Garlits' Electric Dragster (1 Viewer)

Big Daddy appears in the main stream media. This article appeared in the Orlando Sentinel.

Attachments

• 200MPH.JPG
    200MPH.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Luke, interesting info. We had a Tesla something with "Ludicrous Mode" at Pomona and matched it up against a Cobra Jet and the Mustang crushed it at every increment down the track. And I know it's not a "Production" car but the E-COPO is WAY faster than any Tesla.

Alan
The requirements for that list are "Street Legal". And the Tesla weighs 5000 pounds. Not a fair comparison, a 5 seat family car and a 1 of XX factory race car with no VIN.

Thanks Luke, interesting info. We had a Tesla something with "Ludicrous Mode" at Pomona and matched it up against a Cobra Jet and the Mustang crushed it at every increment down the track. And I know it's not a "Production" car but the E-COPO is WAY faster than any Tesla.

Alan
I would expect a Cobra Jet to crush it, being an extremely modified (and no longer street legal) version of a production sedan.
As Bob said above, you can buy a Tesla today from the factory and run mid-10s on the quarter, and 0-60 in the low twos, with four wheel drive and traction control that makes it incredibly fast in street conditions (and fit a family inside).
I haven't been in the top Tesla with the Ludicrous mode, just a regular one with the Insane mode, but that was enough to leave a lasting impression on me that electric cars are going to be extremely difficult to top for acceleration on the road. I've driven a dragster and the Tesla launching felt akin to coming off the transbrake!

The day they go electric is the day I will no longer be interested in Drag Racing!
It would be like watching one to one scale slot cars!
I understand the quest and Don’s logic but as I said when and if it happens t drag racing is OVER!

I agree. You can't beat that "cannon shot" sound when a fuel car leaves the starting line and the chest pounding as the car passes by. I never had the experience of seeing an electric race car, but I'm assuming the only sound you hear is the pop when the parachute blossoms and you get is a "whoosh" as it runs down the track.

Last edited:
The day they go electric is the day I will no longer be interested in Drag Racing!
It would be like watching one to one scale slot cars!
I understand the quest and Don’s logic but as I said when and if it happens t drag racing is OVER!

Back in April, when I was coming out of my induced coma in the ICU, for several days the TV made little sense to me. I was glad to see I could get auto racing among all the junk that was on, it was Long Beach Gran Prix I think. But there was something off about it....it seemed like it was oversized R/C cars going round and round, like there was no danger despite the excited yelling the announcers were doing. Instead of screaming engines they had a low growling....sorta toy like. And the passing and one accident into the wall at the finish all seemed scripted. Even though that was all due to my distorted perception, it made me wonder what future racing will become.

it made me wonder what future racing will become.
Here are some images from the New York Formula E race - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/g...ula-e-hits-new-york-city-in-pictures-sam-bird
Note the amount of manufacturer support and the inner-city location - extremely unusual for a motor race. Drag racing can either choose to be a part of this (and remember, just because electric exists doesn't mean internal combustion doesn't) or it can keep its head in the sand.
But imagine for a second a totally different drag racing event, perhaps one inside a major city, where all the manufacturers bring their latest hot rods to duke it out. Imagine a festival feel, lots of music, commentators amping up (pardon the pun) each race. Big wheelstands, tight racing, brand loyalty, light shows, beer stands. At the end of the day, most sports don't rely on the spectacle of the sport itself - baseball is just a man hitting a ball with a bat. It's not inherently exciting, but the level of competition and atmosphere at the game makes it interesting. Drag racing is in a position to be creative and have an arm of the sport that goes to different places than traditionally. Variety has always been one of our strengths. You can be into radial cars, or nitro cars, or bracket cars, or nostalgia cars and there is always something for you. Electric will give us another group of supporters and that is something we should not turn down.

Luke this is a good idea. I've seen a number of electrics make a run. Was interesting to me just cuz it was different. But a whole race with only electrics? Dunno.... until I read what you proposed. I agree it would showcase drag racing in a totally different way. Would like to see someone stage an event like this. Could also do drag racing as a part of a road race event in the city. We had a Formula One race in Phoenix in 1990's & they raced on a street circuit. Or, maybe a drag strip could hold an electric vehicle day, which could include drags, road racing, showcase for electric cars, a course to let people drive an electric, etc etc. Once at PIR (now ISM Raceway), the oval track here in Phoenix, they had an electric day that featured solar powered cars and a race. Was boring to watch, but the technology was being developed. late 1980's I think.

Hi Mike. Just me thinking out loud. Thought it would be interesting to showcase drag racing at the same event with whatever. Would be interesting to see something like that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back