GA Vs Glidden (1 Viewer)

i think in 10-15 years jeggie will have his mark up there with anderson, glidden, johnson, etc. he's really only getting "started."

Best pure driver ever? Easy! Jeggie....

I remember when Warren used to make fun of Jeggie making "400 passes a week" on his practice tree. Now who's laughing...?

Bob Glidden won 32 NHRA points meets between 1968 and 1981 including 5 in Super Stock and 1 in Stock (Indy 1968).

They always leave out all the divisional races these guys did back in the days before national events only counted for points. How many point meets did Bob G win?

I think to get a complete picture for the 70's & 80's guys you need to add point meets + NHRA + IHRA + AHRA national events together to get a complete picture of how many races Bob did win.

Remember todays guys only run 23 races a year.

Great point Wayne. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

They are both great drivers, but I will have to give the edge to BG for being a one man "TEAM"

Best pure driver ever? Easy! Jeggie....

Pure driver......not too sure about that one. Jeg is great, and I am taking nothing away from him.

Since we are comparing different generations, I would say [and maybe I am partial ;)] that the early pro stock guys may have had better "drivers" .

No shift lights, electric shocks, air shifters, Lenco, etc....Some guys used to actually leave the starting line by releasing a clutch pedal :eek:, and not pushing/releasing a button on the steering wheel.

Best pure drivers. I would think in Pro stock that conversation can not be had without mentioning Ronnie Sox

The analogy I use every time this subject comes up is the Baseball home run record. Roger Maris hit 60 or 61 home runs in appox. 120 games. When Mark McGuire broke the record,he had 160+ games to do it,who was the home run champ? McGuire of course. Who has the most wins in P/S? I believe it's WJ with 96 wins,so he's the champ.:)

Theres no doubt WJ is the homerun king with 96 and GA would need another 5 to 6 seasons of averaging 7 or 8 wins a year to catch up and that is indeed a very tall task to achieve. One thing GA has in his favor is Warren doesn’t seem to be adding to his total the last couple of years.

The analogy I use every time this subject comes up is the Baseball home run record. Roger Maris hit 60 or 61 home runs in appox. 120 games. When Mark McGuire broke the record,he had 160+ games to do it,who was the home run champ? McGuire of course. Who has the most wins in P/S? I believe it's WJ with 96 wins,so he's the champ.:)

Roger Maris also played a 162 game season, he also hit his 61 home run in the last game of the season in the 4th inning.

Last edited:
Roger Maris also played a 162 game season, he also hit his 61 home run in the last game of the season in the 4th inning.

Correct, that is the genesis of the dreaded asterisk. Maris hit 61 home runs in a 162 game season, where as Babe Ruth had hit 60 home runs in a 154 game season. The baseball powers that be felt that the 8 extra games that Maris had to break the record should be reflected to preserve the integrity of the Babe's record. So by baseball edict, the record was always represented as 61*.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Who has the most wins in P/S? I believe it's WJ with 96 wins,so he's the champ.:)

Hold on with your crowning of WJ...remember, he didn't have Glidden to compete with during his best years. Hmmm...! Bob sure had a great record against WJ and would have surely taken some of Warren's event wins away from him had he still been on the circuit. Another note to consider is that Greg Anderson is marching to the top of the list when the competition is tougher than ever. Many of Warren's wins came at a time when there were just a handful of top competing cars. The bottom half of fields in the 80's were frequently way off the leaders.

No one has dominated the class when the competion was so close as has Greg Anderson.

I just wish he drove a Dodge...

No one has dominated the class when the competion was so close as has Greg Anderson.

It's only close if Greg screws up..he has had the field covered by 3/100's for years.

If and when he gets to 96..he'll be in the same category.

If and when he gets to 96..he'll be in the same category.

Greg has had Warren totally covered for how many years now?? Greg is already in the same category as Warren, and when you consider how he continues to outperform Warren, a strong case could be made for Greg beging in a class by himself...without the man formally known as 'The Professor'.

Greg has had Warren totally covered for how many years now?? Greg is already in the same category as Warren, and when you consider how he continues to outperform Warren, a strong case could be made for Greg beging in a class by himself...without the man formally known as 'The Professor'.

He continues to outperform and totally has the the Mopars covered too. The bottom line is,WJ is the WINNINGEST P/S DRIVER EVER until somebody passes him PERIOD.

Hold on with your crowning of WJ...remember, he didn't have Glidden to compete with during his best years. Hmmm...! Bob sure had a great record against WJ and would have surely taken some of Warren's event wins away from him had he still been on the circuit. Another note to consider is that Greg Anderson is marching to the top of the list when the competition is tougher than ever. Many of Warren's wins came at a time when there were just a handful of top competing cars. The bottom half of fields in the 80's were frequently way off the leaders.

Warren would have taken some of the wins away from a certain Mopar team and would have a few more Championships if he'd had the throttle in a bottle too.

Warren would have taken some of the wins away from a certain Mopar team and would have a few more Championships if he'd had the throttle in a bottle too.

I agree Mike...those were very dark days for Mopar and NHRA...as they helped cover up what was going on. Don't forget DA's drug trafficing bust. What a mess that was, and what a black eye that was on Mopar and NHRA. I was shocked that Mopar continued to employ DA...

Here's my point on Greg and Warren. Give both guys a month to prepare for the ultimate match race. Line those two up and let 'em run. I can't imagine, no matter how many rounds they run each other, how Warren would ever pull off one victory against Greg (unless Greg broke). Warren's not even close to being a top performing car and hasn't been for many years. He's a mid-pack car at best...

I think longetivity counts for more. It is good and impressive to have a 4 or 5 year streak like Greg has had. But lets look at other sports where somebody goes nuts for a few years then falls off the map. Greg's march is impressive and if/when he continues it for a few more years then he will easily be with or ahead fo Glidden and Johnson.

I think longetivity counts for more. It is good and impressive to have a 4 or 5 year streak like Greg has had. But lets look at other sports where somebody goes nuts for a few years then falls off the map. Greg's march is impressive and if/when he continues it for a few more years then he will easily be with or ahead fo Glidden and Johnson.

I realize it probably reads like I'm a big GA fan. I'm "ok" with Greg, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. That said, I certainly recognize what he has accomplished. He's had the entire class covered for the last five years...a period in Pro Stock where the parity is higher than ever. When you consider the rule revisions and efforts by the rest of the field to match his performance, I find it impressive how the Summit cars have maintained a performance advantage over all comers. Amazing...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back