Food for thought.....real or a scam? (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
OK another bad post by yours truly. This really just happend about 5 minutes ago.

A guy in his 20's walked up to the door and said he was making deliveries in my area and had extra steaks and shrimp that he would sell me at half price. He would even show me samples. I almost said yes let's see them but then I thought what if this is a scam or the meat was spoiled? So I said no thanks.

He then rides off in a brown Chevy Love pick-up with a freezer in the bed. Some gal was driving with what looked like bleached hair, he rode in the passanger side. The guy was not wearing a uniform and there was no lettering on the pick up. So it wasn't like the Schwan's truck or something like that. I'm for steaks at half price but this seemed suspicious.

Was it a scam or not? Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents?

I know that there are some legitmate guys where I live and they contract with the local butchers. They are fairly popular calling on businesses and usually have a pretty set route. However, I just can't make myself trust that it is good meat even though I think it probably is.

Same thing here, I see them several times selling it and I even know some people that have bought it and said it was fine, but I just cant make myself do it. Not even filet mignon the other day 4 5oz for $10. I just couldnt do it. I think there are some that are ok and some probably arent. If you continue to see the same guy around, then I would suspect its ok.

Same deal. I used to see them more often. One came up to a friend's garage when several of us were working on some cars. Used the same "extra, leftover" line. We didn't trust it.

Well around here I know of nobody doing this, and when there's no sign of it being a legit business, I just thought it was better to pass on it.

Around here we have a lot of seafood trucks that park on the side of the road with a sign... However door to door sales attempts are remarkably rare.

I've only been approached by them that once, but many times I've seen them in the middle of making their sales pitch to others in which they're holding up the same steaks that are vacuume sealed in plastic. Always a small pickup with a cooler/fridge mounted in the bed. Seems pretty scary to me to buy meat with no identifying packaging/USDA markings from someone you don't know and put it in you and/or your family's stomachs.

You've heard that there's a sucker born every minute?
That's me!
I'm over in Southern California a couple weeks back when this same type guy pulls up while I'm out in the front yard playing with the grandkids and talking to my daughter. Exact same truck, same sales pitch, same vacuum packed steaks. My son-in-law loves to bar-b-que (might be because of the matching hyphens) so I negotiate this guy down to a paltry $150. and buy his giant box of steaks. We had inch and a half thick fillet mignons wrapped in bacon that evening and New York strips the last night before we headed for home. Last week while there for the Pomona finals, we had T-bones and Rib eyes. I thought they were excellent! All in all, I'd say there were 15 family sized meals in all and nobody here has died as yet? He even gave me his card and invited us to call when we need more. It figured out to about $2.50 per pound and there was about 10 lbs of hamburger in the deal. Seemed like it was all very well aged - excellent tasting beef? Who knows?

Uh Bobby,
when you say the same exact truck... was it a brown Chevrolet Luv pick-up? Was the guy about 5'8'' real short hair? A gal driving with blond hair? I think there was some numbers on the freezer.

LOL, that guy's getting around!

It IS funny how similar the M.O. is with this deal all over the country. Seems too similar for them to not be related, or is it just copycat.

This is definitely not a bad post. It's one of those topics that I've been aware of for years but never thought about when I was in front of a computer.

Most of my recent posts have crashed and burned so I'm glad you find this one entertaining! :)

LOL, it's funny how it works. I'll start a thread thinking "Man, they're going to love this." Yeah, right. Goes over like the old lead balloon! (Monster Nash)

Then you start one that you were kind of apprehentious about posting in the first place (the job thread) and it goes pretty good.

That must be a real copycat little industry, though. Always a small truck with a cooler/chest mounted in the back. If you see one, you know what it is. Makes you want some investigative reporter to do a story on it, LOL. "Who are they? Where do they come from?" :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back