Fastest MPH for a Rat Motor (1 Viewer)

The names are interesting. Mouse motor for SB and Rat for BB. 392 Chrysler Hemi is a "whale motor" (from early 1950's - 1959), and the 426 Chrysler ("late model" as in 1964) is called an "Elephant motor". Ford had a 429" engine called the "Shotgun motor" and the 427 OHC motor, The Cammer, and the Cleveland 351 canted valve SB engine. Oldsmobile Rocket, GMC 6 Jimmy, and about 5000 others that I can't remember. :) OK 10 points if you remember the Ardun and who designed it.

The names are interesting. Mouse motor for SB and Rat for BB. 392 Chrysler Hemi is a "whale motor" (from early 1950's - 1959), and the 426 Chrysler ("late model" as in 1964) is called an "Elephant motor". Ford had a 429" engine called the "Shotgun motor" and the 427 OHC motor, The Cammer, and the Cleveland 351 canted valve SB engine. Oldsmobile Rocket, GMC 6 Jimmy, and about 5000 others that I can't remember. :) OK 10 points if you remember the Ardun and who designed it.
That would be Zora Duntov himself which used the first 2 letters of his middle name as well as the first 3 of his last name to call his OHV valve conversion an Ardun which was not originally for racing but to get more power from the cubic inches for a tax break. And - the Chevy 6 cyl's were called "Stove Bolts" because they actually used a stove bolt in the plate on the front of the "MOTOR" to fasten the timing cover to.

Back in '97 we ran 255.97 when I was tuning the Rydin Decal TAD. It was an AJ 481X which is basically a big block Chevy. Does that count? 🤪

YEP! That was a good car. Saw them in Phoenix a time or two. I seem to remember someone on that team telling me that they thought the alky cars had enough power to run a 2 speed tranny instead of a 3 speed.

I stand corrected. From Draglist

1/4 Mile ET:5.685 at Unknown 1/4 Mile MPH:239.36 at Unknown

Still a marvel of efficiency and great thinking by Santos and his dad. Loved watching the car run at Pomona.

And what about the Aries 640.
I know it was a popular boat motor. But don't recall anything much on land

The Arias Hemi (rat motor w/ hemi heads) actually ran with a few cars on nitro, & could run the same numbers as the Chrysler. There are alky cars today, TA/FC I think, that are running this engine & doing very well. Think the engine is called the Fontana now.

The Arias Hemi (rat motor w/ hemi heads) actually ran with a few cars on nitro, & could run the same numbers as the Chrysler. There are alky cars today, TA/FC I think, that are running this engine & doing very well. Think the engine is called the Fontana now.

You will find several of those nitro burning Arias combos running in the land speed arena.

You will find several of those nitro burning Arias combos running in the land speed arena.
The Horner Bros. is a true chevy type motor unlike our olds- arias-or any other type of motor-----true rat head design and all-very impressive and true bucks down

The Horner Bros. is a true chevy type motor unlike our olds- arias-or any other type of motor-----true rat head design and all-very impressive and true bucks down
Yep. What was the best your hybrid rat motor (olds) ran Mike? I should know this but I don’t.

Hey Mike, where does David Weber fit into this discussion? He ran a 5.496 @ 261.42 at Joliet in 2008. The engine is listed as "Powered by Supercharged Alcohol 468 Alan Johnson Chevrolet with 3 speed manual transmission" on Bill Pratt's Draglist. Draglist.com

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back