Garlits' Electric Dragster (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure what the motor weighed but the whole car was about 1500 pounds. It was around 1000 pounds lighter than the last car.
Gearing changes can be done easily as it was chain driven, so it only needed sprocket changes.
The 189mph pass had two dead battery cells. The last pass would have been really interesting were it not for the axle failure. It looked a lot more powerful in the burnout.
Also worth noting that motor is the same one from the bike Larry McBride rode so it's relatively old.
There was another team's dragster hidden in a trailer at Palm Beach on the day with a newer motor. I'm not sure what I can say but it was a lot smaller motor for a lot more output.

Hmmmm Chain drive. This kinda reminds me of when Big ran that "sidewinder' dragster some years ago. Most sidewinder cars had chain drive but Garlits used gears instead of a chain. I wonder if he could do that with the electric car?

Hmmmm Chain drive. This kinda reminds me of when Big ran that "sidewinder' dragster some years ago. Most sidewinder cars had chain drive but Garlits used gears instead of a chain. I wonder if he could do that with the electric car?
I'd think that a gearbox would add too much weight and cause too much parasitic power loss.

Hi David. Now that you said that, reminded me that one of the reasons that Garlits gave up on the design was that the gears took too much power from the engine (parasitic loss) and the engine couldn't make enough power to compensate. The design did cancel the "torque reaction" (for lack of a better term) when the car left the line. Garlits said it planted the tires evenly. Too bad it didn't work, cuz that was such a interesting design.

[QUOTE="Luke Nieuwhof, post: 392169, member: 6858, nickname: Luke Nieuwhof"
There was another team's dragster hidden in a trailer at Palm Beach on the day with a newer motor. I'm not sure what I can say but it was a lot smaller motor for a lot more output.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming it was electric also. Interesting that it was "hidden" in a trailer. Why didn't they make a run? Did Garlits ask them not to because this was his day for the glory?
A side by side exhibition rum would've have been a great promotion for electric dragsters.
From the photos I've seen, Garlits is wearing a fire suit. Why would a driver wear a fire suit in an electric dragster? There's no fuel to catch fire. The only thing I can think of is, battery explosion.

I think Garlits had on a fire suit because the rules state he has to wear it. I don't know if the electric motor could catch on fire, but maybe the batteries could.

How would he license for an electric dragster? T/D license?

I think Garlits had on a fire suit because the rules state he has to wear it. I don't know if the electric motor could catch on fire, but maybe the batteries could.

How would he license for an electric dragster? T/D license?

He ran at a non NHRA track, probably didn't even have to show a valid drivers license

Thanks Bob. That was interesting to read. The world seems to want to make everyone get into electrics, but that type of car has a long way to go.

Like it or not I think electric drag racing cars are coming more all the time.
It's a little hard to get used to but the acceleration is really wild on these cars.

For many drag strips where noise is a problem this could be the answer they need.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Like it or not it looks like some form of this will happen. Since the 2022 Indy Cars are going to be Hybrid nothing is sacred anymore. If this thing happens it is possible that stock bodied cars or even specially fabricated ones could show more interest than Dragsters. Along with Motor (maybe we will call them Engines now :p) development - new drive trains - controls and battery engineering could get the manufactures interested like they were in the 60's & 70's. It could also interest a new young crowd to get involved in drag racing. When you think about it electronics would play a huge part in this. Motors could change horsepower (Torque) almost instantaneously multiple times to control traction as well as drive trains that we haven't even thought about and braking could be assisted through the motor electronically.

Last edited:
OK, the deal is to install loud speakers on each electric car. Broadcast the sound of nitro as the car makes a pass. Add fake exhausts with "flames" coming out and that will do the trick. ;)

OK, the deal is to install loud speakers on each electric car. Broadcast the sound of nitro as the car makes a pass. Add fake exhausts with "flames" coming out and that will do the trick. ;)

didn't Ford try this in the Mustang ??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back