Has this ever happened to you? (1 Viewer)

4onthefl4

Staff member
Nitro Member
I recently went to the NHRA web site and clicked on link to a story (Photo Gallery: A very different Thursday at Gainesville Raceway). Then a loud popping noise came from my computer and this popped up
NHRA.JPG
This happened once before from their web site and I just ignored it thinking something was up with their web hosting service. And I never got this from any other web site.
Today I got an email from some low life, scum sucking sub human telling me he/she has infected my computer with malware and if I don't pay them $500.00 in Bitcoins they'll wipe my computer clean
and I'll loose everything.
I'm pretty computer savvy, I use a VPN, never click on unknown web sites, etc. I did a complete virus/ malware scan and thankfully didn't find anything suspicious.
This all may be a phishing scam and mean nothing, but I thought I would post this so everyone be careful if it turns out to be a bad thing.

Not ever on the NHRA site.
Not a bad idea to get free MalWare Bytes and run a scan but, it's probably nothing.

Turn the computer off, turn it back on again. Should be OK. Go to malwarebytes.com and buy and install it. It has WAY better protection than the free version.

It is not likely to be from NHRAs website, but it could be from an ad distributed by their site. Ads and ad servers are notoriously buggy and easily corruptible. It is why I have Java disabled by default and script and ad blockers.

The VPN doesn't protect you from viruses or malware from the sites you visit.

Thanks to all who responded.
Bob Groger: I've used the paid version for years and when I ran it yesterday it come back clean. When one gets an email like that, the malware usually on your computer, you get it when you click on a link in the email. I've dealt with computers since the late 80's and I know they can be as dangerous as they are good, so please everyone, don't click a link from a hackers email.
Chris Cook: I know VPN's don't protect your computer, don't really know why I put that in there. And I also have Java disabled. Strange coincidence I got the hackers email after this error.

Spy Bot. Malwarebyes is great. DO NOT sign up for the trial. They put stuff in the registry, just like all the others. STAY FAR AWAY from AVG and McAfee

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back