Great KALITTA headline story on NHRA.com (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
I have to say, this is one of Todd's (Kalitta PR) best pieces yet. Yes, it has been a rough year for the Detroit crew. In actuality, when you think about it, this is really the first year... since Doug came onboard under the MGM Grand sponsorship... that they've really "struggled" per se, atleast in the eyes of a sponsor. Sure, we all remember the post-Muldowney years when Connie was trying to keep pace and even Scott's trials & tribulations in FC and TF before the glorious world championship "LaHaie years" in the self-sponsored AIA colors. But they're experiencing a new kind of pressure now, with Mac Tools, DHL, Zoeller Labs & Summit & Jolt wanting results. It's kind of uncharted territory for these folks.
All I can say is...... it's never been about "results". It's been about having fun. I just want to say how proud I am of everyone in the organization.... for hanging in there, thruought the good and bad. This funk won't last forever. They've got thier head straight, and most of all they're still having FUN. Thanks to the sponsors for keeping the faith. This ship is far from sinking

I have the faith that they will be back on top. With the crew that they have. You will see!

I have the faith that they will be back on top. With the crew that they have. You will see!

Loyalty is nice to see but not as long as AJ is tuning a T/F car! :p
Loosing the way Doug did last year does a lot of psychological damage and it rippled throughout the entire team! I have never seen them be so inconsistent.

But they may have a chance as long as the countdown stays in place!

I have never seen them be so inconsistent.

Don't you remember the late 80's, early 90's? The Maroon Kalitta Flying Service cars? How do you think Scott got the nickname "Benny The Bomb"?
Hell, they were happy just to qualify. That's back when Doug was on the crew.
Connie had a horrible crash in Houston, the rear wing collapsed on the top end. They tended to repair blocks rather than replace them back then. There were alot of busted parts. It wasn't all bad though. Connie became the 1st to run over 290, Scott became the 1st to qualify in TF and FC at the Motorplex..... but at that same race I vividly remember Tim Ferrell & a very young JimO laying under the dragster working fevereshly on the clutch linkage, while idiling at half track because it wouldn't go into reverse, before Buster waved them off. I'll never forget Tim looking right at Scott in the cockpit, motioning "DON'T LET GO OF THE BRAKE" (before he crawled under the car) LOL !!!!
I wouldn't trade a single person in the entire organization for anyone else. Kalitta is not an army of one; no superstar. It's a GROUP. Nobody working in anybody's shadow.

Last edited:
Good people out last bad times................

Very true! But Scott won 2 championships because of Dick L. and the "O" brothers are sharp people and have been doing it for a while but I would still take a shot at getting AJ.
They brought Dick in to help that was a good idea but AJ is about as close as your going to get to a guarantee of a championship.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see team Kalitta win a championship in both fuel classes. I hope they do better next year and if AJ is available they should do what ever it takes to obtain his services don't you think?

Very true! But Scott won 2 championships because of Dick L. and the "O" brothers are sharp people and have been doing it for a while but I would still take a shot at getting AJ.
They brought Dick in to help that was a good idea but AJ is about as close as your going to get to a guarantee of a championship.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see team Kalitta win a championship in both fuel classes. I hope they do better next year and if AJ is available they should do what ever it takes to obtain his services don't you think?

I believe Shoe stated that AJ will be with the Army team naxt year. So, that ain't gonna happen!
It's becoming obvious that each fuel team needs a crew chief who is in charge of all aspects of the team.

Bob,

I would love to see someone else other than Tony Schumacher win the championship. Alan is great friends with the Kalitta group and I have a feeling that if he was available hopefully he would come into the light!!!

We all know Alan is a genius, but my brothers are a bit more than just "sharp"!:p

Connie Kalitta is one of the reasons I got in to fuel racing...
In 1981 I went to Pomona w/ a dragster driven by Larry Sutton and owned by a friends father..I had never been to any type of auto race...I was young and had no direction in life but we pitted next to Connie..
Connie was soooo cool to hang with and they were short-handed so I got to help them all weekend...Pouring water in the heads, changed oil, and mixing nitro...I was so thrilled and still have a pile of pics from that race...
I have always silently cheered for Connie and in 1986 I went to Pomona and was hanging by the ropes and Connie remembered me and had me do dirty work again...All the way to the final against Gwynn...
Tim F asked if I wanted to continue on the tour as a helper, but I was only 17 in 1986 and had to finish high school...
In 2004 I went to Pomona and was hanging w/ Ben M and I approached Connie to discuss my experience in 81 and he remembered...
I wish Connie and co. the best and hope they continue to race safe and to win a race or two before the season is over...

Another thing to note here.... personality-wise, not "everybody" could race with Connie. There's been alot of great guys who have given it a shot like Jim Brisette, Johnny West, Ed McCullough, Tim Ferrell, Larry Meyer, Tim Richards, Rahn Tobler & Kim LaHaie. I'm not AT ALL saying that any of these people weren't capable, and truthfully I don't even know why some of them left the team. But let's be real ..... Connie is truly a hands-on owner, he never has and never will hand over they keys to the castle to anybody. And I think it takes a certain mentality to work with him. So I don't believe you could just insert one all-mighty holier-than-thou person into the team and snap your fingers and everything is all better. It's the combined efforts of many many hard working people that have to work as a team with 4 race cars.

Another thing to note here.... personality-wise, not "everybody" could race with Connie. There's been alot of great guys who have given it a shot like Jim Brisette, Johnny West, Ed McCullough, Tim Ferrell, Larry Meyer, Tim Richards, Rahn Tobler & Kim LaHaie. I'm not AT ALL saying that any of these people weren't capable, and truthfully I don't even know why some of them left the team. But let's be real ..... Connie is truly a hands-on owner, he never has and never will hand over they keys to the castle to anybody. And I think it takes a certain mentality to work with him. So I don't believe you could just insert one all-mighty holier-than-thou person into the team and snap your fingers and everything is all better. It's the combined efforts of many many hard working people that have to work as a team with 4 race cars.

That very well maybe Chris, but he has one the most proven records than any of them with the exception of Tim Richards!
Right now if they went head to head I would put all my money on AJ.
If Blaine was alive he would be hands down the #1 Top Fuel Driver of all time..... six championships and counting!
One thing is for sure AJ's contract is up after this season so unless Jim can produce an article or statement that was quoted by Don stating that fact it's still speculation that's not to say Don will not match any offer but AJ is in the drivers seat as to were he chooses to be and that must be a nice place to be! :rolleyes:

You would think a team of 3 or 4 cars would be able to beat 1, but when you are up against a guy like Alan Johnson it is a tough task competing with the smartest Top Fuel tuner on the property.
I guess it brings the drive and determination out that much more the next year to try and take then down.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back