JCM Racing Celebrates One-Year Anniversary (1 Viewer)

JCM logo.jpg

JCM Racing Celebrates One-Year Anniversary
Joe Maynard Reflects on First Year as NHRA Team Owner

BROWNSBURG, Ind. (July 25, 2023) – Immediately following the 2022 NHRA Sonoma Nationals, Joe and Cathi Maynard, together with Don Schumacher, jointly announced that the Maynard family would assume the controls of the Tony Schumacher-piloted Top Fuel operation as majority team owners. Less than one week later, the Maynard’s JCM Racing team made its on-track debut at the NHRA Northwest Nationals, and at their first race in an ownership role, Joe and Cathi, along with their partners Eric and Kim Lehman, clinched their first win when Schumacher powered to victory to deliver Wally trophy No. 1 for JCM Racing.
Since that time, the JCM Racing organization has blossomed into a three-car powerhouse with the additions of Tim Wilkerson and Justin Ashley, who teamed up with JCM to form Maynard Wilkerson Racing and Maynard Ashley Racing, respectively. Add a burgeoning driver development program overseen by Maynard’s son, Joe C. Maynard, to the mix, and it’s not hard to see how the JCM Racing organization has taken the NHRA world by storm in just one year’s time.
Team patriarch Joe Maynard took time to reflect on JCM Racing’s inaugural year following the 2023 NHRA Northwest Nationals where Wilkerson powered the SCAG Power Equipment/Levi, Ray & Shoup Ford Mustang to victory, picking up win No. 5 for the organization.
If you could describe your first year as an NHRA team owner in three words, what would they be?
High, low, and excitement.
There have been several highs. Winning that first race with Tony last year at Seattle, partnering with Tim Wilkerson and him winning a race at his sixth event since we announced the Maynard Wilkerson Racing partnership and again this past weekend, and then partnering with Justin and him winning two of the first three races, those are the highs. Obviously, Cathi’s passing was the low, but I will say, the way that the whole NHRA community came together to show their support is a great example of how it’s one big family out here. And the excitement? It’s just being out here. We love it, my family loves it; it’s something we can all enjoy together.
You bring a unique perspective having first started as a fan of the sport, to progressing to an associate sponsor role followed by a primary sponsorship, and now into a team ownership role. How do you feel that progression has benefitted you?
It’s helped a great deal simply because as a sponsor, I was being sold to and now as an owner, I’m having to transition from being sold to, to now doing the selling, which enables me to understand what the challenges are on both sides. Having a sponsor like SCAG Power Equipment and Randy Gloede (SCAG President and CEO) has been tremendous because he’s taught me a lot on the business side of it from their perspective.
Did this first year go as you had envisioned?
I would say so. No one comes out here and anticipates that they’re going to win every single race. You have to be realistic. We basically started with a new car and two new Top Fuel crew chiefs on Tony’s team this year, but yes, I’d say it’s gone as we’d hoped it would go. Five Wally (trophies) so far in our first year with our combined teams; we’re happy about that.
What has surprised you the most with this venture?
There are some things that have been eye-opening, particularly with how much the costs are as it relates to parts and pieces, and how quickly they can add up. But not a whole lot really surprises me because at the end of the day, I’m a businessman that also happens to be a big drag racing fan so I anticipated a lot of this going into it. Not to mention, I had a great mentor in Don Schumacher. He gave me all of the insight I could’ve ever asked for, so I felt very comfortable going in.
You’ve been very successful in business with ECHO Power Engineering, and the recent opening of your new Clarksville, Tenn. restaurant, Shelby’s Trio. How does that particular business savviness help you on the racing side?
For me, the ability to judge what’s real and what isn’t real, and the ability to convert what’s real into actionable items. What I mean by that is, I can easily see through ‘the fluff.’ There are people that tell you things that may not necessarily be in your best interest and there are others who genuinely want to be helpful, and not just tell you what they think you want to hear. My experience has helped me be able to easily discern the good from the nonsense.
In just one year, you’ve gone from majority owners of Tony’s car to now having three cars operate as part of the JCM organization plus a growing driver development program. What’s next for the JCM Racing team?
Well honestly, probably another car, preferably a Funny Car. I’d love to have a rounded, balanced team with two Top Fuel dragsters and two Funny Cars, and if we can find the right partners, I’d also love to expand into other classes. Ideally, I’d have something in every pro category, so Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle, those are next on my list, but I’m not against an alcohol team either because that’s a natural feeder to the premier level.

JCM Racing Timeline:

• April 2021 – Joe and Cathi Maynard join Don Schumacher Racing as major associate sponsors on Leah Pruett’s Top Fuel dragster
  • October 2021 – It is announced that Tony Schumacher will return to full-time NHRA competition in 2022 after a three-year hiatus, thanks to the support of the Maynard family
  • July 24, 2022 – The Maynard family and Don Schumacher Racing jointly announced that the Maynards will take over the Schumacher-piloted Top Fuel dragster as majority team owners, effective July 25, 2022. JCM Racing is formed.
  • July 29, 2022 – The Maynards, along with their partners Eric and Kim Lehman, make their debut as NHRA team owners at the NHRA Northwest Nationals
  • July 31, 2022 – Schumacher powers to victory at the Northwest Nationals to deliver Wally trophy No. 1 for the JCM Racing organization
  • January 2023 – JCM Racing and Tim Wilkerson partner to form Maynard Wilkerson Racing
  • May 20, 2023 – JCM Racing and Max Out Motorsports announce formation of Maynard Ashley Racing during Route 66 NHRA Nationals
  • May 21, 2023 – Wilkerson drives the SCAG Power Equipment/Levi, Ray & Shoup Ford Mustang to the win in Chicago to capture the first Funny Car triumph for JCM Racing
  • June 10 – 11, 2023 – Justin Ashley doubles-up during the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals to win the Bristol, Tenn. and rain-delayed Epping, N.H. events, capturing his first two victories since partnering with JCM Racing
JCM Racing By-the-Numbers:
Total wins: 5
Top Fuel – 3
Funny Car – 2

Win count:
1.Tony Schumacher, Top Fuel, Seattle 2022
2.Tim Wilkerson, Funny Car, Chicago 2023
3.Justin Ashley, Top Fuel, Epping 2023
4.Justin Ashley, Top Fuel, Bristol 2023
5.Tim Wilkerson, Funny Car, Seattle 2023

2023-07-25_14-07-48.jpg
2023-07-25_14-08-48.jpg

Left photo: JCM Racing owner Joe Maynard stands next to Tony Schumacher's SCAG Power Equipment Top Fuel dragster during the 2023 NHRA Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways
Right photo: Tony Schumacher was the first driver to compete as a member of the JCM Racing stable

2023-07-25_14-09-04.jpg
2023-07-25_14-09-26.jpg

Left photo: JCM Racing and Tim Wilkerson partnered to form Maynard Wilkerson Racing during the 2022-2023 NHRA off-season
Right photo: JCM Racing and Max Out Motorsports announced the formation of Maynard Ashley Racing during the 2023 Route 66 NHRA Nationals

About JCM Racing:
Established in 2022, JCM Racing is a multi-car NHRA team owned by Joe and Cathi Maynard, along with their partners Eric and Kim Lehman, all of Clarksville, Tenn.
Headliners for the JCM Racing team are the SCAG Power Equipment Top Fuel dragster driven by Tony Schumacher, the SCAG Power Equipment/Levi, Ray & Shoup Ford Mustang Funny Car piloted by Tim Wilkerson, and the Phillips Connect Toyota Top Fuel dragster campaigned by Justin Ashley. As an eight-time world champion and 86-time event winner, Schumacher is the most decorated Top Fuel driver in the history of the sport. Wilkerson is a 24-time Funny Car winner and an industry anomaly as he serves as both the driver and tuner of his 11,000-horsepower machine. While still considered a newcomer to the Camping World Series, Ashley, the 2020 Rookie of the Year recipient, has already earned a reputation as one of the best 'leavers' in the Top Fuel category. NHRA Hall of Famer Don Schumacher, father of Tony Schumacher, is a minority owner of the SCAG dragster, while Tim Wilkerson Racing (TWR) co-owns the SCAG/LRS Mustang with JCM Racing. The Maynard Ashley Racing (MAR) operation is co-owned by JCM Racing and Max Out Motorsports. Between the three entities, JCM Racing owns five national event wins to date.
JCM Racing also operates a driver development program, which currently lends support to three entries in NHRA’s Sportsman categories. Wyatt Wagner competes in Super Stock, Kayleigh Hill is a Super Comp racer, and Waylon Bennett tears it up in the Jr. Drag Racing League. Through the driver development program, JCM offers young talent the opportunity to hone in and perfect their driving skills as they work toward a career competing in NHRA’s professional ranks.
For more information, visit @jcmnitro on Twitter and Instagram, @JCMNitro on Facebook, and JCMNitro.com.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back