Still No Answers About Antron's Tire (1 Viewer)

Track prep, and the idea that it has to be a fly strip to the stripe... Want to slow them down? Spray the track in the morning, and SLIGHTLY after an oil down. Let the tuners work.

I never had a problem watching a 5 second quater mile run.... AND I paid admission for it....

This may not be a popular post, but what would have happened had he pushed that tire under power another 320 feet?

This may not be a popular post, but what would have happened had he pushed that tire under power another 320 feet?
The tire was probably fine all the way through the finish line, seems that the problem occurs once they lift and the tire is biting a tight surface.

Sounds like the next step is for them to build some sort of stirrup to slide the left foot into once it's removed from the clutch peddle.

The tire was probably fine all the way through the finish line, seems that the problem occurs once they lift and the tire is biting a tight surface.

Sounds like the next step is for them to build some sort of stirrup to slide the left foot into once it's removed from the clutch peddle.

I thought the same thing. But then I thought "That's one more thing they have to think about and do during a run."

Doug Kalitta's tires after winning Brainerd in 2005. I thought THESE were bad.

Picture072.jpg

I had no idea the damage to his car was so severe. It sounds like it could have easily turned into an Eric Medlin-type scenario if the tire had lost air pressure. Antron's lucky to come away with only a really sore left foot.

I started a thread a while back about reducing downforce in fuel cars to both increase safety and give the tuner the opportunity to compete easier with the throw-in-everything-we-got guys, but got nothing but grief for it. I personally believe this kind of extreme tire failure would not happen without huge amounts of downforce. Thank God Antron's ok after that one.

I started a thread a while back about reducing downforce in fuel cars to both increase safety and give the tuner the opportunity to compete easier with the throw-in-everything-we-got guys, but got nothing but grief for it. I personally believe this kind of extreme tire failure would not happen without huge amounts of downforce. Thank God Antron's ok after that one.

The problem is NOT downforce. The problem is what has been mentioned a hundred times. Under power the tire is spinning. With the VHT on the track, and with certain track temps, the track has a lot of bite, or grip. When they lift off the throttle, the tire is no longer spinning under power, it is simply rotating. It all of a sudden gets a monstrous amount of grip and the track pulls the center of the tire off. If you have ever walked on the track at a national event you know that it is really sticky when you are walking. if you stop and stand still for a minute, it wants to pull your shoes off. Goodyear has been working on it for years. You have to remember that they want a tire that will not do that, but they are the only tire manufacturer that is making tires for AA Fuel. There is a lot of liability for them.

It has been mentioned by several crew chiefs that taking away downforce is the dumbest idea ever. DOWNFORCE DOES NOT CAUSE THE TIRES TO FAIL!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back