for Top Fuel Chevy Fans; Jim Bucher video (1 Viewer)

Thanks for sharing Mike, I was a big Jim Bucher fan back in the day, Saw him win the 1975 summer nationals. Was like a chevy superman. Was so cool when he set the national record at the gators.

You saw him win Summer nationals and set record at gators?

Those are the two races I would love to find video of

even a home movie.

if anyone knows of any let me know.

Also the 1973 Summer nationals he was runner up.

he also won a bunch of points meets. If anyone has anything it would be great to see.

mike

It is cool to read this stuff from people who were his fans.

The history of the Chevy's in T/F started with My dad in 1972 . The E.T. record in 1973 is where he had the biggest impact. Next was Larry Dixon. He was right there. He actually beat my dad in the 5's at Ontario. I remember my Dad saying it was during a session where everyone was breaking into the 5's and he was not in that session. It bummed him out but he was good friends with Larry.
(Little Larry was with my brothers and I at my Dad's induction ceremony last year in the Hall of fame).

Jerry Johansen with Howards Racing Cams was a big help to Larry Dixon and my Dad. I think Jerry is one of the least recognized guys in the sports history. If Jerry had lived he would be in the Alan Johnson, Austin Coil category.

The later 70's is when Shiroma, Mcdaniels and Rodeck came in but my dad was already real sick. The last Chevy in T/F was Jim Head"s crew chief Johnny Davis. I think he ended up with the quickest E.T.

For my dad it was about money. he would say that the hemi guys had more money in the engine than he did in his engine, dragster, truck and trailer. It was true.

I think we all like the underdog. When he set the record it was him against about 50 T/F cars.

His secret was light weight. He did some amazing thing to lighten the car. I think he was one of the first to drill 800 holes in the brake disc. He had a wire for a throttle pedal. He had the dzus fasteners drilled out. He would also remove spinning weight that would absorb power. Instead of adding weight to the crank counterweights he would remove weight. He actually had the camshaft drilled lengthwise from end to end. He also had the flat side of the lobes drilled with half inch holes. The car in Big daddy's museum is the ultimate with all of this stuff.

( this is some top secret stuff) All he needed was me in the car. I was 60 lbs lighter than he was but I was not quite old enough.

Mike

Hey guys a cool footnote to those post.

The camshaft I mentioned with the holes. Well I started looking to see what happened to it. Bobby Johansen with Howards rods still had it in the same shop in L.A. He said I could have it.

I am going to put it on the mantle in my house.

Also the comment about Jerry Johansen being like Allan Johnson today if he had lived. His brothers told me that Alan Johnson used to call Jerry with questions way back when he ran alcohol. They said Jerry helped him alot.

Interesting footnote to all of this

mike

Hey guys a cool footnote to those post.

The camshaft I mentioned with the holes. Well I started looking to see what happened to it. Bobby Johansen with Howards rods still had it in the same shop in L.A. He said I could have it.

I am going to put it on the mantle in my house.

Also the comment about Jerry Johansen being like Allan Johnson today if he had lived. His brothers told me that Alan Johnson used to call Jerry with questions way back when he ran alcohol. They said Jerry helped him alot.

Interesting footnote to all of this

mike

Alan and Blaine Johnson got their asphalt start running a Rodeck Chevy before the Olds.

Also Mike, I didn't witness the Gators nat record but It sure got me excited in anticipation of seeing him race at Englishtown. I attended every day of the summers every year during that era. Except for a rain delayed monday{or was it tuesday?) gary beck final win when I had to work outside within ear shot roofing a house in manalapan.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back