"Funny Car Summer" question (1 Viewer)

nitrogirl

Nitro Member
For those of you who have seen/own "Funny Car Summer," there is a song that I suppose is called "California Feeling." It is played during the opening credits. Any idea who sings that? I have been trying to find out because I wanna get it, but I've had no luck.
Thanks! :)

Joelle, according to www.allmusic.com, The Beachboys had a song called "California Feelin" Did it sound like them? Otherwise they listed a song called "Feeling California" by an artist named Darren Geffre. Hope tha helps.

I don't know, but I love that "I'm firing, I'm flyin' song, whatever the name of it is. I guess you'd call that the psychodelic portion, LOL. Whenever I see Mike Dunn on TV I'm remembering him doing the fire burnout on his bicycle. :D

Yeah, the psychedelic portion of that has some cool music! And I think the sound of that woman screaming is hysterical during most of the crash scenes. Those who have seen it will definitely know what I'm talking about.
Joe, I checked on both of those choices on iTunes, but it is a woman singing. Can't recognize the voice.
Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has other ideas, please post 'em.

When I watch that movie, I think about the trouble they had to go to in order to make it. Look at where some of those shots are from when he's travelling. I sure wish they'd followed others around and documented during the same era. I also wish that Jim was on here to comment about the making of that film while we're talking about it. I bet he'd have some interesting insights.

Also, look at the price of gas when he pulls into a station at night. What is it, .319?

I recently introduced that movie to my boyfriend, who is involved in racing, and he has watched it at least 10 times.
It is a classic, my favorite car movie hands down. I guess it really makes me appreciate that this was the era when my dad was so involved in racing and we went with him quite a bit.
It's pretty interesting when he talks about getting into a funny car operation for about $30-40k. Don't I wish that's what it cost now!
I took my DVD to the track in April and asked Jim to sign it for me. It was cool to see the look on his face when I handed it to him; he sorta lit up, for lack of a better explanation.
I would love for him to comment on it.

I recently introduced that movie to my boyfriend, who is involved in racing, and he has watched it at least 10 times.
It is a classic, my favorite car movie hands down. I guess it really makes me appreciate that this was the era when my dad was so involved in racing and we went with him quite a bit.
It's pretty interesting when he talks about getting into a funny car operation for about $30-40k. Don't I wish that's what it cost now!
I took my DVD to the track in April and asked Jim to sign it for me. It was cool to see the look on his face when I handed it to him; he sorta lit up, for lack of a better explanation.
I would love for him to comment on it.

I love the Nostalgia of those old Movies and all. But I'm am glad we dpn't run Natl. events on those old facilities anymore! They we're Dumps! OCIR excluding....

It says that Jim Dunn's site is under "reconstruction", but I found Mike Dunn's site and sent him an e-mail. Told him what we were talking about and how much we'd appreciate it if he or his dad would go to the trouble of joining. One of them might even know the answer to your question, or how to find it.

http://www.mikedunnracing.com/index.html

In the history section, watch the funny cars go from no side windows, to partial, to full, to having the fire hole. Like many back then, going unsponsored in the early 80s on nitro getting paid to put on a show via match racing.

Last edited:
I found a goldmine of racing films at the Super Chevy show , part of the midway. The guy has every car movie ever made .
A lot more than I ever knew existed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back