands are. I'm up to probably 1000 or more cars in my collection and very few are Racing Champion cars.

Most of the issues have been touched on here already. The "collectors" were upset during the boom that quantities where driving the value of their investment down. The industries solution was to limit production numbers and drive the prices up. That disinterested a bunch of people.

Chances of making a good invstment are slim but examples would be the Force Halloween cars and Garlits streamliner. Here's a couple of my favorites...some you just have to have.

PICT5283.jpg

hemi1.jpg

My dad and I started collecting them back in the late 90's as a hobby for us to do together. We got really involved in it and almost started dealing them. Glad we didnt now though. For every birthday, fathers day, Christmas, etc thats what we gave each other. Plus we bought alot of them ourselves too. I would say that I have personally spent $3k or so on diecast just myself.

About 2 years ago we slowed down alot and now really only buy the cars we really like mainly b/c it did get really expensive. I have alot of Force ofcourse but I actually mix it up some. I have the Force 100 Wins car, the 96 Force Driver of the Year car, Steve Kinser's #11 World of Outlaws Sprinter, and Tony Shoe's 99 Exide TF Championship dragster all in a case signed in my office at work. Also Blaine Johnson, Bob Glidden, and Mark Martin. You'd be surprised the people who actually know who they are.

I still say the best place to buy them is ebay, you can get them alot cheaper than at the track or from a dealer. Hopefully by Dallas Mike Ashley's car with Evan's face will be out in diecast b/c thats the one I really want now.

Force's Race Station has alot of stuff but like stated earlier, there's hardly a diecast there under $100.

FWIW, I never thought of them as investments. They're just kind of fun to have around. Unfortunately, our government's ridiculous tobacco legislation limits the opportunities for my favorite team to sell their stuff. Really stinks. Snake's Final Strike Tour, Ron and TJ's cars, all pretty tough to find unless you're at a race. Thanks, US government for saving me from those evil diecasts. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I never thought of them as investments. They're just kind of fun to have around. Unfortunately, our government's ridiculous tobacco legislation limits the opportunities for my favorite team to sell their stuff. Really stinks. Snake's Final Strike Tour, Ron and TJ's cars, all pretty tough to find unless you're at a race. Thanks, US government for saving me from those evil diecasts. :rolleyes:

What Charles, you dont like the King Kenny sponsored cars or the Snake sponsored cars. Scelzi, Bazemore, etc. I never bought any that werent the right car. I hear you. I think the one I saw the most was Rusty Wallace's Miller Lite car with Rusty on it.

I always bought what I liked. I have the Mooneyes car when Kenji was driving and I have the Creasy family car too. Of course I also have some of the very early Force cars that are rear. I saw one for sale at the force site for about $500. :eek:

Maybe someday I will part with them to help pay for my toy.... Someday:p

jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back