Are we interested in the future Drag Racers (1 Viewer)

FABMAN

Nitro Member
Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - WYOTECH PARTNERS WITH DRAG RACE HIGH

I have been trying to get the maters to talk about the young people coming into the great sport of Drag Racing. I've posted now for the last few weeks about a new show on Speed Channel called Drag Race High. I think it is important that our young people that are interested in the automotive industry learn about Drag Racing, what it's about and where it should take place. I think it's awesome that this program has started and is shown in this format and maybe other school systems will look into programs like this. With the accidents reported recently this should show the importance of educating our students and hopefully get more interest in our sport and how safe it can be. Wyoming Tech obviously sees the importance to join in and hopefully bring future student to their school program.:cool:

I completely agree.

I've also posted about the Drag Race High Series: HORSEPOWER & HEELS: Drag Race High

I wish NHRA took more initiative to bring these type events to schools. It would counter all the bad press about street racing being labeled as drag racing, AND it would bring new fans and participants to the sport!

I've been TIVO'ing the show and it's not bad.

FWIW: EVERY time I see a news story about illegal street racing I think it's an opportunity to promote a legal supervised and safe racing environment.
How many towns could arrange 1/8th mile racing in a safe, if not optimum, environment? I mean, the kids who want to run their Hondas and 5.0 Mustangs don't ABSOLUTELY NEED an NHRA sanctioned track. (God knows, they're not doing their racing there now.)

It COULD be do-able with old airstrips - back roads - there are even some private parking lots that might work.. I'd like to see some grass-roots activity - maybe - with some support from NHRA.

I completely agree.

I've also posted about the Drag Race High Series: HORSEPOWER & HEELS: Drag Race High

I wish NHRA took more initiative to bring these type events to schools. It would counter all the bad press about street racing being labeled as drag racing, AND it would bring new fans and participants to the sport!

Erica, I'll probably take the sponsors to facilitate these programs, like Speed, Castrol, Wy Tech, they obviously see the need for it. What we can do is keep talking about it and pushing the schools and public to be involved.

I've watched Steve Johnson (PSB) host hundreds of Wyotech students and potential students in his pit/trailer. It is really cool to see the 18/19/20 year old guys/girls so interested in the technical side of the sport. Seems like every one of them wants to get into drag racing.

Steve definitely delivers the goods for his Wyotech sponsorship money and, at the same time, does a great job of helping to get these youngsters into drag racing as a profession.

A few minutes ago, the local TV news showed a story on a FED dragster being built by a local high school.
I'm waiting for them to put the link up.

The local police dept hand picked a few kids that had been previously caught for illegal street racing and put them on the crew if they agreed to quit street racing.

With donations from local enthusiasts and the guidance of the auto shop at the high school, the students have completed the dragster and will be attempting to compete at this weekend's March meet in Bakersfield.

The kids looked very enthused about their efforts and eager to take it to the strip. :cool:

Last edited:
For the past 2 years, In conjunction with my employer, I have spent some time at local high schools auto shops talking with the kids about defensive driving, (as I am an instructor for my company's Couriers), the dangers of street racing, and to fulfill their need for speed on the strip. I do this on my own time, on my own dime, without a car to display, and usually in my Work Uniform during lunch. I do this because:
1) I'm concerned that the "MESSAGE" is not getting to them
2) They are "gear heads" like us, and are receptive to hearing stories about Drag Racing, and how it can provide them with a job in the sport.
3) I enjoy speaking with kids and try to pass on some of my passion for the sport to them.
4) Public speaking comes easy for me, and I enjoy "Bench Racing" with these kids!

If given the opportunity, (CAR AND FUNDING) it is my goal to travel across the country and bring back the NHRA SAFETY SAFARI. At every NHRA NATIONAL EVENT, to show up to the closest high school near the track on Wed or Thursday prior to the event and talk to the students, (FULL SCHOOL ASSEMBLY) about the Dangers of:

- Drinking and Driving
- Illegal Street Racing
- Driving in unsafe conditions
- Defensive Driving techniques

We would set up a few cars, Put them on the Jack Stands, and Fire them up for the kids. I'd also like to work with local track owners and the NHRA to provide a "DISCOUNT" ticket to the race for students, perhaps on Friday or Saturday. To me, this is the PURPOSE of the NHRA! The Pro Cars are the "SHOW" and Sportsman racers are the "filler" that the NHRA TRAVELING Tour showcases. However, the original purpose of the NHRA was to educated and enlighten people of the need and the ability to race their cars in a safe controlled environment. It is my goal to facilitate this! I just need a bit of help getting the "AMMO"! ;)

I agree 100%! In order for our sport to succeed, we need to Bring the Kids to the Show, or bring the show to the kids! Let them experience fair play, competition, teamwork and SAFETY! The kids bring the parents, the parents bring their $$$, they all pick their favorite teams and drivers, support their sponsors..and the hits just keep on coming! I'm doing what I can with nothing more than the Gift of Gab, a strong passion for the sport, and a bit of motivation to help our sport grow.

For the past 2 years, In conjunction with my employer, I have spent some time at local high schools auto shops talking with the kids about defensive driving, (as I am an instructor for my company's Couriers), the dangers of street racing, and to fulfill their need for speed on the strip. I do this on my own time, on my own dime, without a car to display, and usually in my Work Uniform during lunch. I do this because:
2) They are "gear heads" like us, and are receptive to hearing stories about Drag Racing, and how it can provide them with a job in the sport.
3) I enjoy speaking with kids and try to pass on some of my passion for the sport to them.
4) Public speaking comes easy for me, and I enjoy "Bench Racing" with these kids!

If given the opportunity, (CAR AND FUNDING) it is my goal to travel across the country and bring back the NHRA SAFETY SAFARI. At every NHRA NATIONAL EVENT, to show up to the closest high school near the track on Wed or Thursday prior to the event and talk to the students, (FULL SCHOOL ASSEMBLY) about the Dangers of:

- Drinking and Driving
- Illegal Street Racing

We would set up a few cars, Put them on the Jack Stands, and Fire them up for the kids. I'd also like to work with local track owners and the NHRA to provide a "DISCOUNT" ticket to the race for students, perhaps on Friday or Saturday. To me, this is the PURPOSE of the NHRA! The Pro Cars are the "SHOW" and Sportsman racers are the "filler" that the NHRA TRAVELING Tour showcases. However, the original purpose of the NHRA was to educated and enlighten people of the need and the ability to race their cars in a safe controlled environment. It is my goal to facilitate this! I just need a bit of help getting the "AMMO"! ;)

I agree 100%! In order for our sport to succeed, we need to Bring the Kids to the Show, or bring the show to the kids! Let them experience fair play, competition, teamwork and SAFETY! The kids bring the parents, the parents bring their $$$, they all pick their favorite teams and drivers, support their sponsors..and the hits just keep on coming! I'm doing what I can with nothing more than the Gift of Gab, a strong passion for the sport, and a bit of motivation to help our sport grow.

Tim, what you want to do is right on track, keep it up. What did happen to the Safety Safari and educating the kids through NHRA, does anyone know.

- Drinking and Driving
- Illegal Street Racing

Tim,

As good as you are with video, maybe a video compilation of crashes on the track would be good... showing that it dangerous, but being at a safe facility and controlled environment is critical. If you do make one, and wouldn't mind me using it, I'd volunteer to speak in my area as well to spread the message.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back