Happy birthday Big Daddy (1 Viewer)

4onthefl4

Staff member
Nitro Member

Great photo gallery by Phil Burgess of Big Daddy through the years.

Happy Birthday Big ! He's an amazing man. I didn't know that he had a bout with Covid but all the things this tough as nails guy has survived (badly burned, foot blown off, etc.), one would expect him to beat that as well. Live long and prosper Large Father !

All of us have certain drag racing images burned forever into our memories and for me, they include things like the famous swamp rat car that has the wing over the middle of the chassis, the swamp rat mascot, the famous picture at Lions that changed top fuel cars forever, the shave at Indy, the blowover at Englishtown, the all black swamp rat car color schemes, the whale-tail rear wing car, the canopy, the solid front wheels, the matco sponsorship logo, the cross on the top of the bodywork, the Shirley kiss, the supershops logo, Pat, .....so many things!

Am glad I got to meet Don and Pat one year at Bakersfield when they were just quietly sitting in the stands watching the race!
Happy Birthday Don Garlits! Thank you for all your contributions to this sport!!!

More here:

Nothing against Steve Huff, but that's the one thing I hated to see Big loose out on, being the first to go 200 MPH in an electric dragster. I was really rooting for that historic moment.
WAIT! WHAT! He's gonna try again in March in Gainesville with a new electric car! At 90 years of age! He may not have been the first to go 200 in an electric dragster but I'm sure he'll be the oldest.
At least until the Greek comes out of retirement.

My Hero. 3 things stick out that I saw. The crash at Lions. The back motor car 1 year later. The 5.63 - 250 run at Ontario.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back