GA Vs Glidden (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
First of all, just wanted to congratulate Greg and the Ken "Black curtain" boys on there 50th. What I found interesting is how quickly greg has achieved 50 in only 5 or 6 seasons. What I found even more interesting was the stat they showed comparing Anderson ,Glidden, and Johnson. Bob G won his 50th somewhere around his 138th start, way before either Greg or WJ. I’m willing to bet if Glidden had as many chances to win back in the day, as they do now, Even John Force wouldnt be anywhere near catching him.

I beleive you are correct. One season in the late 70's he won 7 of 8 races, just think if there were 23 races back then.

Bob Glidden parked a race car that was undefeated in competition, I don't know if anyone else will ever be able to say that.

Bob Glidden parked a race car that was undefeated in competition, I don't know if anyone else will ever be able to say that.

It will NEVER happen again because the competition is so unbelievably tough now in Pro Stock. I am not knocking Glidden, his work ethic is legendary, but late 70's - early 80's Pro Stock was generally weak after the top 3 or 4 qualifiers. The field was spread by several tenths, and you could generally cruise to the semi's if you were Glidden. It was basically Glidden, WJ, the Grump and Lee Shepherd and that was about it. Some interlopers came along every now and then and won some races, but generally speaking, those 4 guys were trading all the wins.

Now, it is as hard to qualify as it is to go rounds (sometimes harder). Fields are spread by a few hun. No cruisin' to the semi's anymore, you gotta be on top of your setup AND your driving game every time you stage the car, or you are going on the trailer.

I do agree that if there were 23 races per year back then, Glidden would have put the record out of reach (just like Richard Petty did back when NASCAR sanctioned over 50 races a year), BUT IMO, it is harder to win 50 now than 100 back then.

I will repeat for those that have comprehension issues, I am not knocking Glidden, the man is a legend and is a deserving winner and multi-time champion, I am just illustrating how far the sport has come in terms of competition.

excellent post chris. glidden is awesome in hisdays, maybe #1 pro stock guy of all time but you have to give it to greg for 50 wins so fast in an era where its hard as hell to just qualify never mind going rounds up against the drivers like, jeggie, dave connely, allen johnson, stanfield, ritcihe stevens ect ect. pro stock is more competitive than ever thats why to me its more amazing what greg is doing now than back in the day.

I read elsewhere that if you took Glidden's winning percentages and applied it to today's schedule he would have won roughly 183 races.

...............It was basically Glidden, WJ, the Grump and Lee Shepherd and that was about it...............
.............and we can't forget Frank Iaconio. He won his share in that time, but yeah, it was pretty much all Glidden. Had Lee Shepherd not passed away, things may have been a little tougher.

Last edited:
Re: Glidden vs. Shepard

We were at Green Valley Race City in Dallas in the early 80's and was able to watch Bob and Lee go at it during time trials, they set the P. S. record 5 times in one afternoon, I don't remember who left the strip with the record but it was fun to watch, it was before 500 inch motors so they were running 8.20's @ 170 or so.

Re: Glidden vs. Shepard

We were at Green Valley Race City in Dallas in the early 80's and was able to watch Bob and Lee go at it during time trials, they set the P. S. record 5 times in one afternoon, I don't remember who left the strip with the record but it was fun to watch, it was before 500 inch motors so they were running 8.20's @ 170 or so.

Mark that is one of my grandpa's favorite stories to tell.

And just think how many races Bob could have won if he did not have NHRA adding weight to his Ford combo every other week......

excellent post chris. glidden is awesome in hisdays, maybe #1 pro stock guy of all time but you have to give it to greg for 50 wins so fast in an era where its hard as hell to just qualify never mind going rounds up against the drivers like, jeggie, dave connely, allen johnson, stanfield, ritcihe stevens ect ect. pro stock is more competitive than ever thats why to me its more amazing what greg is doing now than back in the day.

Jeff...I totally agree. I realize there are people who don't support Greg, but his record during the most competitive era in class history speaks for itself. He simply has accomplished things no one else can. The entire class is chasing the Summit cars. There's a new Professor in Pro Stock and his name is...Greg Anderson!

That said....I sure hope Allen Johnson takes him out in the countdown! :D

Though I truly respect what the summit team has accomplished, I look back at people like Glidden, Grump and WJ with amazment considering they were a one man band. They did it all. Notice I did not include RM w/ Lee Shepard because that was always a group effort. No disrespect intended because I thought Lee was one of the nicest and skilled people I have ever had the privledge to know.

To do what these people did without all the tools and information available now is remearkable.....

BTW: Another person from the era or just before was Don nicholson.

just my opinion.

jim

Excellent point. Those guys were soldiers that did it by themselves with the help of their wives and kids. We all watched the Glidden kids grow up on TNN.

Back to Greg Anderson, I still believe he's accomplished more, during the most competitive era in the class. No matter how much the rest of the class targets him, he still maintains a competitive edge on them. It's one team versus the field...

i think in 10-15 years jeggie will have his mark up there with anderson, glidden, johnson, etc. he's really only getting "started."

If the 70s had 15-20 events, Garlits, Shirley and Prudhomme would have added to their total too. My favorite Glidden year was 79, after being factored out of a Ford, switch brands and kick more butt.

i think in 10-15 years jeggie will have his mark up there with anderson, glidden, johnson, etc. he's really only getting "started."

With Jeggies driving abilites in multiple classes I'd say he already ranks as one of the top over all drivers along with Rampy and Fletcher.

I suppose the great thing about debating different generations is that there really is no right answer. Yes Anderson wins are coming when the fields are deeper but Glidden won with a lot less funding and he didn't have a huge team either. Anderson has enjoyed several hundreths advantage over a tight field with all the teams knowing most of the same tricks, Glidden used to have a tenth on the field in the days as the class was developing and more creativity was allowed, he helped lead the way. Which is more impressive? Who knows. I like looking at race win % and round %. Either way both of these guys are great...although being a life long WJ fan I am not allowed to root for either one:D

Jeff...I totally agree. I realize there are people who don't support Greg, but his record during the most competitive era in class history speaks for itself. He simply has accomplished things no one else can. The entire class is chasing the Summit cars. There's a new Professor in Pro Stock and his name is...Greg Anderson!

That said....I sure hope Allen Johnson takes him out in the countdown! :D

actually i'd like to think of it as a dual professorship - greg and jason.
these two could field competitive teams on their own, but together
with KB Racing dare i say they've almost redifined the class.
i would guess as the team originated with greg, he gets their #1 engine,
jason probably the #2, then greg #3 and then jason #4, so if both
chassis are performing equally, i think this is why greg usually has the edge.
i am certainly a fan of theirs.

They always leave out all the divisional races these guys did back in the days before national events only counted for points. How many point meets did Bob G win?

I think to get a complete picture for the 70's & 80's guys you need to add point meets + NHRA + IHRA + AHRA national events together to get a complete picture of how many races Bob did win.

Remember todays guys only run 23 races a year.

Last edited:
actually i'd like to think of it as a dual professorship - greg and jason.
these two could field competitive teams on their own, but together
with KB Racing dare i say they've almost redifined the class.
i would guess as the team originated with greg, he gets their #1 engine,
jason probably the #2, then greg #3 and then jason #4, so if both
chassis are performing equally, i think this is why greg usually has the edge.
i am certainly a fan of theirs.

They really have "re-defined" the class. They've made every team work harder, invest more time and resources and have made every one better at what they do. All this at a time when the class is more difficult to compete in than at any point in it's history. Amazing!

Please know, I'm not necessarily a fan of the Summit cars, but I certainly can respect their abilities and record.

I just wish they drove Dodges! I think these boys could make a Studebaker fly! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back