Front half Linbergs car. (2 Viewers)

Con

Nitro Member
Saw pictures where Forces chassis shop put new front half on Linbergs car.

It might have just been with the dragsters but I remember that at one time the chassis was bolted together.

Front half, drivers compartment, and engine, rear end section. Any of the 3 parts could be replaced since they were bolted together.

Amy one else remember this and any details. Was it just one chassis builder?

there are pics on his FB off him with it loaded in a pickup heading back to Ohio. It is hanging out about 4 feet, hope he don't get rear ended.

4B1C9DE1-0DAA-4EE0-99EB-4A3FBF404C13.jpeg

there are pics on his FB off him with it loaded in a pickup heading back to Ohio. It is hanging out about 4 feet, hope he don't get rear ended.
I see they run bolt in a-arms, most are just weld ons (Murfs). Bolt on is better in my opinion.

Rick

Gosh racing is a lot simpler now days...

Back in the 70's he would have needed to take a full rig to pick that up in CA. ...

..Just to get the Coors back into OHIO.. ;)

Gosh racing is a lot simpler now days...

Back in the 70's he would have needed to take a full rig to pick that up in CA. ...

..Just to get the Coors back into OHIO.. ;)

Except that's in Indy. Force moved all the manufacturing to Brownsburg years ago. That picture is actually at Lindberg's shop, across the street and down the block from Force's
Alan

It might have just been with the dragsters but I remember that at one time the chassis was bolted together.

Front half, drivers compartment, and engine, rear end section. Any of the 3 parts could be replaced since they were bolted together.

Amy one else remember this and any details. Was it just one chassis builder?
Your memory is correct.
In about 1995 Al Swindahl started to make bolt together cars. I know at least Joe Amato and Cory Mac had them. The thought was if you damaged the front or rear, you didn't have to take the car back to the chassis shop to get fixed. Al was in Washinton, so if you damaged the car in Englishtown, it was going to be a long time before you get that car fixed. Also, there was talk that you could carry rear sections that had different motor locations. Farther back for poor tracks, or moved forward really good tracks.

When Shelly Anderson had her blowover in Brainerd, she had a back up car that was still in shipping wrapping that came out of the trailer in 3 pieces. I'm 99% sure her car was built by Dave Uyehara, so that's at least 2 guys that built them.

This very topic came up after some wheelstands at Denver the last couple years. Beckman had a couple that bent his car, and also Tim Wilkerson left Denver with nothing in the trailer because both of his cars had to go back to Mckinneys to get fixed. I asked about a bolt together deal on a Funny Car for situations like that, but was reminded Funny Car chassis are built on the jig with a certain amount of pre-load built into them that would be impossible to duplicate with a bolt on front end.

Last edited:
Except that's in Indy. Force moved all the manufacturing to Brownsburg years ago. That picture is actually at Lindberg's shop, across the street and down the block from Force's
Alan
I thought that was a pic of someone at Home Depot picking up their new "home funny car package"....just add motor and body of your choice

am i the only one that finds it odd that a fuel fc chassis for a touring pro team is carted around in the back of a short box pickup?.....granted it probably
doesn't have to travel real far.
All the shops in the Indy area are pretty close to each other. Read Alan's comment above.

am i the only one that finds it odd that a fuel fc chassis for a touring pro team is carted around in the back of a short box pickup?.....granted it probably
doesn't have to travel real far.
Some teams have done this for years...or you might see a funny car body being hauled on an open 2 axle trailer to the wrap shop. When some teams have their hauler already set up at the track they may have a local flatbed wrecker pic their car up to haul it to and from a meet and greet. I remember a few years ago at Topeka a wrecker picked the car up at 9.00 am on Thur and hauled it 100+ miles south to Wichita for a noon meet and greet and then hauled it back to a company in Topeka for a 5.00pm meet and greet. We got back to the track around 9.00pm. That is a lot easier and a lot of time saved vs tearing everything down and having to set it all back up again.

Bill Stebbins ( S&S Engineering, Louisville, KY) also built bolt-together cars (back-half). One or two for Frakes & Funk, and I believe another for Clayton Harris. Regards, Chase

Alan

Yea, and they actually sell Coors east of the Mississippi too...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back