FROM THE GRANDSTANDS..vol 2 (1 Viewer)

Spoken like someone who really doesn't get it.

And I will elaborate in the next few days,

Alan

Spoken like someone who really doesn't get it.

And I will elaborate in the next few days,

Alan
WOW!!!
...ALAN...You must be joking!...For a guy who's "PAID" to "GET IT"...why dont you enlighten us all now!!!....an outline of the inaccuracies would be great.

...Timmah...Awesome Write!....And you took the Al-Anabi "news" like a man!:p

Signed, "another" guy who really doesn't get it...:confused:

Last edited:
Who are "Barak", "Hebert", "Sampay", and "Burkhart"???
Maybe it's just me, but it sends credibility into the crapper when you don't even get the names spelled right.

Last edited:
drama.jpg

This will be interesting....I am looking forward to the discussion. Nice article Timmah!

As in any editorial, there are parts I agree with and some I don't. Parts I don't agree with are the strike 1, 2, and 3 parts. The NHRA is trying to help the fans (strikes 1 and 3) and they get slammed for that, hell they might as do nothing because regardless of what they do there will be people critical of their actions. As for strike 2, yeah real smart, implement a rules change that will cost teams $$$ in economic times were budgets are tight just to go back to 1320 racing. Sorry, but if a fan is making a decision on whether or not to attend a race based on 1,000ft or car count, then they are not a true fan of the sport. You will see me at Joliet, E-Town, Maple Grove, and Indy regardless of those two items. However, I do agree with Timmah there is a light at the end of the tunnel and everyone will have to grind it out to get there.

drama.jpg

This will be interesting....I am looking forward to the discussion. Nice article Timmah!

...lmao...The Drama wont start until the Spin Doctor/Puppet checks back in to correct us all....So we can all "get it"...!

If time and space permit, maybe Alan can re-tell "Their" version of Monster and RockStar heading for the hills...and the Air Force story too....while he's at it! ...:rolleyes:

Happy Winternationals Everyone!:)

Last edited:
Tim

I want to start by saying I didn’t mean my last post to sound so harsh. Sorry Timmah.

I reread your last column and I’ll start with your eight “Pressing issues”

What changes would you like to see in the countdown? Just saying, “I don’t like it” doesn’t do much. Would you like to see it abolished? Or do you have a specific change to the format?

What would you suggest to return too 1320? Keeping in mind that anything that would force the teams to spend a lot buying new parts, or go testing would certainly be frowned on. By NHRA and by the teams, especially the lower budget teams.

I don’t think you understand the relationship between NHRA and it’s official sponsors and partners. Bud was the Official beer, and Miller still had a nice run. Pontiac is the official car, that doesn’t stop Ford and Dodge and Toyota from competing and winning. So exactly what is your issue with the “Officials”? And what would you do differently?

I really can’t address the TV shows. Being at the track, I almost never see them but again, what don’t you like, and how would you change it?

The facilities have all made huge improvements in the shut down and sand trap areas. Have you seen the new sand trap and catch net arraignment at Pomona? Or Vegas? Or Dallas? There has been much research done. NHRA is working and will continue to work with the University of Nebraska and if you didn’t know it they are the same group that was instrumental in the development of the safer barrier for NASCAR. And now there is a spec. And as further needs are brought to light, they will be addressed.

Just exactly what do you think IMG is doing?

Safety is at the forefront of NHRA and PRO. Are they in perfect agreement? No. But they are working together on all things related to safety and in cost cutting.

The sportsman divisions are growing. I’m sure that this year will be down a little because of the economy, but in my division (D 7) Top Dragster and Top Sportsman are growing by leaps and bounds. And every year more jr. drivers step up to the "big cars"

Tim, you have pointed out some areas where you think there is room for improvement. and I don’t disagree, but pointing out a problem is one thing offering a solution is something else altogether.

With a very few exceptions regarding the series sponsor. Almost all companies would be welcome to come in. Do you think that Rockstar left because they weren’t wanted? Or maybe because there spent however much money they spent last year and won two rounds all year long. If week after week your car isn’t a factor, and doesn’t get much exposure on the TV show (because it’s not in competition) how long would you keep spending the cash?

As always, I am speaking for me, not for NHRA. I am not their spokesman regardless of what John McGuire thinks.

More in the next few days, as time permits.
Alan

Last edited:
No offense taken alan. Great response.
I know you speak for you and not for Tom and the others.
I am at a ROCKBAND party tonight, the lead singer...cause i got mad vocal skillz!

I will address each point tomorrow, but yes i actually do have ideas on what i would do...but my column was long enough, i could not make it longer.

What changes would you like to see in the countdown? Just saying, “I don’t like it” doesn’t do much. Would you like to see it abolished? Or do you have a specific change to the format?

If I was to change anything I'd make it a true playoff. Eliminate a car or 2 at each race in the countdown so that when you got to Pomona there where just 2 cars for the money.

If I was to change anything I'd make it a true playoff. Eliminate a car or 2 at each race in the countdown so that when you got to Pomona there where just 2 cars for the money.

Mike, while I certainly respect your opinions, I put myself in the "abolish it" camp. To me, the "playoffs" take place at all 24 events in the form of qualifying, with the quick sixteen going at it for that event's title. If Driver X doesn't come out on top at the end, then wherever he/she finished is where they finished. Punishing the season-long points leader by giving 9 other cars what amounts to a buyback is just plain wrong, IMO.

Timmah, you made some good points. Sorry if it looks like I was trying to hijack your thread. Not my intent at all.

Bill, I didnt say I liked the countdown but if we are going to have it lets use it to generate some excitement. Something along the lines of say at Vegas 2 its Larry Dixon has to get to the 2nd round or Antron Brown will run Tony Schumacher for the title at Pomona.

Just for the record, I hate all the new playoff deals, including the NHL, the NBA, baseball, football, you name it, there isnt a true champion in any sport these days.

First off, I would like to say thanks to everyone who has read my column. Like Paul Miller said, with any column there parts you agree with and parts that you don’t. For the most part, the feedback I have received has been very positive. But, as much as it is good to get a pat on the back, I learn from those who disagree. I don’t take it personally and it only makes me better. That is why I am taking the time to respond to what Alan Reinhart posted here.

Alan is doing a job that I would kill for! He is somebody whom I respect professionally as well as personally. I also know that he is very knowledgeable about the sport, and is first and foremost a “FAN” as well. He does work for NHRA, but he does not speak for them here when he posts. I respect his opinion, and I am glad that we can have this discussion about this column. The red font is Alan’s question from earlier. So, let’s get to it.

I reread your last column and I’ll start with your eight “Pressing issues”

That sounds like a good place to start. However, let me preface this by stating that most of these issues are opinions that others have stated to me. Not my own.

From the column “From the Grandstands”:

“What are some of the issues NHRA drag racing is facing for the 2009 season? After consulting five die hard drag racing fans, four pro drivers, three current or former owners, two racing columnists, and a partridge and a pear tree, I came up with a list of eight pressing issues.

The opinions they expressed, in no particular order they include”:

But, I wrote it, so I’ll defend it.

I am not a huge fan of the countdown to the championship. I think the concept of a “playoff” format to create buzz and excitement is all well and good. But, the main reason I don’t like it, is because it really is not a playoff. As Mike English stated,

“If I was to change anything I'd make it a true playoff. Eliminate a car or 2 at each race in the countdown so that when you got to Pomona there where just 2 cars for the money.”

I agree with this completely. I would start the Countdown with 8 races to go. Pick the top 8 in each class, and reset the points with a 10 pt per position cushion and 5 bonus points per event win. After the first event, eliminate the lowest point team, and so on until we reach Pomona.

I would go one step further and once the two cars were at the Finals. Let them Match Race for the championship. It would be a best 3 out of 5 match race starting on Friday with one run, on Saturday with one run, and (3) runs if necessary on Sunday. These two teams could not be eligible to compete in the final race of the season, but the reward for racing for the championship would offset any need to run for one event trophy.

What would you suggest to return too 1320? Keeping in mind that anything that would force the teams to spend a lot buying new parts, or go testing would certainly be frowned on. By NHRA and by the teams, especially the lower budget teams.
Honestly, the return of 1320 racing would be great, but it would cost each team an initial investment in the new parts and pieces. However, if I were in the NHRA offices, I would be working on a plan to make it happen (which I am sure they are). I do believe that Dale Armstrong’s idea holds merit. As far as testing this combo, I believe that NHRA should sub contract Kalitta Motorsports to do this.

1) They have the resources to do it, (driver’s Dave Grubnic and Hillary Will are not running right now) and their team knowledge rivals the Force team in the amount of experience they have.

2) They have run these combo’s successfully in multi car teams in both top fuel and funny car, (it makes them the best choice in my opinion)

3) They are inspired to find a way to slow these cars down. After Scott’s passing, I am sure nothing would make Connie and that entire team happier than being instrumental in the development of a “Safer” combo.

I don’t think you understand the relationship between NHRA and its official sponsors and partners. Bud was the Official beer, and Miller still had a nice run. Pontiac is the official car, that doesn’t stop Ford and Dodge and Toyota from competing and winning. So exactly what is your issue with the “Officials”? And what would you do differently?

I can not speak as to why many people have a problem with it, however the majority of the people who voted on this pole (32 percent (68 people) thought the biggest issue facing the NHRA was the need to open the door to more companies in regards to becoming a sponsor within the NHRA.), Hopefully those who voted this way can express themselves in this thread.

The “NHRA POLICY ON SPONSORSHIP” is not public knowledge, and since there are no stock holders to answer to, it does not need to be released to the public.

I can tell you from first hand experience, that when a series has an “OFFICIAL SPONSOR” like (Budweiser, Pontiac, UPS, and RINGERS GLOVES) it does not make it attractive for other companies to come into the series. The other companies believe, (and I have actually been told this by 3 fortune 500 companies) that they would not receive fair treatment by the sanctioning body, and thus do not believe their company would get a solid ROI. In my opinion, this is why companies like Monster, Rockstar, Vegas Fuel and Vis Viva have gone away before the end of their contracts. Even though they may have been “GRANDFATHERED” in, the “FULL THROTTLE SERIES” gets top billing. I also agree to an extent, that constant DNQ’s by the Monster and Rockstar teams may have been a reason for them to leave.

The Official Sponsor deal with Budweiser, (and I know you’re a Bud man Alan) is also the reason that a major US Brewing company (whom I know is being courted by a few people) is leery about coming into the series. They can’t sell their product at NHRA events. If they can’t sell it, or get the product to the fans to test, they do not see the ROI.

In my opinion there are too many official sponsors of the NHRA. The “Official Sponsors” get preferential signage and product placement, and I am sure they are not paying NHRA anywhere close to the $750 MILLION that Nextel pays NASCAR for that exclusive deal. In a market that is tight, and the ROI is more important now than ever, perhaps the NHRA should look at getting rid of the official sponsor status, and open the market to other companies.

I really can’t address the TV shows. Being at the track, I almost never see them but again, what don’t you like, and how would you change it?

Simple: I believe in promoting from within. Why were Big Mac and Steve Evans such a great team and amazing representatives for the broadcast of our sport? They were US! Big Mac was a track manager, and racer. He knew the sport in and out, and had the ability to ARTICULATE this to not only the common fan, but to somebody who had never seen a drag race. Steve Evans was also a motor head. He ran many west coast tracks, and was a very good track announcer. So, here is what I would do:

- Put Bob Frey in the big chair during the ESPN 2 broadcast. He has the knowledge, the passion and the ability to articulate what is going on at the track that others do not have. I respect Paul Page, and think he is a great journalist, but he does not “Speak our language”. Bob has worked hard to get to where he is, and deserves the big chair. So, that leaves an opening behind the mic during the events. Promote ALAN REINHART! This quote came from a fan who wrote to me about my column.

“I am a faithful online listener and hope you can help with two things about the announcing. I have sent e-mails to Bob Frey about these in the past with no results. First of all we need to hear the ET announced to the third digit after the decimal point on every run during qualifying to follow positioning order and during racing to follow lane choice. Second during eliminations it makes for a more exciting experience if we know which lane the team with choice has selected on EVERY run.”

You do this often during sportsman qualifying and eliminations. You’ve done the grunt work, and are very entertaining at the track. So with you working the microphone during the pro cars, this opens up your job…

Two words… MIKE ENGLISH! (Just my opinion). (Back to the ESPN 2 Show)

- Another thing I’d change is adding more “historical reports”. Jack’s “BACK TO THE PAST” is extremely educational. I’d love to see Garlits, Snake, and others talk about their experiences at that track, (maybe a war stories type). This educates not only the regular viewer, but also new people to our sport.

- I know that Ashley Force is a hot commodity, but honestly I don’t need to hear about “SIMBA” at the track. I would shorten the broadcast to a 90 min show, and (like the Lucas Oil show does) show the final rounds for the sportsman classes.

- There are other issues, but this is long enough.

Just exactly what do you think IMG is doing?

This is the part that gets my goat. I think they are trying to change our NICHE. I don’t want that. Bringing in sponsors is a good thing. Changing the image of NHRA drag racing and what it stands for…not cool. Maybe you can answer what exactly IMG is doing, because I have not seen anything from them.

Alan, I think we both see the “problems” with the sport, but just see it from a different perspective. I am writing this column from the perspective as a fan. That’s why I asked the “FANS” to vote for what they felt was their issues. Going off of the response I have received from the Fans, I am not that far off base. Example, what does it say as to the status of our sport, when a man who has been a member of NHRA for over 40 years, who has won NHRA national events has canceled his membership because he has lost faith in the leadership, and what our association has become? There are many others who have done the same.

Going into this season, I was not all that excited for the beginning of the season. That is why I wrote this column. I understand that NHRA is trying to help the team owners and fans, but I just wrote that those things they are doing don’t really help me personally, and I did offer my opinion as to what they should do in regards to these subjects. I am unsure as to where our sport is going. What do we want this sport to become? Do I really want to see it go to the NEXT LEVEL? Do I really want to continue to strive to try and make a living in this sport? There are too many questions and the biggest issue that I see is that we, (as fans) can not agree what the problems really are.

There are other issues I have with what NHRA has become, but I don’t want to get into that. However, after watching this past weekend unfold, some things have changed my opinions:

- Seeing Doug Kalitta win in top fuel made me realize that it’s not going to be a two car race in top fuel this year!

- Seeing the Full Throttle Ads on TV, and the rest of them that will be on this year, shows me creativity. I believe this was ADLEMAN that did this correct? If so, I am impressed.

- Understanding that NHRA most likely lost it’s financial “ASS” this past week, with all the delays and extending the race two extra days, makes me kind of feel bad for the association.

- But mainly, what has changed my opinion was this quote I received from somebody whom I put on the mount Rushmore of drag racing:

“Remember one thing Tim, and this often gets lost in all the *****ing....this is a sport that was based on a hobby...that grew beyond anyone's wildest expectations. It has parallels in many other sports...NASCAR....bass fishing....major league sports...the list goes on and on. I just wanted to emphasize you are dealing with subjects that have existed since the first pair of cars ever went down a race track
and yet...through it all...the sport has persevered.”

Alan, I present the torch to you….flame on…

(1)As Mike English stated, “If I was to change anything I'd make it a true playoff. Eliminate a car or 2 at each race in the countdown so that when you got to Pomona there where just 2 cars for the money.”
I agree with this completely. I would start the Countdown with 8 races to go. Pick the top 8 in each class, and reset the points with a 10 pt per position cushion and 5 bonus points per event win. After the first event, eliminate the lowest point team, and so on until we reach Pomona.

(2)Put Bob Frey in the big chair during the ESPN 2 broadcast. He has the knowledge, the passion and the ability to articulate what is going on at the track that others do not have. I respect Paul Page, and think he is a great journalist, but he does not “Speak our language”. Bob has worked hard to get to where he is, and deserves the big chair. So, that leaves an opening behind the mic during the events. Promote ALAN REINHART! This quote came from a fan who wrote to me about my column.

(3)Another thing I’d change is adding more “historical reports”. Jack’s “BACK TO THE PAST” is extremely educational. I’d love to see Garlits, Snake, and others talk about their experiences at that track, (maybe a war stories type). This educates not only the regular viewer, but also new people to our sport.

(4)I know that Ashley Force is a hot commodity, but honestly I don’t need to hear about “SIMBA” at the track. I would shorten the broadcast to a 90 min show, and (like the Lucas Oil show does) show the final rounds for the sportsman classes.

(5)“Remember one thing Tim, and this often gets lost in all the *****ing....this is a sport that was based on a hobby...that grew beyond anyone's wildest expectations. It has parallels in many other sports...NASCAR....bass fishing....major league sports...the list goes on and on. I just wanted to emphasize you are dealing with subjects that have existed since the first pair of cars ever went down a race track
and yet...through it all...the sport has persevered.”

1 - Get rid of the Countdown. Period. Eliminating a car at each track?? You have a bad day - you're done. Not good for teams, nor fans.

2 - Bob Frey is a pro. Paul Page is coming into his own. When he has as much experience with NHRA as Frey, then make the comparison. What does he does not “Speak our language” mean? You have to remember not everyone tuning into ESPN is a die-hard Nitrojunkie. You have to be able to keep the new viewer too...and where does that leave Dunn?? Mike is very capable and I enjoy his color commentary.

3 - AGREE, but how about some of the guys who aren't big names.

4 - Agree somewhat, but again, the new viewer, or the female or cat lover or kid may want to see and hear about Simba.

5 - BINGO!

You will never please 100% of the people all the time but you don't want to alienate them either.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back