First Broadcast (1 Viewer)

Pete

Nitro Member
I have to give FOX a pass on their first event. I was really going to be happy because the season started...but....

1) Pedregon was awful, but Reiff wasn't that much better with flubs.
2) When did cars stop doing burnouts? I think they showed 1 during the intro, but none all during the broadcast. That needs to change, as its a HUGE part of the sport.
3) They need to get rid of the sponsor overlays on the track.
4) Need to show the staging process and some form of the tree.
5) Show drivers reaction times with the ET&speed...it helps when a holeshot win or loss occurs.

There are plenty more. I know this is the start and the production with adjust as they learn what works and what doesn't.
With all of the chatter about sponsors liking the new package, I tried watching as a new potential sponsor and I was completely unimpressed.
As a fan I liked the it reporting. I actually did find myself wanting that ESPN team back....d!

I give the overall broadcast a D-

Last edited:
I have to give FOX a pass on their first event. I was really going to be happy because the season started...but....

1) Pedregon was awful, but Reiff wasn't that much better with flubs.

I disagree. He wasn't "awful". Just green. I thought he did OK when he calmed down, and didn't get all amped up.

2) When did cars stop doing burnouts? I think they showed 1 during the intro, but none all during the broadcast. That needs to change, as its a HUGE part of the sport.

I saw some during the show. Not every single one, but I saw some.

3) They need to get rid of the sponsor overlays on the track.

Get used to it. They're not going away. More sponsor exposure=more income and happier sponsors. You see them used all the time on other sports events shows.

4) Need to show the staging process and some form of the tree.

They showed the staging lights. I thought that was pretty good.

5) Show drivers reaction times with the ET&speed...it helps when a holeshot win or loss occurs.

Remember that this production crew is probably pretty "green" when it comes to drag racing. They're not completely familiar with what the drag racing fan considers "important" so some details we DO consider important will get missed. I'm guessing a post-produciton meeting was held first thing this morning in Glendora, and many of these points are going to be addressed.

I give the overall broadcast a D-

Oh, I think you're being way too harsh here. I gave them a b-/c+

It wasnt to bad,I to wish they would have the camera at the starting line more,Displaying the whole tree! And showing more ets!! Not bad,im sure it will get better! Find out in couple weeks!!

I believe without the burnouts the show goes to quick, it seems they fly through rounds

I'm not sure yet if I like the live show and really don't care as I record and watch ay a more convenient time.

Im sure it will get better with time.

Live doesn't work in our sport. 50 minutes with no racing is not good. They should have shown sportsman racing to fill.
Graphics were far too fast on & off. No green indicator of best RT or WINNERS ET.
And please quit explaining a "HOLE-SHOT" win. We GET IT ALREADY !!!

I liked the trophy presentations, but they took the raw emotion of a win away by not interviewing at the end of the track as well. When I won my first wally, I balled like a baby. So what are thy going to do, tell Bo Butner or Clay Millican when they win there first race to hold the emotion till you get to the starting line?? Also isn't it the 50th year for funnies?? Why not show the nostalgia cars running, during the hour downtime they had.

Live doesn't work in our sport. 50 minutes with no racing is not good. They should have shown sportsman racing to fill.
Graphics were far too fast on & off. No green indicator of best RT or WINNERS ET.
And please quit explaining a "HOLE-SHOT" win. We GET IT ALREADY !!!
Paul, they are not directing their lesson at you about the hole shot, they are directing it at fans that doesn't know what a hole shot is. The hole shot is a very important part of the race and needs to be explained to fans that may not understand what it means.

Pedregon is okay. He just needs to slow down a bit. He tries to say too much all at once. Probably just trying too hard. Dunn had a more relaxed pace. What bothered me was inconsistent graphics at the top end. Sometimes I didn't know who won or what the ETs were. I grade Fox an "F" for that.

We have to realize that the broadcast has to cover a wide range of knowledge. Sure die hard fan can tell all kinds of things, regardless if the announcer say it or not. Casual fans might not notice and newbies don't have a clue. Fox has to be able to get the message to all, so if they take 30 seconds to explain a hole shot, it's not a big deal. Although they did stumble on the explanation, my teenager turned and said "I know what a hole shot is.....but not after that". Pointing out that the lanes are timed separate would have helped.
Just like when ESPN would be in a pit and get in depth on the clutch pack or some other part, for some fans that's too deeper than they want to go while others love that stuff.

Same happens in stick and ball sports. The difference is that most people already have a higher basic understanding of those sports. Still when they get into depth talking about the cover 2, A gap or left wing lock....casual fans don't care. But all broadcast need to be able to have something that touches every level of fan.

As much as we are all know-it-alls now, we weren't always. Someone had to teach us, Fox is just trying to teach possible new fans,

I disagree with this. They used to be important but I would argue that the way the NHRA preps the track these cars could simply do a dry hop to clean the tires and still put up a number. Burnouts aren't exciting anymore, even less so on TV. Even John Force, the sports biggest showman does a ho-hum burnout.

My two cents!

Paul, they are not directing their lesson at you about the hole shot, they are directing it at fans that doesn't know what a hole shot is. The hole shot is a very important part of the race and needs to be explained to fans that may not understand what it means.
I agree Mr. Gray The hole shot IS very important. What I'm saying is, we, the fan, GET IT. WE don't need it EACH & EVERY race. I don't hear football explain the "FIRST DOWN".
If a newbie does tune in, and is puzzled by the term, the will ask and find out. I tune in to see & hear the race presented to me, not to get a tutorial on "Drag Racing 101". Maybe it's just me...?
I don't understand this theory that just because the broadcast is on a different channel, that (NHRA) is going to gain a multitude of BRAND NEW viewers/fans. Haven't they heard of the remote control?

There are some fundamentals that need to be ironed out -- starting with timing/winner graphics as already mentioned above.

After that's taken care of, let the viewers decide what drag racing topics they want to hear about! Early in the broadcast, show a poll with several choices that viewers can vote on -- online or via Twitter or whatever is most appropriate. The production team would tally votes and have TP (or Dave/Jamie/Bruno/John... whoever's able to best-explain that topic), explain it. That brief segment should close by telling viewers that there are videos on the FS1 and NHRA websites that explain/show each of the topics. And the website should offer a feedback mechanism that would allow viewers to comment and suggest topics that weren't offered in the poll,...

BTW, PJ, I agree with your teenager about the holeshot "explanation"!

I may have missed it as I was multitasking while I watched the recording last night but it seemed to me that they rarely mentioned lane choice or lane conditions etc. Maybe that will show up more at a track with one really good/bad lane but it seemed to me that they left this aspect out of the broadcast.

There are some fundamentals that need to be ironed out -- starting with timing/winner graphics as already mentioned above.

After that's taken care of, let the viewers decide what drag racing topics they want to hear about! Early in the broadcast, show a poll with several choices that viewers can vote on -- online or via Twitter or whatever is most appropriate. The production team would tally votes and have TP (or Dave/Jamie/Bruno/John... whoever's able to best-explain that topic), explain it. That brief segment should close by telling viewers that there are videos on the FS1 and NHRA websites that explain/show each of the topics. And the website should offer a feedback mechanism that would allow viewers to comment and suggest topics that weren't offered in the poll,...

BTW, PJ, I agree with your teenager about the holeshot "explanation"!

Interesting Idea, Jeff! The interactive approach would play very well with the younger viewers. I'm seeing more of that approach several different places. WWE does it quite often via their app (yes, I watch wrestling...) and love wrestling or hate it, Vince and company know how to get and keep an audience by staying current. Good Idea!

Tony Pedregon made a few mistakes on his first telecast, but doesn't anyone remember how ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE Mike Dunn was at first? Every other damn word he said was BASICALLY, BASICICALLY, over and over! It was really aggravating. He really improved and was really good as time went on. I remember him as a kid and throughout his career. His knowledge of all the classes was second to none. The only word he overused word he used later was OBVIOUSLY. I can't help being sensitive to announcers as I don't go to as many races as I used to, but I think Tony P. will get better as time goes on. As much as he loved to race, I'll bet he is relieved to not have to struggle to get enough money to stay out there. Good luck Tony, and Good Luck to Mike and the IHRA!

All I know is that it started on time and wasn't delayed due to coverage of children's softball, midget wrestling, women's backgammon, priests picking out socks, or thirty minutes of live footage from a salt water aquarium in Idaho. When I turned it on and heard fuel motors popping it's amazing what I can get beyond.

Now, drink two Cadillac Margaritas and go watch it again. I think these guys actually want to break some new ground and they are gonna stub their toe on stuff that don't work. Stub away. If you stub on time and don't make me shake my fists to the heavens when I get home and my DVR recorded three hours of dogs wearing hats close up with a wide angle lens...Namaste to you Fox Sports.

All I know is that it started on time and wasn't delayed due to coverage of children's softball, midget wrestling, women's backgammon, priests picking out socks, or thirty minutes of live footage from a salt water aquarium in Idaho. When I turned it on and heard fuel motors popping it's amazing what I can get beyond.

Now, drink two Cadillac Margaritas and go watch it again. I think these guys actually want to break some new ground and they are gonna stub their toe on stuff that don't work. Stub away. If you stub on time and don't make me shake my fists to the heavens when I get home and my DVR recorded three hours of dogs wearing hats close up with a wide angle lens...Namaste to you Fox Sports.
A @Mike Henkelman sighting :D How the heck have you been Mike? Your last post was in 2012. Glad to see you here again. Welcome :D

Maybe I was a bit critical in my assessment, but it's not like the production didn't have a baseline to work from. Take what the old show did, refine what you thought they did wrong and that's your starting point. It seemed as though they tried to reinvent the wheel.

The comp plus article above mentioned talking easier for all the new viewers.

Any idea what they numbers were for this Winternationals vs past ones.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back