Future of IHRA Nitro Funny Car? (1 Viewer)

Hmmmm, a new batch of rumors Drag Racing Internet Magazine - Competition Plus.com - THE IHRA'S 13? I guess I would say planning on 13 events would be a move in the right direction. My gut is starting to tell me that the IHRA has everything in place for next year but they are holding out, like they did with the alky funnies a couple of years ago, in hopes to lure in some sponsors to foot the bill. I don't like that they are keeping everyone in the dark, but it seems to be the way they have done business the last few years.

"Holding out" as you said - if true - is a very bad play if that's what IHRA is doing. And really - only they know what that is. We can pass rumors around and speculate about what's going to happen - or even some of the things the IHRA proposed would happen (ie: Nitro Funny Cars). But until an official announcement is made - it means nothing.

We can't assume it's 'business as usual' - since... well... it's not. There are new owners.

The frustration is that many teams and sponsors and tracks and potential sponsors are all sitting around trying to figure out exactly what they want to do next year concerning drag racing.

So the problem as I see it is the longer they wait to tell all of us what's going on the bigger a problem it can become for IHRA and all of us who like to play over there. At some point someone has to show some direction and a vision for what this 'new IHRA' is going to look like.

Otherwise, everyone will start making other plans based on what is 'known'. And that may... or may not include IHRA since no one really knows what that is...

So... speculate what you (we) will. But that fact is it's past time to plan for 2009. I fear the idea of including IHRA in a 2009 plan is quickly closing for some of us.

So... speculate what you (we) will. But that fact is it's past time to plan for 2009. I fear the idea of including IHRA in a 2009 plan is quickly closing for some of us.

Yep....you are so right on Jim. Not only hard for the pro teams....but even the sportsman. And as you know....I work both sides. SIGH....

(giggle) Between the election and IHRA in '09......:eek:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

lol ;)

Thats what Billy should have done to start with. It would be together by now. I know he and a few others wanted to grab some of that Brass ring but it looks like its over. Its to bad.

He just bought a Rob Moore reverser because he couldn't stand what the Lenco ones are now going for. His roller is VERY close to being ready to go. He did start out to go nostalgia and then the IHRA opportunity opened up. While people criticized his slow progress, he was accumulating three of everything. Like he says, one in the car, one in the trailer, and one being serviced.

Now he's REALLY p*ssed! While dropping some headers off at his place and pulling out from a different direction this time, my trailer ripped out every cable and phone wire from the house he rents a room in! Now he has no internet or TV! :D

"Holding out" as you said - if true - is a very bad play if that's what IHRA is doing. And really - only they know what that is. We can pass rumors around and speculate about what's going to happen - or even some of the things the IHRA proposed would happen (ie: Nitro Funny Cars). But until an official announcement is made - it means nothing.

We can't assume it's 'business as usual' - since... well... it's not. There are new owners.

The frustration is that many teams and sponsors and tracks and potential sponsors are all sitting around trying to figure out exactly what they want to do next year concerning drag racing.

So the problem as I see it is the longer they wait to tell all of us what's going on the bigger a problem it can become for IHRA and all of us who like to play over there. At some point someone has to show some direction and a vision for what this 'new IHRA' is going to look like.

Otherwise, everyone will start making other plans based on what is 'known'. And that may... or may not include IHRA since no one really knows what that is...

Preach on brother man.....lol.. Nice post Jim....

Billy

From what I have heard from several sources, there is no future for fuel funny car in IHRA. But there has been a resurgent interest for these cars in the match race arena. If you have a fuel funny car that can run in the low 5's, consistantly getting down the track, you also can get aboard this match racing mania and make more money than running IHRA national events. Current car owners are getting many calls as we speak.

From what I have heard from several sources, there is no future for fuel funny car in IHRA. But there has been a resurgent interest for these cars in the match race arena. If you have a fuel funny car that can run in the low 5's, consistantly getting down the track, you also can get aboard this match racing mania and make more money than running IHRA national events. Current car owners are getting many calls as we speak.

Low 5's? Do you mean 1320 or 1000 ft?

In the1320, and 4.20's in the 1000' ,or 660' distance if the track wants.
They are looking at 10 dates with four to six cars for a start.
Some of the IHRA tracks are interested. :)

Hmmm. Maybe kinda like I proposed in the very first thread when I started this post? I said eight cars but would go to see four or six if it was close enough to me. :)

Drag Racing Internet Magazine - Competition Plus.com - POLBURN: SERIES SPONSOR UNSIGNED

POLBURN: NO SERIES SPONSOR
Written by Bobby Bennett, Photo by Roger Richards
Friday, 28 November 2008

IHRA President Confirms Three Pro Classes Full-time in 2009

Polburn confirmed the base of the IHRA program will consist of three professional divisions – Top Fuel, Pro Modified and Pro Stock. Pending an 11th hour reprieve, both the Nitro and Alcohol Funny Car divisions will not return on a full-time basis, if at all. Those eliminators were funded through sponsorship money from Torco Race Fuels.

they might check and see if any Pro Mods will even show.. rumor has it more "regulars" for Prom Mod from the last season are jumping into he JEGS and ADRL... no more IHRA Pro Mod for those racers....

Billy

If IHRA signs a series sponsor would they not then have money to bring back both Funny Car classes?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back