Fuelled - the story of the world's quickest amputee (1 Viewer)

Luke Nieuwhof

Nitro Member
Hi guys, I wanted to let you know about a project I am working on currently with Australian Top Fuel Harley rider Benny Stevens.
Benny has raced at a few NHRA Top Fuel Harley events right now but he has an incredible life story. He beat testicular cancer in his early twenties and then had a leg amputated in his late twenties following an accident while preparing for a quad bike stunt. But he has never let these life events get in the way of his goals and he has turned them into new ones - including becoming the world's quickest amputee by riding a Top Fuel Harley (going after a record that was held by Pro Stock Motorcycle rider Reggie Showers).
Now I'm working with Benny as a ghost writer to put his story into words. We've launched a Kickstarter for his book, titled Fuelled - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/160320040/fuelled-benny-stevens-life-story
I think if you enjoyed books like Jim O's Top Fuel for Life, this is one you will get into. It's a lot of life story with bits of drag racing mixed in. With the good exchange rate between the USA and Australia right now (for you guys buying AU anyway!!) and international shipping available we'd love to get a few pre-orders to help make this project happen.

Wasn't there an Alky Funny car driver in the 80's like this too? I vaguely remember hearing something as a kid. For some reason I'm thinking Reybestos sponsored....oh I could be imagining the whole thing

Guys, thank you for the info. We had no idea on those two.
I've done some Draglist searching to try and find these people. Was Gary Rettell the Funny Car driver?
For Doug Rose I can find two times on Draglist, one a 6.74 which has a date and track, and another at 5.89 but with no date or track details.
Gary Rettell also shows a 5.89 best, again with no track or date listed.
If anyone has info on their best times or even general time zones they were in that would be great - Benny loves to set new goals.
We might have to convince Benny into something quicker yet...he does know a guy with a Top Alcohol Dragster...

Being a single amputee I can understand how difficult it would be quickly get out if a race car in a stressful situation. Mt hats off to anyone who can do it smoothly

Guys, thank you for the info. We had no idea on those two.
I've done some Draglist searching to try and find these people. Was Gary Rettell the Funny Car driver?
For Doug Rose I can find two times on Draglist, one a 6.74 which has a date and track, and another at 5.89 but with no date or track details.
Gary Rettell also shows a 5.89 best, again with no track or date listed.
If anyone has info on their best times or even general time zones they were in that would be great - Benny loves to set new goals.
We might have to convince Benny into something quicker yet...he does know a guy with a Top Alcohol Dragster...

It was Gary Rettell who ran the car with his brother. At one point, they were part of the "Fruit of the Loom" team that Bob Vandergriff started, with K.C. Spurlock also being part of it with his AA/FC.
In 89 Gary beat Pat Austin at the Cajun Nationals, and runner up to Bob Newberry at the 90 Gatornationals.

I met Benny in Houston this past April, that guy is an awesome person to talk to. My brother is also an amputee (opposite leg), and he was standing there talking to Benny when Benny's bike owner walked out of their trailer, looked at the two of them and said "Ya'll need to go to a shoe store together", we all cracked up laughing.

Far lane in this pic......

https://www.facebook.com/Benny-Stevens-Amputee-Hooligan-Motorsport-1534374983480363/

Attachments

• DSCN6138.JPG
    DSCN6138.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 23
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back