Great time at Epping (1 Viewer)

I was NITRO BREATH

Nitro Member
Really enjoyed my first time at Epping. The track has an old timey 'rough around the edges' feel which I liked. It seemed to be pretty filled up on Sunday but it was easy to walk around the pits. Traffic in and out of the track moved nicely. And the weather on Sunday was beautiful. Could have used a few more nitro cars but the racing was great. Standing at the fence on the pit side near the tree was like having the cars right in your face. We left the track and still had time to get to the beach in Rye !! So it was a perfect day.

I had a great time as well, been going since the first pro race came back to Epping. But what happened to the crowd?? Dismal on Sunday, and I checked straight on views, not sideways which can be deceiving. Friday had poor weather, Saturday was poor as well. No cars were backed up on the 101 entrance as in years past. People I was staying with on the hill said it was due to Canadiens not being let out but I am not sure. The track and NHRA split of the money must have been terrible. Will still go again and support the sport but I was shocked at the drop off in attendance compared to previous events. If someone knows different, let me know.

Could be a combination of things. I'm wondering if there's still a sizable contingent of folks that are not ready to mingle with a crowd yet?

I thought of that as well. At the Gators in March I was one of about 100 people who was masked! But that was Florida.

I had a great time as well, been going since the first pro race came back to Epping. But what happened to the crowd?? Dismal on Sunday, and I checked straight on views, not sideways which can be deceiving. Friday had poor weather, Saturday was poor as well. No cars were backed up on the 101 entrance as in years past. People I was staying with on the hill said it was due to Canadiens not being let out but I am not sure. The track and NHRA split of the money must have been terrible. Will still go again and support the sport but I was shocked at the drop off in attendance compared to previous events. If someone knows different, let me know.
Charley-just saw this pic of bleachers on sunday looks like a good crowd??
epping.jpg

Yes, pit side is always the thicker of the two. And what a view just in front of the tower! Just like in the 70's. I was mainly referring to the spectator side.

From years of attending the event my unofficial opinion is 10 to 15 percent of the spectators come from North of the border. I've seen license plates from Ontario, Quebec (lots of those), Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and even Prince Edward Island. I would say this years crowd was off by that amount.

From years of attending the event my unofficial opinion is 10 to 15 percent of the spectators come from North of the border. I've seen license plates from Ontario, Quebec (lots of those), Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and even Prince Edward Island. I would say this years crowd was off by that amount.

I haven't been to NED in at least 15 years (so I don't know if this is still the case) but the fact that they used to play the Canadian national anthem before the US National Anthem recognized the amount of Canadians who were spectators.

I haven't been to NED in at least 15 years (so I don't know if this is still the case) but the fact that they used to play the Canadian national anthem before the US National Anthem recognized the amount of Canadians who were spectators.
Was that during the track's IHRA days? Back when Cordova hosted the Summer Nationals, I remember hearing O Canada as well. Cordova is definitely not a hotbed for Canadian spectators, so it might have been more of an IHRA thing than a NED thing. Given their draw from from Canada, though, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that NED still does that.

I don't recall them playing it this year but pre-race ceremonies were subdued compared to years past.

Was that during the track's IHRA days? Back when Cordova hosted the Summer Nationals, I remember hearing O Canada as well. Cordova is definitely not a hotbed for Canadian spectators, so it might have been more of an IHRA thing than a NED thing. Given their draw from from Canada, though, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that NED still does that.
Nope it was back in the NHRA days as well. Whatever event was going on the Canadian anthem was always played before the US - at the divisionals, Funny Cars under the stars, jet cars under the stars, you name it. As a kid I knew the words to the Canadian anthem simply because we were at NED for almost every event.

Manchester, about a half hour outside of Epping, has a huge Canadian-American community. When I lived there, when you went to the ATM you didn't get the option of press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish, the second choice was French.

oh canada is performed at BIR every year too, along with it's own parachute jumper/flag......it's awesome.

I would say more than that Jim, but also people still don't want to travel, so most likely those that attended were 'local'

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back