FourWide Charlotte (3 Viewers)

I am totally fed up. I have been involved with drag racing for over 60 years and can't except the current level of the sport. At the very best the Tasca situation is a total lack of communication from NHRA.
I am not a big Nascar fan but I do watch some of their races and am impressed with how they can continually show 35+ cars position. How pitiful was the total mess during the pro stock qualifying 1st round today? How can Drag Race Central have race info earlier and more accurate than NHRA.com ?

Asking because I don’t know: Can media blasting change the surface of the manifold and make it flow better?
i believe it has been stated this morning on the nhra podcast, that there is no dimensional change to the manifold, hence no performance advantage.
only a color change in the metal resulting from the flow process used on manifolds in question.

........how they can continually show 35+ cars position........
seems like nascar brass and the teams move in unison via their 'franchise' situation
to push for continued success in their nascar business model

Asking because I don’t know: Can media blasting change the surface of the manifold and make it flow better?
Based solely on the very little I remember from working around aircraft maintenance… I’m inclined to say yes, there’s a “CHANCE” the surface(s) could be altered… even unintentionally. But man they must have some pretty hi-tech scanners available to them out on the road to be able to detect something like this on the fly. There are different media types, and certain ones do certain things to certain surfaces. Then there’s human factors/operator error as well. I could be way off here. It just sucks for Tasca though…. nobody needs that aggravation. Not the kind of thing you want to explain to your sponsors.

I don't remember the TA/D and TA/FC cars getting 4 qualifying attempts much in the past, such as they are getting this weekend at Charlotte. How often have we seen that before? Indy maybe?

bt3 goes 3.834 @ 338.34 #2 spot behind john. i really thought he'd leave, but i guess when sponsors are involved,
cooler heads usually prevail. as usual, racers to the rescue for fellow racers.
pulling for him tomorrow. another 340 isn't too far off.

I dunno. Here we go again with NHRA tech. I’m gonna wait and see how this all unfolds. Bead blasting can make a manifold flow better depending on the material used, which wasn’t stated (usually it’s glass, which probably won’t change flow much, if at all), but Tasca says this was done as a cleaning procedure prior to flow bench testing. They also acid dip some of the manifolds. This can also change the flow characteristics and the color, but not the dimensions. Hmmm. I don’t know why they didn’t DQ him from the whole event, and all prior events, since he’s probably running the same manifolds. Based on color alone, that’s not a reason to disqualify somebody.

Last edited:
And set low et and mph of the quad, and won the mission challenge with a BORROWED manifold and injector setup. Guess the color doesn’t matter. Way to go BT III.

Some of the people making technical decisions are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. years ago a tech inspector was checking the wing struts on a top alky dragster at Bakersfield buy rubbing his fingers up and down on the wing struts. the owner/driver of the car asked him what are you doing. he said these fingers can feel a problem in anything. the owner turned around and dropped his pants bent over and told the inspector check this for a problem will you. I saw it happen. 🤣
Larry Sutton---Lions starter and racer (RET)🤠

Last edited:
A youtube video about Tascas disqualifcation
I am not a fan of Tasca. But it sounds like he got screwed on this one.

Tasca disqualified video
It is a shame what drag racing has come to. disqualifying a run because of the color of a metal part is BS. I miss the days when drag racing management had common sense. they wonder why the fields are getting leaner. And I am so glad I don't play the game any longer.
Larry Sutton---🤠

PS; I have been in aerospace quality assurance all of my life (47 years). Metal can change color for many reasons. temperature, oil, cleaning, age, storage. non destructive testing, ETC.ETC. magnesium especially.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back