FROM THE GRANDSTANDS..vol 2 (1 Viewer)

1 - Get rid of the Countdown. Period. Eliminating a car at each track?? You have a bad day - you're done. Not good for teams, nor fans.

2 - Bob Frey is a pro. Paul Page is coming into his own. When he has as much experience with NHRA as Frey, then make the comparison. What does he does not “Speak our language” mean? You have to remember not everyone tuning into ESPN is a die-hard Nitrojunkie. You have to be able to keep the new viewer too...and where does that leave Dunn?? Mike is very capable and I enjoy his color commentary.

3 - AGREE, but how about some of the guys who aren't big names.

4 - Agree somewhat, but again, the new viewer, or the female or cat lover or kid may want to see and hear about Simba.

5 - BINGO!

You will never please 100% of the people all the time but you don't want to alienate them either.

1. GO FULL THROTTLE OR GO HOME. Works for me:)
2. Paul is a great host for motorsposts. In my opinion, besides Jim mckay...paul is the indy 500. Bob Frey knows more about our sport, history, and those weird quirks about our drivers than most people. He explains what is happening at the track in ways that anyone would understand it. when i hear bob talk at the races i feel like he is telling me a story. That is what 'speaks our language' means to me.
Oh and keep dunn in the booth until he gets a ride or switches with Jack next year, after Beckman wins the world championship this year.
4. The cat thing was more about focusing on the stars too much. I know they were filling time because of the rain, but i dont want all team force all the time on the broadcast.
5. Yes. This man has been there done that. When he speaks...i listen.
Thanks cheryl:)

My view of the countdown is take it back to how it was before the countdown and leave it that way , the countdown is stupid . It should be how it was who ever has the most points at the end of the year wins . Who ever came up with the countdown is an idiot , its the stupidist idea since the square wheel .

And this idea about elliminating cars at each race until 2 cars are left at the last race of the year is just as silly . Take it back to how it was there was no need to ever change how it was .

Seriously NHRA if you are reading this , changing things for safety is one thing , but changing things that dont need to be changed just to make what you think would be exciting you are just wrecking this sport we all love , why ruin a good thing.

Alan, I respect your knowledge -your positon + your enthusiasm--but if I can offer 1 suggestion--maybe a 5 minute delay between when you finish typing + when you hit enter. That 1st post came off as rather rude. The artical came from someone with just as much love for the sport as you--and someone that has to pay for everything he gets out of it-like 99.999% of the rest of us here. And while I may or may not have feelings as stong on some of the subjects--i too feel "blah" about the start of the season more so than ever-even the year tv coverage was on Speed (which i didnt have).
For the 1st time in many years, I dont plan on hitting the 2 races I usually do (E-town + Maple Grove) Seems silly to lay out the same amount of cash as i have in years past to see 30% less of the people I want to see run on a track thats 25% shorter (and the selling off of P/SM has some to do with it). Do I have an answer to solve everything? Nope-dont have to-I'm just a paying customer. Long ago racing went from a hobby to a competition-and then to entertainment. I'm will to pay to be entertained -just not as much for 6 innings with 2nd tier players. (please note-not knocking the Bacas of the world-- just making a point.)

First off, I would like to say thanks to everyone who has read my column. Like Paul Miller said, with any column there parts you agree with and parts that you don’t. For the most part, the feedback I have received has been very positive. But, as much as it is good to get a pat on the back, I learn from those who disagree. I don’t take it personally and it only makes me better. That is why I am taking the time to respond to what Alan Reinhart posted here.

Alan is doing a job that I would kill for! He is somebody whom I respect professionally as well as personally. I also know that he is very knowledgeable about the sport, and is first and foremost a “FAN” as well. He does work for NHRA, but he does not speak for them here when he posts. I respect his opinion, and I am glad that we can have this discussion about this column. The red font is Alan’s question from earlier. So, let’s get to it.

I reread your last column and I’ll start with your eight “Pressing issues”

That sounds like a good place to start. However, let me preface this by stating that most of these issues are opinions that others have stated to me. Not my own.

From the column “From the Grandstands”:

“What are some of the issues NHRA drag racing is facing for the 2009 season? After consulting five die hard drag racing fans, four pro drivers, three current or former owners, two racing columnists, and a partridge and a pear tree, I came up with a list of eight pressing issues.

The opinions they expressed, in no particular order they include”:

But, I wrote it, so I’ll defend it.

What changes would you like to see in the countdown? Just saying, “I don’t like it” doesn’t do much. Would you like to see it abolished? Or do you have a specific change to the format?

I am not a huge fan of the countdown to the championship. I think the concept of a “playoff” format to create buzz and excitement is all well and good. But, the main reason I don’t like it, is because it really is not a playoff. As Mike English stated,

“If I was to change anything I'd make it a true playoff. Eliminate a car or 2 at each race in the countdown so that when you got to Pomona there where just 2 cars for the money.”

I agree with this completely. I would start the Countdown with 8 races to go. Pick the top 8 in each class, and reset the points with a 10 pt per position cushion and 5 bonus points per event win. After the first event, eliminate the lowest point team, and so on until we reach Pomona.

I would go one step further and once the two cars were at the Finals. Let them Match Race for the championship. It would be a best 3 out of 5 match race starting on Friday with one run, on Saturday with one run, and (3) runs if necessary on Sunday. These two teams could not be eligible to compete in the final race of the season, but the reward for racing for the championship would offset any need to run for one event trophy.

What would you suggest to return too 1320? Keeping in mind that anything that would force the teams to spend a lot buying new parts, or go testing would certainly be frowned on. By NHRA and by the teams, especially the lower budget teams.
Honestly, the return of 1320 racing would be great, but it would cost each team an initial investment in the new parts and pieces. However, if I were in the NHRA offices, I would be working on a plan to make it happen (which I am sure they are). I do believe that Dale Armstrong’s idea holds merit. As far as testing this combo, I believe that NHRA should sub contract Kalitta Motorsports to do this.

1) They have the resources to do it, (driver’s Dave Grubnic and Hillary Will are not running right now) and their team knowledge rivals the Force team in the amount of experience they have.

2) They have run these combo’s successfully in multi car teams in both top fuel and funny car, (it makes them the best choice in my opinion)

3) They are inspired to find a way to slow these cars down. After Scott’s passing, I am sure nothing would make Connie and that entire team happier than being instrumental in the development of a “Safer” combo.

I don’t think you understand the relationship between NHRA and its official sponsors and partners. Bud was the Official beer, and Miller still had a nice run. Pontiac is the official car, that doesn’t stop Ford and Dodge and Toyota from competing and winning. So exactly what is your issue with the “Officials”? And what would you do differently?

I can not speak as to why many people have a problem with it, however the majority of the people who voted on this pole (32 percent (68 people) thought the biggest issue facing the NHRA was the need to open the door to more companies in regards to becoming a sponsor within the NHRA.), Hopefully those who voted this way can express themselves in this thread.

The “NHRA POLICY ON SPONSORSHIP” is not public knowledge, and since there are no stock holders to answer to, it does not need to be released to the public.

I can tell you from first hand experience, that when a series has an “OFFICIAL SPONSOR” like (Budweiser, Pontiac, UPS, and RINGERS GLOVES) it does not make it attractive for other companies to come into the series. The other companies believe, (and I have actually been told this by 3 fortune 500 companies) that they would not receive fair treatment by the sanctioning body, and thus do not believe their company would get a solid ROI. In my opinion, this is why companies like Monster, Rockstar, Vegas Fuel and Vis Viva have gone away before the end of their contracts. Even though they may have been “GRANDFATHERED” in, the “FULL THROTTLE SERIES” gets top billing. I also agree to an extent, that constant DNQ’s by the Monster and Rockstar teams may have been a reason for them to leave.

The Official Sponsor deal with Budweiser, (and I know you’re a Bud man Alan) is also the reason that a major US Brewing company (whom I know is being courted by a few people) is leery about coming into the series. They can’t sell their product at NHRA events. If they can’t sell it, or get the product to the fans to test, they do not see the ROI.

In my opinion there are too many official sponsors of the NHRA. The “Official Sponsors” get preferential signage and product placement, and I am sure they are not paying NHRA anywhere close to the $750 MILLION that Nextel pays NASCAR for that exclusive deal. In a market that is tight, and the ROI is more important now than ever, perhaps the NHRA should look at getting rid of the official sponsor status, and open the market to other companies.

I really can’t address the TV shows. Being at the track, I almost never see them but again, what don’t you like, and how would you change it?

Simple: I believe in promoting from within. Why were Big Mac and Steve Evans such a great team and amazing representatives for the broadcast of our sport? They were US! Big Mac was a track manager, and racer. He knew the sport in and out, and had the ability to ARTICULATE this to not only the common fan, but to somebody who had never seen a drag race. Steve Evans was also a motor head. He ran many west coast tracks, and was a very good track announcer. So, here is what I would do:

- Put Bob Frey in the big chair during the ESPN 2 broadcast. He has the knowledge, the passion and the ability to articulate what is going on at the track that others do not have. I respect Paul Page, and think he is a great journalist, but he does not “Speak our language”. Bob has worked hard to get to where he is, and deserves the big chair. So, that leaves an opening behind the mic during the events. Promote ALAN REINHART! This quote came from a fan who wrote to me about my column.

“I am a faithful online listener and hope you can help with two things about the announcing. I have sent e-mails to Bob Frey about these in the past with no results. First of all we need to hear the ET announced to the third digit after the decimal point on every run during qualifying to follow positioning order and during racing to follow lane choice. Second during eliminations it makes for a more exciting experience if we know which lane the team with choice has selected on EVERY run.”

You do this often during sportsman qualifying and eliminations. You’ve done the grunt work, and are very entertaining at the track. So with you working the microphone during the pro cars, this opens up your job…

Two words… MIKE ENGLISH! (Just my opinion). (Back to the ESPN 2 Show)

- Another thing I’d change is adding more “historical reports”. Jack’s “BACK TO THE PAST” is extremely educational. I’d love to see Garlits, Snake, and others talk about their experiences at that track, (maybe a war stories type). This educates not only the regular viewer, but also new people to our sport.

- I know that Ashley Force is a hot commodity, but honestly I don’t need to hear about “SIMBA” at the track. I would shorten the broadcast to a 90 min show, and (like the Lucas Oil show does) show the final rounds for the sportsman classes.

- There are other issues, but this is long enough.

Just exactly what do you think IMG is doing?

This is the part that gets my goat. I think they are trying to change our NICHE. I don’t want that. Bringing in sponsors is a good thing. Changing the image of NHRA drag racing and what it stands for…not cool. Maybe you can answer what exactly IMG is doing, because I have not seen anything from them.

Alan, I think we both see the “problems” with the sport, but just see it from a different perspective. I am writing this column from the perspective as a fan. That’s why I asked the “FANS” to vote for what they felt was their issues. Going off of the response I have received from the Fans, I am not that far off base. Example, what does it say as to the status of our sport, when a man who has been a member of NHRA for over 40 years, who has won NHRA national events has canceled his membership because he has lost faith in the leadership, and what our association has become? There are many others who have done the same.

Going into this season, I was not all that excited for the beginning of the season. That is why I wrote this column. I understand that NHRA is trying to help the team owners and fans, but I just wrote that those things they are doing don’t really help me personally, and I did offer my opinion as to what they should do in regards to these subjects. I am unsure as to where our sport is going. What do we want this sport to become? Do I really want to see it go to the NEXT LEVEL? Do I really want to continue to strive to try and make a living in this sport? There are too many questions and the biggest issue that I see is that we, (as fans) can not agree what the problems really are.

There are other issues I have with what NHRA has become, but I don’t want to get into that. However, after watching this past weekend unfold, some things have changed my opinions:

- Seeing Doug Kalitta win in top fuel made me realize that it’s not going to be a two car race in top fuel this year!

- Seeing the Full Throttle Ads on TV, and the rest of them that will be on this year, shows me creativity. I believe this was ADLEMAN that did this correct? If so, I am impressed.

- Understanding that NHRA most likely lost it’s financial “ASS” this past week, with all the delays and extending the race two extra days, makes me kind of feel bad for the association.

- But mainly, what has changed my opinion was this quote I received from somebody whom I put on the mount Rushmore of drag racing:

“Remember one thing Tim, and this often gets lost in all the *****ing....this is a sport that was based on a hobby...that grew beyond anyone's wildest expectations. It has parallels in many other sports...NASCAR....bass fishing....major league sports...the list goes on and on. I just wanted to emphasize you are dealing with subjects that have existed since the first pair of cars ever went down a race track
and yet...through it all...the sport has persevered.”

Alan, I present the torch to you….flame on…

...Ditto...Timmah.....you get it more than MOST..........'lax....mater aint worth it.!

PS- ...You're the best!
PPS-...Have a girl....not a fruit!:p

My view of the countdown is take it back to how it was before the countdown and leave it that way , the countdown is stupid . It should be how it was who ever has the most points at the end of the year wins . Who ever came up with the countdown is an idiot , its the stupidist idea since the square wheel . QUOTE]

Right on Mr. Payne. I don't understand this talk of "making it more exciting".
If people don't find drag racing exciting, find another sport. Nascar went to a count-down and it didn't work for them either.

You ern points for qualifying and Rd wins - he/she with the most points at the end of the season should be the champion. Simple.

Like I've said before, it's no longer how well you run - it's WHEN you run well, that decides the champ. The last two seasons have proved that.

As one that is VERY dissatisfyed with nhra the past several years, I DO agree with two things. (1) no longer giving "automatic qualify" to the top 10. And (2) 1,000ft nitro.

I wonder if anyone would like to go back to the way it used to be. Before the countdown. Before points.

I doubt it.

I wonder if anyone would like to go back to the way it used to be. Before the countdown. Before points.

I doubt it.

Lol the coundtown is only a few years old , why would you go back decades to when there were no points . Thats just stupid , what we are saying is that they had a perfectly good points and champion system before this silly countdown . They had the stupid idea of trying to make it more exiting and they failed big time . Are there any pro teams that actually like the countdown all I have heard is people hating it .

There is a saying "If it isnt broken dont fix it" that should have come into their heads when they thought up the countdown .

The countdown is pretty much not going anywhere folks. So, what would you do with it? Or leave it alone?
What do you guys and gals think are pressing issues this year in NHRA drag racing? What makes you either excited or leery about heading to a national event?

The countdown is pretty much not going anywhere folks. So, what would you do with it? Or leave it alone?
What do you guys and gals think are pressing issues this year in NHRA drag racing? What makes you either excited or leery about heading to a national event?

Tim, first off, I think you wrote a heck of an piece there, sir. Kudos to you!

My biggest concern hasn't changed since 2004 - driver safety. I read for months leading up to St. Louis how drivers were concerned about Goodyear's new tire. Amato went so far as to stockpile the 'old' tires. Then NHRA lowered the boom and mandated the new tire be the only one. In the wake of Darrell's passing, I felt that "Dedicated to Safety" had become nothing more than a nostalgic advertisement. I've listened to Whit Bazemore rage against fixed objects being too close to the racing surface. Now Scott is gone. In my mind, their two specific accidents were painfully foreseeable and, therefore, avoidable.
Let me be clear, I'm not saying the NHRA management is comprised of soulless creeps. I know they care about the drivers. I just don't think they take enough action. Yes, I know slowing down the cars and improving the tracks will cost money. Not to sound overly dramatic, but how much would we give to see Darrell and Scott racing again? Until they show me they are willing to be proactive again, to put safety before speed, I won't be an NHRA member. My two cents...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back