Garlits 72 hour special (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Ok we all know the story of how Big vowed not to shave until he ran a six and how he built the new car in 72 hours before coming to Indy. My question is if I remember how the story went was at the Springnationals at Bristol he failed to qualify and vowed to be back with new car andbeard and would not shave until he ran that 6. I'm guessing the Bristol race was in late May-early June and we all know when Indy is. Was the Indy race the first race with this car or did he match race before with it.

This past weekend is the first time I have seen this car and don't even believe it was in the museum and I'm amazed as to how fragile this thing looks, but that was what they did back in the day.
DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

Yes it's amazing how simple those cars were. I was looking over Gary Cochran's rear engine car which was cackled, and it was equally simple. And that's also why they were 1000 pounds lighter.

My favorite Garlits car. How in the world did he drive it without the auto shut-off box? Not to mention the multi-mode ignition, auto retard, clutch timing computers and on and on.....:eek:

Big looks to be in amazing health for a dude in his 80's. Wouldn't it be something if they discovered occasional does of CH3NO2, long rides in poorly sprung pickups and carrying 392 iron Hemi cylinder heads might actually be life extending.

I hope he lives to be 150. He is the conscience of drag racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back