Sit Or Stand??? (1 Viewer)

r2

Nitro Member
This I am sure has been brought up before...
But this is the worst I have ever witnessed...
Sonoma, Tower side, I know we all paid the same price for our seats, or standing space...My ticket said SEAT#... But come on... When everyone stays in thier SEAT... 95% of us can see a full pass... But when entire sections stand up to get a better ??? I don't get it... I know the kids can't see a thing, anyone under 6'5" standing on the seat in front of them cannot see a thing... I gave our Sat. and Sun. reserved seats to a couple behind us at the 60' mark... As getting to watch any cars even leave the line was IMPOSSIBLE!!!
So we went down to Alan Reinhart's area... It was us and the rattle snakes, but it is the best seats in the house if you ask me... I end up there every year anyway, but this year was rediculious... I'm not even going to go into the taking picture part of it from the stands, because I saw how that went on another post... Any comments on staying seated or standing??? Here we go!! Try to stay on the topic please...:rolleyes:

I agree it can get bad. If everyone sat down then everyone would see but its not ever going to happen. The only way I think you could ever accomplish it was if you were to have police on the walkways and if someone stood they got a warning or had to leave. But I dont really want that to happen either. but I dont know a solution. Luckily I havent had to deal with this problem in the last 5 or 6 years but I remember it like it was yesterday. I just used to get there early and sit at the end of the spectator side, bottom row. I was guaranteed to see from there but you better have someone else with you or you will lose it when you have to leave for food, drink, bathroom, etc.

That's why I do Champion's/Top Eliminator Club seats. Seat backs (45 degree angle to track) , breakfast, lunch, free tea and lemonade, fully stocked bar and your own, always clean restroom. :cool: :cool: Maybe not available in Sonoma?

This I am sure has been brought up before...
But this is the worst I have ever witnessed...
Sonoma, Tower side, I know we all paid the same price for our seats, or standing space...My ticket said SEAT#... But come on... When everyone stays in thier SEAT... 95% of us can see a full pass... But when entire sections stand up to get a better ??? I don't get it. Any comments on staying seated or standing??? Here we go!! Try to stay on the topic please...:rolleyes:

Ray, you must be REAL NEW to Nitromater. If I had the ability to send you the link to the 10 page (at least) thread on "Sit or Stand" from the old Nitromater, I would. It was beat to death about 3-4 months ago. I guess it won't hurt to get all the new Maters to voice their opinions on this, but I only have one thing to say...NO COMMENT. Sorry to hear it ruined your viewing experience though.

Ray, you must be REAL NEW to Nitromater. If I had the ability to send you the link to the 10 page (at least) thread on "Sit or Stand" from the old Nitromater, I would. It was beat to death about 3-4 months ago. I guess it won't hurt to get all the new Maters to voice their opinions on this, but I only have one thing to say...NO COMMENT. Sorry to hear it ruined your viewing experience though.
Kurt
I am not new to Mater, But I did not see the thread on subject on old mater, or was not concerned with it at the time... I am also not new to Drag Racing, as I was born and raised at kingdon raceway in Lodi, Ca. I've been in every position there is in this sport... And I mean every!! 43 years...
However, this year was like none I have ever seen... I figured it was cheaper to give up my tickets for the weekend, then it was going to cost me in bail, court and lawyer fees... I am not whinning or crying, I should have known better... usually it is just a few, but I am talking about entire sections... I would like to get your comment... That is why I started this thread... And also why I started it with... I'M SURE THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP BEFORE...

It would be really nice if everyone sat in their seats and watched...but I guess it is just the excitement of it all that makes everyone stand (myself included...although I do try and wait until others start to stand first)....I hate that the children and the vertically challenged among us have these problems...but you will never get everyone to sit....so I guess the best solution is to take into consideration that this is going to happen when you purchase your tickets...either buy non reserved and get there early to pick your spot...or buy tickets early in order to have a better selection of where you would like to sit...

Kurt
I am not new to Mater, But I did not see the thread on subject on old mater, or was not concerned with it at the time... I am also not new to Drag Racing, as I was born and raised at kingdon raceway in Lodi, Ca. I've been in every position there is in this sport... And I mean every!! 43 years...
However, this year was like none I have ever seen... I figured it was cheaper to give up my tickets for the weekend, then it was going to cost me in bail, court and lawyer fees... I am not whinning or crying, I should have known better... usually it is just a few, but I am talking about entire sections... I would like to get your comment... That is why I started this thread... And also why I started it with... I'M SURE THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP BEFORE...

Ray,

Sorry to peg you as a new member, just didn't recall seeing your old Screen Name much on the previous NitroMater. I wasn't insinuating that you were new to the sport either, as I could tell from your previous posts, and the fact that your signature block seems to indicate that you are a current NHRA member and racer. To answer your question, I don't appreciate that people stand up either, and it's not just at drag race events. Haven't been to a arena rock concert in years, but back when I did, I used to hate when everyone would stand during the concert and STAY statnding for song after song after song, and unless you stood too, you would'nt see the show. It would take a slow song to get people to sit, no matter how many times people yelled "Down in Front". Bummer about giving up your seats for the weekend at Sonoma. Did you get someone to pay for them, at least partially?

Kurt
We are cool, I lurked for a long long time before I started opening my mouth on here... Many others do the same... Just handed the tickets off and walked to the mountain top... I know I am asking for trouble with this thread, but I wanted to get some other views as well. I never have made a good spectator as it is... But it or this really is'nt about me... It's more about the fans and families that pay big bucks or travel long distances to watch the back of a plumbers crack... NO OFFENSE TO PLUMBERS... example purposes only...;) :D

We showed up yesterday morning at Sears Point (Infineon) to find out our seats were not towerside bleachers, but the main grandstands. At first I was upset because I specifically ordered towerside to be closer. Anyhow, get to our seats, Section L Row 23, actually wasnt too bad of a view.

As the day went on during the Nitro sessions I noticed across the track everyone was standing and figured the view from there was not good. The main grandstand nobody stood and blocked my view, plus we had shade most of the afternoon.....so afterall I was pleased with the main grandstand, even though its a little further than I like.

I was in the main grandstands too. I have to say the vantage point was very good. I was in K row 34. The only problem was my bad knee and climbing up and down the grandstands...that and the 3 mile walk to the car...

That's what's Great about Vegas, the Stands are angled so you see both Scoreboards without standing! As for other tracks, that's what the Appeal of TEC!

People standing when the fuel cars run has bothered me for a long time. I know that several people I brought out for the first time had no interest in ever returning because they couldn't see. You can stand by the fence but since the installation of the guardwalls, at many places all you can see is the wings of the top fuel cars. If you pay for a seat, you shouldn't have to stand on it.

Thats why I do tec at Indy, everyone sees nobody stands.

I understand why people stand, its the excitement and such. You don't go to a baseball or football game and not stand at some point. But it does suck when you pay the ticket price and all you get to see is the guys head in front of you

I understand why people stand, its the excitement and such. You don't go to a baseball or football game and not stand at some point. But it does suck when you pay the ticket price and all you get to see is the guys head in front of you

That's why Jerry and your Dad like sitting in the Bowl at Chi-town! NO obstructions!

I totally understand what other tracks may or may not have in the way of special seating... I.E. TEC etc. But Sonoma is unique in the way the seating is arranged... The (pit side) stands are located some 500 feet from the track, and that is at the base... I noticed that no one over there was standing up at all... I also think they have seats that the bottom springs up if you get out of your seat... My proposal is that on the tower side bleachers, they spring load them and if everyone stands up, the whole row of seats folds down and the foot rest or walking area falls away and that row is eliminated... That might solve the problem... Let's give it a try and see if everyone stays seated... :D :p :eek:

but people at baseball and football games don't stand for the whole game either. i think stick and ball fans would just kick your ass, literally, if you were ruining their day. I guess we're just too nice.

I don't have a choice, I have to sit. And since I take my own seat with me wherever I go it doesn't bother me when people stand as long as they are behind me. :D

On a side note though, when I go to the races and someone does stand up in front of me and doesn't notice I am behind them they always move for me once they see me or someone near me will yell at them to get out of my way. Gotta love drag racing fans, MOST of them anyway have respect for other people.

I really don't know what it was about this year... It has never been like this... I will usually give the polite back of the shirt tug, or go down and get an address so I can send all the pictures of the back of thier heads to, or I will tell them they should get that mole on the back of thier head looked at... Could be serious, not meant to be funny...:rolleyes: NOTHING was going to work this time... NOTHING!!! I really don't want this post to go to 10 pages... I just wanted to see if it was just me...:rolleyes:
Maybe I'm getting to old for this $&!@...:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back