GA Vs Glidden (1 Viewer)

Since they aren't running the DRCE3 bottom end, you probably shouldn't be too impressed. It's true that they are up at the top of the field with Cagnazi & Company at this time but, for the record, they are running DRCE2 bottom ends. I only know of three Pro Stocker racers who have run the DRCE3 bottom end throughout this season and GA/JL isn't in that group.

If that's true (and I don't doubt you), then I'd run the DRCE2 bottom end. Isn't WJ running the full DRCE3?

I think that a lot of people forget one very important fact - the last time WJ was winning races he had a guy by the name of Greg Anderson on his team. Maybe coincidentally, but when GA left the Professor's team, the Professor stopped winning.

There are 2 records of any importance in PS that GA does not own - most wins and most championships. I would bet on him taking most wins, but 10 championships is going to be one heck of a tall order.

If I had to pick one guy to drive, it would be Ronnie Sox. If I had to pick one guy to build a car it would be BG.

FYI - I am a Mopar fan. GA, WJ, and BG kill me, but I have nothing but respect for those guys.

I think that a lot of people forget one very important fact - the last time WJ was winning races he had a guy by the name of Greg Anderson on his team. Maybe coincidentally, but when GA left the Professor's team, the Professor stopped winning.

Brent ole buddy,you really need to research things before you make such a statement. GA began his driving career in 98,that means he had left WJ. WJ won the 98,99 & 01 P/S Championships,what in the hell are you talking about "stopped winning"? Of course these stats are courtesy of NHRA's website and you of all people should know how reliable it is.

Brent ole buddy,you really need to research things before you make such a statement. GA began his driving career in 98,that means he had left WJ. WJ won the 98,99 & 01 P/S Championships,what in the hell are you talking about "stopped winning"? Of course these stats are courtesy of NHRA's website and you of all people should know how reliable it is.
Ok, I hate to get involved in this debate, however, since none of the other active Pro Stock community (including Pat Barrett) will comment on this debate I will jump in with both feet.
Here Goes:
I will go on the record as saying today and I have said it many times in the past, on the record, that BG is my hero...Period...! He is the best Pro Stock racer of all times. He did it on his own terms, on his own nickle with his family in any brand of car that the drove.
Next:
WJ is the best Pro Stock racer of the last 10 years. Look at the record. He has won 4 championships over the last 10 years; he did it his way, on his own nickel, with his family, and still today the 60+ year old grandfather can still beat anyone on any given day. Anyone that isn't considering KJ a contender for the championship this year is negligent. When the chips are down KJ, who has been tutored by the Old Man for many years may turn some heads.
Finally:
GA is the best Pro Stock driver currently racing. Sure, he has the financial backing of KB and is surrounded by a great team. But when he straps the helmet on, last time I checked, he is the only one sitting in the driver's seat. He is killer on the starting line day in and day out, and he does a great job of hitting all four shifts and keeping the car in the middle of the groove to get the win light. For those of you who have never driven a Pro Stock car, I will tell you that letting the clutch out is the easiest thing to do. Making four perfectly timed gear changes and keeping the car in the middle of the groove in the heat of competition late on a Sunday afternoon is a handful. GA has proven that when the chips are down and the cars are running close ETs he will make the difference and turn the win light on.
Now:
I think you have to remember that GA's ability as a team manager could probably be contributed to the many years that he worked with WJ and KJ. GA was a vital part of that team during the mid 90's when we competed with them for more than one championship. Even after GA left, WJ continuted to win championships. It is obvious that during GA's tenure with WJ he acquired a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience and now that he has his own team with KB's financial backing he can put that knowledge to work.
I think that the point of this thread to determine who is the better Pro Stock racer is like trying to determine which is better...Vodka or Tequila...they both have great attributes. And beyond that, it is just a matter of your point of view or attitude on that particular day.

One thing Yates said that I totally agree with. KJ can bring it home when the Countdown starts. He should make the cut and if WJ can do well @ Brainerd,he should make the cut too. I didn't like the Countdown deal when it was announced but it's a great equalizer and will make the chase interesting. Another thing I agree with him on,boxers,briefs or commando,it's your choice on any given day.:eek:

One thing Yates said that I totally agree with. KJ can bring it home when the Countdown starts. He should make the cut and if WJ can do well @ Brainerd,he should make the cut too. I didn't like the Countdown deal when it was announced but it's a great equalizer and will make the chase interesting. Another thing I agree with him on,boxers,briefs or commando,it's your choice on any given day.:eek:

so would u still like the chase if WJ/KJ was ahead 200 points from the next closest car :rolleyes:

Jim, thanks for your insightful post!
It kinda ruins our speculation when you introduce first hand knowledge from the point of view of the top-shelf competitor rather than us arm-chair crew chiefs.

We're all pulling for you to land a sponsor the size of Microsoft so you can fly your personal jet to the races and have unlimited resources to strut your stuff. Best of luck to you, Toni, Jamie and bunch.

going back to best 'pure' current driver, this is how ive come up with my conclusion:

if NHRA held an IROC style race, where every driver gets the exact same car, who do you put your money on? i don't know about you guys, but i'm putting my checkbook down on Jeggie

Ok, I hate to get involved in this debate, however, since none of the other active Pro Stock community (including Pat Barrett) will comment on this debate I will jump in with both feet.
Here Goes:
I will go on the record as saying today and I have said it many times in the past, on the record, that BG is my hero...Period...! He is the best Pro Stock racer of all times. He did it on his own terms, on his own nickle with his family in any brand of car that the drove.
Next:
WJ is the best Pro Stock racer of the last 10 years. Look at the record. He has won 4 championships over the last 10 years; he did it his way, on his own nickel, with his family, and still today the 60+ year old grandfather can still beat anyone on any given day. Anyone that isn't considering KJ a contender for the championship this year is negligent. When the chips are down KJ, who has been tutored by the Old Man for many years may turn some heads.
Finally:
GA is the best Pro Stock driver currently racing. Sure, he has the financial backing of KB and is surrounded by a great team. But when he straps the helmet on, last time I checked, he is the only one sitting in the driver's seat. He is killer on the starting line day in and day out, and he does a great job of hitting all four shifts and keeping the car in the middle of the groove to get the win light. For those of you who have never driven a Pro Stock car, I will tell you that letting the clutch out is the easiest thing to do. Making four perfectly timed gear changes and keeping the car in the middle of the groove in the heat of competition late on a Sunday afternoon is a handful. GA has proven that when the chips are down and the cars are running close ETs he will make the difference and turn the win light on.
Now:
I think you have to remember that GA's ability as a team manager could probably be contributed to the many years that he worked with WJ and KJ. GA was a vital part of that team during the mid 90's when we competed with them for more than one championship. Even after GA left, WJ continuted to win championships. It is obvious that during GA's tenure with WJ he acquired a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience and now that he has his own team with KB's financial backing he can put that knowledge to work.
I think that the point of this thread to determine who is the better Pro Stock racer is like trying to determine which is better...Vodka or Tequila...they both have great attributes. And beyond that, it is just a matter of your point of view or attitude on that particular day.

How can you argue with that? Great post Jim. Good luck the rest of the year. Hope you can find a sponsor and stay out here.

going back to best 'pure' current driver, this is how ive come up with my conclusion:

if NHRA held an IROC style race, where every driver gets the exact same car, who do you put your money on? i don't know about you guys, but i'm putting my checkbook down on Jeggie

Me too. Best pure driver...Jeggie!

so would u still like the chase if WJ/KJ was ahead 200 points from the next closest car :rolleyes:

Are you crazy,no I wouldn't be for the Countdown if my guys were 200 points out front. I've learned one thing in life,when in Rome,do as the Romans do. At least I'm honest about it.:D

I surrender!!

You win!! I think that about sums it up.

[But, of course, everybody knows Vodka is better than Tequila].:p

Or how much Vodka or Tequila one has had that day. :)

You are correct sir! I was going from memory and apparently I have come down with a little CRS disease. GA did help WJ win 4 of his 6 championships though and you can bet that GA learned a lot working for WJ for 12 years.

Other than that, I pretty much completely agree with what Jim Yates said.

No shift lights, electric shocks, air shifters, Lenco, etc....Some guys used to actually leave the starting line by releasing a clutch pedal :eek:, and not pushing/releasing a button on the steering wheel.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. but I thought NOW all PS cars have to let the clutch out with your foot.. (& NO air shifters.. they have to shift it manually.. however with the "Liberty" trans there is no need to use the clutch to shift through the gears, BUT you do have to use the clutch peddle to launch in 1st gear off the line...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. but I thought NOW all PS cars have to let the clutch out with your foot.. (& NO air shifters.. they have to shift it manually.. however with the "Liberty" trans there is no need to use the clutch to shift through the gears, BUT you do have to use the clutch peddle to launch in 1st gear off the line...

You are correct...

As Jim stated in his earlier post, driving these cars is no walk in the park. They have approximately twice the horsepower of the original Pro Stockers...which can't be easy to handle.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back