France Family Interested In NHRA? (1 Viewer)

Jay

Nitro Member
PLEASE LET ME BE CLEAR HERE....! I have heard directly from a source that would know for sure, that the France family (who controls NASCAR) is investigating their level of interest in making a run at the NHRA. Now, I have been told that there IS interest, but it is yet to be determined the LEVEL of interest...I would guess more on this will be coming out soon...

At thids point, even though my source is very credible, this is a RUMOR....Although, one that I'd like to explore for the moment...

THAT IS ALL I KNOW!

Now, from a practical sense, it makes a TON of sense for the France family because they can cross promote the two sports, interchange sponsors, marketing initiatives, etc...

I personally think that this type of owner is EXACTLY what this sport needs right now. Not to say that NHRA is desperate by any means, but this could really help the sport take off! I for one, think this would be amazing for all involved..!

Anyone have opinions on this..? Maybe whether or not you feel it would be good or not...and why?

Didn't NASCAR have a drag racing division years ago and cancel it? What makes you think they'll do better with the NHRA?

Biggest reason why I would be against it is they would probably take away the pit access.

PLEASE LET ME BE CLEAR HERE....! I have heard directly from a source that would know for sure, that the France family (who controls NASCAR) is investigating their level of interest in making a run at the NHRA. Now, I have been told that there IS interest, but it is yet to be determined the LEVEL of interest...I would guess more on this will be coming out soon...

At thids point, even though my source is very credible, this is a RUMOR....Although, one that I'd like to explore for the moment...

THAT IS ALL I KNOW!

Now, from a practical sense, it makes a TON of sense for the France family because they can cross promote the two sports, interchange sponsors, marketing initiatives, etc...

I personally think that this type of owner is EXACTLY what this sport needs right now. Not to say that NHRA is desperate by any means, but this could really help the sport take off! I for one, think this would be amazing for all involved..!

Anyone have opinions on this..? Maybe whether or not you feel it would be good or not...and why?

What an amazing and interesting option this presents. Jay, I agree with you. The France family has proven they know how to market, promote and attract new fans to motorsports. The management at NHRA has proven they do NOT know how to do this. That's not a critical statement, but a measurement of their efforts.

There is a tremendous up-side to this if it develops.

my knee jerk reaction is no. fear we'd be the little step child to big bad nascar...yes it some ways we are already that but it would be even harder to get out of the shadow if we were officially family.

Now with that said, I would still be interested to hear more.

of course my source, who is the 3rd cousin, twice removed from the guy who cuts the hair of the neighbors dog of they guy who delivers to paper to the sister of the France's maid says this is just a bogus rumor ;):D

....sorry I'm trying to go without mt dew today, it apears I may need one

Absolutely fantastic. Because:

- They have demonstrated the ability to get mainstream, non-automotive sponsors involved with their sport. Tide, M&M's, etc., etc. Those are just the kind of sponsors NHRA needs to be vital. Can't continue to have everyone chasing the same dozen sponsors. And you can imagine many sponsors crossing over and having efforts in both series -- running ads with their two drivers side by side. Cool.

- They have phenomenal TV deals, imagine having the networks actually pay to run NHRA rather than the other way around. And maybe, just maybe, events that don't get delayed by post-season little league games...

- They have deep pockets with which to enhance the sport. Better marketing. Better facilities. Better engineering to solve things like the current chassis mess.

- Imagine a Lucas Oil Sportsman Series elevated to a Busch series level. Very cool, and scary at the same time...

- They are racing people. Unlike the HDP folks, these aren't people who've seen a few races. They've lived racing for decades.

Sure their are downsides. To wit:

- Potential conflict of interest between the series. NHRA being the second step-child, always getting the scraps (but that's what it is today, no?)

- The Frances have a rap for being pretty tough. But is that bad right now? Isn't some good hard thinking an asset?

- The would be a decided bend toward the pro class, marketing, sponsor, money side of the equation. Where's that leave the sportsman racer?

I think this, or Bruton, sounds like a vastly better deal than the HDP deal. All exciting. Can't wait to see what happens.

It could be big. And I'm not sure that they would automatically do away with pit access, as they know that it is one of the things that make the NHRA unique. Remember, in NASCAR, once they start the race, the cars stay out there until the race is over or they DNF. In drag racing, of course, fans can follow the cars back each round that they progress to see the wrenching. Who knows, maybe they'll take advantage of it and install mini-grandstands in the pits to let more people watch. I actually remember that being done at a few NHRA races a long time ago. Either way, between HD Partners, Bruton Smith, and now the France family sniffing around, we're obviously not the only ones who think the sport has the potential to be much bigger.

I hate what's been done to Nascar.

They've eliminated innovation on a bigger scale than HNRA has..see COT

The backing would be great..but I'd hate to see more regulation.

I can only think of 1 reason the France family would be interested ... to keep the series (and tracks like Indy) out of Bruton's hands. It is no secret that there is an uneasy truce between ISC and SMI ... anything ISC can do to keep SMI from gaining or consolodating power in the auto racing world is worth exploring ...

The price of poker may be going up if this rumor has any shred of validity ... the HD people were getting a bargain at 120 million and ISC and SMI know it ...

I seriously doubt this could ever happen! The France family has nothing to gain by buying NHRA, they would have to compete agains't NASCAR and you KNOW that's not going to happen!

Another reason that this may make sense is the fact that it's probably getting harder for NASCAR to keep growing their revenue base. Nothing goes up forever, and when a company can't keep growing from within, what does it do? Look for acquisitions.

Jay: Someone is pulling your leg as the France family has zero interest in the NHRA...

I seriously doubt this could ever happen! The France family has nothing to gain by buying NHRA, they would have to compete agains't NASCAR and you KNOW that's not going to happen!

I actually don't see how NASCAR would be competing with itself.

1.) Races are in different markets each weekend.

2.) TV would be at different times/networks.

3.) Aggressively marketing to a different audience. While there would be many new fans, there would certainly be some crossover, as well...This only makes it better, too...

4.) Much more corporate sponsorship money would pour into the NHRA by way of existing NASCAR sponsors cross-promoting, expanding their motorsports platform, and growing their marketing initiatives as a result.

5.) The purse would almost immediately increase and grow consistently year after year along side the sport.

6.) NHRA & Team merchandise would DRAMATICALLY increase which helps the series as well as the teams, financially...

7.) More teams would be created to the point where you could see 32 Car fields in each class with 2 days of eliminations which would start on Saturday!

8.) The press coverage would be ridiculously larger and more in-depth than it has ever been before!

9.) There would most certainly be an All-Star, no points, big $$$ race leading up to Indy...Maybe a $1,000,000 shootout in the three top divisions...?

10.) GROWTH & STABILITY, GROWTH & STABILITY, GROWTH & STABILITY!!!!

If you don't agree that ALL 10 of the above would ring true, please point out which & why...

This could absolutely be the MOTHERLOAD of a deal!

I can only think of 1 reason the France family would be interested ... to keep the series (and tracks like Indy) out of Bruton's hands. It is no secret that there is an uneasy truce between ISC and SMI ... anything ISC can do to keep SMI from gaining or consolodating power in the auto racing world is worth exploring ...

The price of poker may be going up if this rumor has any shred of validity ... the HD people were getting a bargain at 120 million and ISC and SMI know it ...

It would sure set up another situation where the France family owns the series and Bruton Smith owns the best tracks. Right now Bruton can build a track and get one or two races from NHRA. That would probably stop with the France family, so I would think that Bruton would not be too happy to see them get control of NHRA.

It would sure set up another situation where the France family owns the series and Bruton Smith owns the best tracks. Right now Bruton can build a track and get one or two races from NHRA. That would probably stop with the France family, so I would think that Bruton would not be too happy to see them get control of NHRA.

In which case, as many know, with Bruton potentially interested as well, this could get quite interesting...Anyone have some extra popcorn...?

Jay: it is obvious of your dis-pleasure of the NHRA management team and to throw info w/out naming a source sounds like made-up material to most...
And Jay: What is your website address?

Jay: it is obvious of your dis-pleasure of the NHRA management team and to throw info w/out naming a source sounds like made-up material to most...
And Jay: What is your website address?

First of all, you say that as if I am the only person here that feels that the NHRA could do a much better job than they are in growing the sport...

Secondly, I don't feel that it is my place to "name my source" at this, or any point really. If they would like to make it known, they can certainly come up here and do so at their leisure...

Third, considering that we wouldn't have any foreseeable reason to cross paths in the business world, I feel no imminent need to share my contact information with you at this time. There are a few people that have it because there are relationships in place, but other than that, you can communicate with me here.

If you have specific questions about my agency, I would gladly respond to a PM from you...

In which case, as many know, with Bruton potentially interested as well, this could get quite interesting...Anyone have some extra popcorn...?

Not to sure what I think about this, I would just assume Bruton buy NHRA over the France family. But I think either way, there are a lot of positives and negatives. If Bruton bought, the facilities that came with the deal would obviously be upgraded to his standards.

Last edited:
TWO WORDS:PROFESSIONAL MANAGEMENT

PS: As far as worrying about Pit Access - The logistics of 200,000 attendees is a LOT different than the crowds Drag Racing has to contend with.

Biggest benefit is their PROVEN promotion/marketing ability.:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back