Gatornationals (1 Viewer)

Alky F/C also run 2 spill plates but nothing else. Have been told the bodies are so streamlined that all they need are the spill plates. Wondering on nitro F/C if their set up give the car more MPH?

Got sent to the barn and something didn't pass. They aren't speaking on it yet. FWIW, NHRA needs to be more transparent about this stuff and it should be up on nhraracer.com ASAP for other teams to see. A competitor should know not only that someone was DQ'd in their class, but exactly why also. Increases the integrity of competition for all.
Chassis front half didn't pass.

i remember watching one of rob wedland's videos; pretty sure he was front halfing a chassis. if i recall, there were quite a few items that needed to be
constructed correctly to meet the spec. ........ miss one item and not pass tech? ...... gotta' imagine all the chassis builders were quite busy over the off season, and
probably still mite be.

There were a couple of stories going around, and I'd not rather guess.
A lot happened, but to put it simply when we had tech in our pit in Reading last year to cert our chassis, we asked if we were good to go for 2024’s new regs. We were told the wall thinkness was “within tolerance for .058” “. When we were getting certed at the gators, we were told we’re no good for this year, and need a front half.

Needless to say we were pretty disappointed and after towing all the way down there and not getting anything, Gary seriously considered hanging it up for good. However due to some truly amazing people in the pits/industry we will be updated and ready to go for Charlotte 4wide.

A lot happened, but to put it simply when we had tech in our pit in Reading last year to cert our chassis, we asked if we were good to go for 2024’s new regs. We were told the wall thinkness was “within tolerance for .058” “. When we were getting certed at the gators, we were told we’re no good for this year, and need a front half.

Needless to say we were pretty disappointed and after towing all the way down there and not getting anything, Gary seriously considered hanging it up for good. However due to some truly amazing people in the pits/industry we will be updated and ready to go for Charlotte 4wide.
What does "within tolerances for .058" even mean? Sounds like that inspector didn't know what's up. Must be the same one dealing with Tasca's headers...

I don’t have the rule in front of me. But within tolerance means there is a range you can be within and be considered legal for .058. For example .055-.058. The tubing isn’t exactly .058.

I don’t have the rule in front of me. But within tolerance means there is a range you can be within and be considered legal for .058. For example .055-.058. The tubing isn’t exactly .058.
Actually - 4130 N (Spec for most of the faster classes) and even Mild Steel is pretty close, but when you bend it the outside of the bend stretches and can become thinner. This is whether it is a Mandrel bend or not. You are allowed some but a lot of the time you have to go to the next wall thickness to be within tolerences.

This offseason teams spent a lot of time measuring the thickness of the tubes on the new front half that had to be updated. It was very interesting to see the difference in tolerances. When it comes to the front half of a top fuel car there aren't very many bends that come into play.

I understand the need for a minimum thickness. But can it be thicker, say 0.060”, so as to avoid the metal being stretched too thin in any bends?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back