for Top Fuel Chevy Fans; Jim Bucher video (1 Viewer)

Watchman

Nitro Member
Here is some video of my Dad. It was sent to me by someone on this site ( Dave Labs).

YouTube - jim bucher gatornationals 1976

It is the 1976 Gatornationals.

We put together all of the runs he made.

He went to the final round.

There are not many videos of him that exist.

I remember after this race he said he was caught of guard in the final.

James Warren went up in smoke immediately so he was able to recover quickly. My dad said that his car went a little further and he thought it would not. It surprised him when it did.

He was just getting sick. He had pneumonia during this race.

If anyone has any more video of him let me know.

Mike

Last edited:
I'm always amazed whenever I see footage of the old TF'ers at how exposed the drivers were.

Great video Mike.

Great link Mike. Please say hi to your brother Tim for me. Maybe PM me his current phone number? Thanks.

Thanks for sharing Mike, I was a big Jim Bucher fan back in the day, Saw him win the 1975 summer nationals. Was like a chevy superman. Was so cool when he set the national record at the gators. All those hemis (and there were a lot of top fuel cars back then) and out of a total of three competitive chevy top fuel cars in the nation. he was the only one to get the job done, I did a quick google search pastor mike, I am glad your father ultimately found what he was looking for before he passed.

{edit}
Mike did you ever think to go to Garlits museum and ask him if you could just sit in your dads car just one more time?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Mike, I was a big Jim Bucher fan back in the day, Saw him win the 1975 summer nationals. Was like a chevy superman. Was so cool when he set the national record at the gators. All those hemis (and there were a lot of top fuel cars back then) and out of a total of three competitive chevy top fuel cars in the nation. he was the only one to get the job done, I did a quick google search pastor mike, I am glad your father ultimately found what he was looking for before he passed.

{edit}
Mike did you ever think to go to Garlits museum and ask him if you could just sit in your dads car just one more time?

It would be nice if there were video of 1975 Summernationals or 1973 Gatornationals when he set the record but I do not think they exist. I have always wondered if someone had any home movies/videos of either of those.

I did sit in the car about 7 years ago when Big Daddy brought it up to Columbus for a Super Chevy show. I sat in it then.

I could not believe how small the cockpit was. He was over 6 ft. 200lbs and I am 5'10" at 170. It was tight for me.

mike

Mike - I've been a nitro fan for 45 years. It's nice of you to honor your dad with stuff like this. Your dad was one awesome fuel racer in his time. Thank you for sharing this will all of us!

-90% Jimmy

All those hemis (and there were a lot of top fuel cars back then) and out of a total of three competitive chevy top fuel cars in the nation. he was the only one to get the job done.

Stan Siroma at the wheel of the Lidke and Zeller AA/FD running a Chevrolet with the "990" heads set the Irwindale track records at 5.82 in the 1970's, a record which still stands today (only because they closed the place) in spite of the big buck hemi teams that also ran there. Being a Chevy guy at the time it was Stan or Jim or no one as far as I was concerned. Steve Evan's would say over the PA at Irwindale "That Lidke and Zeller car is the loudest car I've ever heard."

Shiroma, Lidke and Zeller also got the job done, as you say, at the NHRA National Event in Seattle in the 1970's. The third more famous Chevrolet AA/FD was John Rodeck, who started his block company in an effort to make a better Chevrolet block. That company became what is now known as "TFX" with the hemi division having been sold to TF Champion tuner/car owner Alan Johnson.

In 1977 I worked with Dwayne Lidke and used to hang out from time to time at his house in Bellflower, CA. It had a small specially-built-for-a-dragster shop in the back yard. The house was formerly owned by Jeb Allen of "Praying Mantis" fame.

Dwayne would tell the story about how he, Ray Zeller and Stan Shiroma one evening decided to fire up the AA/FD in the shop. Dwayne would say that the normally calm Stanley would get this look in his eyes as the engine was running like he was ready for a bull fight. This time Dwayne gave Shiroma the thumbs up to whap the throttle once while it was running on jack stands.

WHAAAAAP!

Crash down came all the flourescent lights in the shop, and Stanley just sat there in the dark with the engine idling. By the light of the header fire, Lidke and Zeller started hunting for flashlights.

In the years I knew Dwayne before he died of cancer he spoke highly of Jim and had a lot of respect for him. Everyone around them were always curious why they would chose to run a Chevy instead of the mighty hemi. Dwayne's answer always was "Because the parts are cheaper." But Jim and Dwayne proved it could be competitive, too.

Last edited:
I did a quick google search pastor mike, I am glad your father ultimately found what he was looking for before he passed.

Read this. Great stuff.

Calvary Chapel Cleveland

Legendary funny car and dragster painter Tom Stratton and Brooks Rods owner Robert Goodwin have exactly the same happy beginning (not ending).

Mike, here's where my wife and I hang out Sundays and Wednesdays if we aren't racing the car. Are you familiar with Jack Abeelen?

Morningstar Christian Chapel

RG

Last edited:
Hey randy. Don't forget Rance McDaniel in the valley fever car. And yes I can always remember Shiroma,lidtke,Zeller and larry Dixon in "the real don steele" car. Another favorite of mine that didnt tour much but concentrated its efforts in division one was the "Hemi Hunter" of Johnson, Peters. Rauch and McCullough. with Dale Theirer and Roger Toth driving

Last edited:
My favorite race ever was Indy 1973, and there are two reasons. Beck's win in TF, defending the title he won at the '72 race when all the hitters were at the PRO Race, and Jim Bucher's qualifying "antics." That's the only word I can think of as a reference. JB is on my short list of all time favorite racers. Thanks for the memories.

It is cool to read this stuff from people who were his fans.

The history of the Chevy's in T/F started with My dad in 1972 . The E.T. record in 1973 is where he had the biggest impact. Next was Larry Dixon. He was right there. He actually beat my dad in the 5's at Ontario. I remember my Dad saying it was during a session where everyone was breaking into the 5's and he was not in that session. It bummed him out but he was good friends with Larry.
(Little Larry was with my brothers and I at my Dad's induction ceremony last year in the Hall of fame).

Jerry Johansen with Howards Racing Cams was a big help to Larry Dixon and my Dad. I think Jerry is one of the least recognized guys in the sports history. If Jerry had lived he would be in the Alan Johnson, Austin Coil category.

The later 70's is when Shiroma, Mcdaniels and Rodeck came in but my dad was already real sick. The last Chevy in T/F was Jim Head"s crew chief Johnny Davis. I think he ended up with the quickest E.T.

For my dad it was about money. he would say that the hemi guys had more money in the engine than he did in his engine, dragster, truck and trailer. It was true.

I think we all like the underdog. When he set the record it was him against about 50 T/F cars.

His secret was light weight. He did some amazing thing to lighten the car. I think he was one of the first to drill 800 holes in the brake disc. He had a wire for a throttle pedal. He had the dzus fasteners drilled out. He would also remove spinning weight that would absorb power. Instead of adding weight to the crank counterweights he would remove weight. He actually had the camshaft drilled lengthwise from end to end. He also had the flat side of the lobes drilled with half inch holes. The car in Big daddy's museum is the ultimate with all of this stuff.

( this is some top secret stuff) All he needed was me in the car. I was 60 lbs lighter than he was but I was not quite old enough.

Mike

Last edited:
A lot of fans held out a lot of hope for those "little" big block Chevies against the big buck hemi teams! Great video. Thanks.

Great stuff Mike. My dad ran a big-block Chevy in Comp so we always rooted for your dad. Are you racing anything yourself these days? I thought you raced a gas dragster.

Great stuff Mike. My dad ran a big-block Chevy in Comp so we always rooted for your dad. Are you racing anything yourself these days? I thought you raced a gas dragster.

I have 2 younger brothers who have had Super Comp and Top Dragsters. One (Tim) let me drive his but he has sold it. The other (Rick) has a Top Dragster and is putting it together. I have tried to find sponsorship for him. He said he will let me drive also. The key is money. It should run 6.50 210mph. It is a blown alcohol small block Chevy.

Here are a couple of Videos at the induction ceremony for my Dad into the Hall of Fame last year. It has all three brothers and my Mom. My Mom had people laughing and crying. She did a great job. It is in 2 parts;

part 1
YouTube - Jim Bucher hall of fame part 1

part2
YouTube - Jim Bucher hall of fame part 2

Mike

Last edited:
Great thread of some great times. Loved those BBC cars. Ran one myself in Comp. back then.:D Thanks for the links guys.:cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back