Great Blog By Jim O (1 Viewer)

Man, if this doesn't bring a tear (s) to your eyes, nothing will... Its going to take some time for all of us that 's for sure ....God bless you Eric, we're going to miss you.................................................................

Wow..great job..Jim O.

Ya know..I've never seen a bad pic of Eric. Kind of a natural goofball.

Very nice Jim O. Ahhh, the memories. Your daughter will cherish them. Eric was a very special guy.

Man, if this doesn't bring a tear (s) to your eyes, nothing will...
Ain`t that the truth! Thanks Jim O for the best blog entry I think I`ve ever read on nhra.com. Erics passing is going to stay with a lot of people, for a long, long time.

Last edited:
That was a good read, one thing us fans overlook is how an Incident like this effects crew members! These guys spend hours and hours together as part of a team, they must feel like they lost a brother!:(

I think what I find amazing, and what has in turn made this loss so much more difficult, is the just the flood of stories about Eric, and how good he truly was. I mean, I have never seen the outpouring over a driver like there has been with Eric. And it seems to come from everyone, even the emotion that is shown from the other drivers, like Scott Kalitta for example, I mean he just had such a positive effect on so many people. With some people you never know if they are truly genuine with their personality, but Eric leaves no doubt as to what a great man he was, even to the people that never knew him personally. Don't get me wrong, these stories are fantastic, but man do they amplify the loss exponentially.

That was an amazing blog. I can't stop crying knowing how bad all of my neices is going to miss him. He was so good with kids and fans and fellow racers. He came over to the pit area one time and braided my neice Julia's hair in 10 seconds!

By the way, B-I-L stands for Brother In Law!!! :D

That is Teri's nickname for Jim!

That was an amazing blog. I can't stop crying knowing how bad all of my neices is going to miss him. He was so good with kids and fans and fellow racers. He came over to the pit area one time and braided my neice Julia's hair in 10 seconds!

By the way, B-I-L stands for Brother In Law!!!

That is Teri's nickname for Jim!

Oh you little STINKER Suzie-Q :D I knew that, it was a joke for everyone else... SURPRISE!! I can't believe it... ;)
Would you mind getting me the clutch settings from round one at Phoenix off of Hillary's car and get back to me?? Terrible shake point for me at 1.3 sec. into the run... It would really help... :D

On a much more serious note... I have heard Jim-O's story told to me, by everyone that I spoke with this past week and weekend... Maybe for most children, this is their first sting of a passing... I was 38 before I ever lost a grandparent... I was a very lucky child... It breaks my heart to think of the thousands of parents, that had to tell their little boys and girls, the news that even they do not fully understand... We try and shelter them away from such events; every night on the news etc. etc. But the first thing my nephew asked when he came in the door was, what happened to that Drag Racing Guy Uncle?? :( Pretty tough, Pretty tough... hug them tight, but let them leave, kids are pretty tough... We are the basket cases in TIMES LIKE THESE...

seems to come from everyone.......... he just had such a positive effect on so many people...........even to the people that never knew him personally. Don't get me wrong, these stories are fantastic, but man do they amplify the loss exponentially.
yeah, eric had more figured out at 33 than some ever do in a lifetime.
very touching article jim.

Oberhofer Family = class. Thank you JimO. I knew a long, long time ago you & your brother are great guys. We're lucky to have y'all in NHRA

Just read it for the third time and still teared up, Jim you are a class act, thanks for sharing this touching story.

thank you jimmy o. you and the entire kalitta team and family are class acts and are the best period!!!!!!!!

The pic of Eric and Ashley O. is just so warm and delightful. The joy she wears on her face is unmistakable.

I guess what's left for us to do is whatever we can to be more like Eric in our own lives?

Thanks to all the Oberhofer's for blogging and posting in this sad time. Scott K's blog comments are magnificent, also. I find Scott to be a very talented natural writer.

-85% Jimmy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back