Goodyear Discusses Vegas Incident (1 Viewer)

He and Lee Elder, Goodyear Racing public relations representative said being vigilant about tire safety is part of the company's DNA.

Okay, then what happened to the tire on Darrell Russell's car that made Goodyear go back to the previous design? That report was forthcoming too. :rolleyes:

It seems as if we are approaching the same problems that helped bring about 1000' racing. I don't think the sport will survive a further reduction in length. They will be forced to make major changes to slow the cars down in the next year or so. Hear me now and believe me later, we will have slower cars in the near future.

I call "Cheap-Shot" on the name calling...!!! What is YOUR technical opinion on the tire failure?

John, I know you haven't been around racing as long as some of us have been, but that has been his *not so respectful* nick name in the pits for many years. Not saying it's appropriate. Just saying it isn't shocking or new.

John, I know you haven't been around racing as long as some of us have been, but that has been his *not so respectful* nick name in the pits for many years. Not saying it's appropriate. Just saying it isn't shocking or new.

I guess you are right, I've only been drag racing since my first pass at Famoso in 1961..., and I am aware of his "nickname" and still think he should be given more respect than we sometimes give him. He has a hard job and does make some mistakes.
See ya at the track...!!!

i guess you are right, i've only been drag racing since my first pass at famoso in 1961..., and i am aware of his "nickname" and still think he should be given more respect than we sometimes give him. He has a hard job and does make some mistakes.
See ya at the track...!!!

;)

Last edited:
I call "Cheap-Shot" on the name calling...!!! What is YOUR technical opinion on the tire failure?

Structural flaw when the tire was manufactured, pushed to the point of failure when Brown's car transitioned from WOT to shutdown, while still on the glued portion of the track. The trick is finding out exactly what the flaw was, and how it came to be.

An opinion, of course, and I don't blame Graham Light for procrastinating. Let Goodyear figure it out; they'll take this bull by the horns. They sure as hell don't want to ever see this happen again.

Structural flaw when the tire was manufactured, pushed to the point of failure when Brown's car transitioned from WOT to shutdown, while still on the glued portion of the track. The trick is finding out exactly what the flaw was, and how it came to be.

An opinion, of course, and I don't blame Graham Light for procrastinating. Let Goodyear figure it out; they'll take this bull by the horns. They sure as hell don't want to ever see this happen again.

I agree, there is already enough stress on the drivers without throwing in worring about that. I hope it was a "one-time-deal", but I bet there are some engineers working HARD to find the problem.

(Glad my kids don't drive those things...!!! :D:D:D:D)

John, since I was the one that questioned this to begin with I would like the opportunity to respond. First, I've no idea what caused Antron's tire to fail. I'm a fan with no technical background to draw an informed decision. My issue isn't what caused the failure. My issue is that I have no faith in the NHRA or Goodyear for that matter to actually do something about it when they identify a cause.

In my opinion, the NHRA's record of the last 30 years is deplorable when it comes to mitigating acknowledged risks to the health of race car drivers. For evidence, I'd start with Shirley Muldowney's near fatal wreck. On of the causes of her injuries was the magnesium seat she was in. It failed early and catastrophically. Her words, not mine. How long did it take the NHRA to outlaw the magnesium seat? The story's all in her book.

Next, my allusion to Darrell's crash. For months in the spring of 2004, I read multiple articles about Goodyear's new design tire suffering failures described as "chunking." The most detailed article which included photos of Whit Bazemore's holed-out funny car body ran on Competition Plus. Joe Amato was the most vocal owner opposing the new tire, to the point he stockpiled the old tires in great numbers. The NHRA forced Amato and all the teams to run the new tires. In the wake of Darrell's death, what was the solution? Another Goodyear tire model number that looked extremely similar, if not identical, to the old tire. Where's the report on the cause of Darrell's wreck? Still forthcoming 8 years after the fact?

Finally, how many years did Whit Bazemore rail against the NHRA about fixed objects near the race course? I mean it was years, John. What took Scott Kalitta's life? And what was noticeably absent from the end of the track the next day? Was that crash not foreseeable and, in so, preventable?

Respect is earned and not given. If Mr Light wishes to earn the respect of this measly fan, he better step up now. Identify what caused this tire failure and implement a remedy now. I am only one fan. I vote with the little money I have. I'm not an NHRA member and will not be in the near future. I will only be a member and supporter of the NHRA as an organization when they show that "Dedicated to Safety" is more than a old fashioned slogan on a t-shirt in the Nitro Mall.

John, since I was the one that questioned this to begin with I would like the opportunity to respond. First, I've no idea what caused Antron's tire to fail. I'm a fan with no technical background to draw an informed decision. My issue isn't what caused the failure. My issue is that I have no faith in the NHRA or Goodyear for that matter to actually do something about it when they identify a cause.

In my opinion, the NHRA's record of the last 30 years is deplorable when it comes to mitigating acknowledged risks to the health of race car drivers. For evidence, I'd start with Shirley Muldowney's near fatal wreck. On of the causes of her injuries was the magnesium seat she was in. It failed early and catastrophically. Her words, not mine. How long did it take the NHRA to outlaw the magnesium seat? The story's all in her book.

Next, my allusion to Darrell's crash. For months in the spring of 2004, I read multiple articles about Goodyear's new design tire suffering failures described as "chunking." The most detailed article which included photos of Whit Bazemore's holed-out funny car body ran on Competition Plus. Joe Amato was the most vocal owner opposing the new tire, to the point he stockpiled the old tires in great numbers. The NHRA forced Amato and all the teams to run the new tires. In the wake of Darrell's death, what was the solution? Another Goodyear tire model number that looked extremely similar, if not identical, to the old tire. Where's the report on the cause of Darrell's wreck? Still forthcoming 8 years after the fact?

Finally, how many years did Whit Bazemore rail against the NHRA about fixed objects near the race course? I mean it was years, John. What took Scott Kalitta's life? And what was noticeably absent from the end of the track the next day? Was that crash not foreseeable and, in so, preventable?

Respect is earned and not given. If Mr Light wishes to earn the respect of this measly fan, he better step up now. Identify what caused this tire failure and implement a remedy now. I am only one fan. I vote with the little money I have. I'm not an NHRA member and will not be in the near future. I will only be a member and supporter of the NHRA as an organization when they show that "Dedicated to Safety" is more than a old fashioned slogan on a t-shirt in the Nitro Mall.

Well stated...!!! I also want these cars to be safe for every driver. I guess my point was just that we should try to maintain some amount of civility unless someone gives us a reason to start name calling, nothing more. (back to the tire failure: I actually do have faith that the tire engineers will fix the problem if there is one..., just my opinion) John C Sr.

Well stated...!!! I also want these cars to be safe for every driver. I guess my point was just that we should try to maintain some amount of civility unless someone gives us a reason to start name calling, nothing more. (back to the tire failure: I actually do have faith that the tire engineers will fix the problem if there is one..., just my opinion) John C Sr.

Hey Papa Capps! I agree....and I want them safe for all drivers too. I can't imagine how you and Mama feel every time they get behind the wheel!

I want to know what birdbrain thought a magnesium seat in a fuel burner was a good idea in the first place...I learned about how magnesium burns in a 7th grade lab demonstration..:rolleyes:

I want to know what birdbrain thought a magnesium seat in a fuel burner was a good idea in the first place...I learned about how magnesium burns in a 7th grade lab demonstration..:rolleyes:

Biggest problem with magnesium seats and interiors came to light when there was a fire in a pro stocker (forgot the car) and the thing lit up like a camp fire on gasoline...Magnersium was used for seats, interior panels, tin work in the funny car bodies, etc....

Biggest problem with magnesium seats and interiors came to light when there was a fire in a pro stocker (forgot the car) and the thing lit up like a camp fire on gasoline...Magnersium was used for seats, interior panels, tin work in the funny car bodies, etc....

I know it was used, but like I said, I wonder who thought using magnesium on interior pieces was a good idea. It was a sort of tongue in cheek question..

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back