Excitement Gone! (1 Viewer)

I have been to more nationals than I can count, but always booked just Friday and Saturday, because it was more bang for the buck and the excitement and underdog nature of the nonqualifier trying to get in.
But now with NHRA barely having full fields, all of that is simply gone. I cant even watch qualifying anymore...its pathetic! Im sure Im not the only one that feels this way and Im also sure the NHRA could care less that A 35+ year fan and racer doesnt want to spend his $$$ for a family of 4 to goto their races anymore.

Really friggin sad

Pete's right.....It's all over!

Last edited:
I am in shock after taking look at the car counts for the upcoming E-Town event.

Jim Hill

I've said it many times, nothing in this world is the same as it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. The one constant however, is I'm still a drag racing junkie, can't get the needle out. Rather than complain about the state of affairs, I'm trying to enjoy today's racing, and hope to race myself at some point again. I'm heading to Englishtown tomorrow, and am really looking forward to it. I'm also going to Indy for the 60th US Nationals, and we've got some newbies coming who are stoked! In between, I'll support my local tracks through the summer. There's a lot out there to enjoy guys, if you don't get caught up in "how it used to be"...

While I've always attended multiple days at National events, nothing gives me goose bumps like the trailing notes of the national anthem on Sunday. Now it's racing, no second chances, no go back and try something else. You lose, your on the trailer. If I could only attend 1 day of a National event it would be Sunday.
I am in shock after taking look at the car counts for the upcoming E-Town event.

Jim Hill

the 3 race swing really hurts the car count. Usually there is a break in between Topeka and E-Town.

The conditions this weekend I will be stunned if no one runs a 40. We should be out of "bizarro world" This weekend.[/QUOTE]
I'm with you RM. If the weatherman comes thru, and with proper track prep, we will see .40's

I've said it many times, nothing in this world is the same as it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. The one constant however, is I'm still a drag racing junkie, can't get the needle out. Rather than complain about the state of affairs, I'm trying to enjoy today's racing, and hope to race myself at some point again. I'm heading to Englishtown tomorrow, and am really looking forward to it. I'm also going to Indy for the 60th US Nationals, and we've got some newbies coming who are stoked! In between, I'll support my local tracks through the summer. There's a lot out there to enjoy guys, if you don't get caught up in "how it used to be"...

Bravo! Standing ovation. Be sure to say hi at Indy.

I'll be at Indy this year as well, so it sounds like there needs to be a "beer get together" one evening!

We get to the Campground Thursday afternoon and leave Tuesday morning ... We have beer get togethers morning, noon, night and very late night. Allegedly.

It is usually why I miss the Mater meetings LOL.

We get to the Campground Thursday afternoon and leave Tuesday morning ... We have beer get togethers morning, noon, night and very late night. Allegedly.

It is usually why I miss the Mater meetings LOL.

I arrive on Saturday night and leave on Tuesday morning, so I need to get a map to the campground parking place, LOL!!

I only went to Epping last year and they had a total of 16 TF and 17 FC's. I know its tough for teams to stay on tour and I respect that. But like it was said, "qualifying has turned into test and tune sessions".
Should've hit some other races...top fuel was really tough last season, we attended 12 races last season and there was 19 to 25 cars at each race.

My sediments exactly, that ties into my problem with some on the Nostalgia side. Nobody forces anyone to attend an NHRA event, yet it seems some have a gun to their heads! I would love to see 20-24 cars in every class, and usually at Indy and Vegas 2 that is the case. Yet some feel the need to come in here and tell all of us how Shitty Drag racing is in 2014!

I try to attend two or three national events per yeah. This year we went to Las Vegas in March, we'll go to Epping next month and hopefully Maple Grove in October. We always attend Friday through Sunday, I couldn't imagine not being there Sunday for eliminations. Yeah, it's not like the old days(late 60's early 70's) when you could go see a Funny Car field of 64 at Epping, for the Funny Car Nationals. But I still need my Nitro fix.

I try to attend two or three national events per yeah. This year we went to Las Vegas in March, we'll go to Epping next month and hopefully Maple Grove in October. We always attend Friday through Sunday, I couldn't imagine not being there Sunday for eliminations. Yeah, it's not like the old days(late 60's early 70's) when you could go see a Funny Car field of 64 at Epping, for the Funny Car Nationals. But I still need my Nitro fix.
I was cleaning out some cabinets in the shop yesterday, and i found a program guide from the second Nhra National Championship event on Aug 31 to Sept 3 1956 at Kansas City. I was only 6 months old at the the time, so the only names i recognized was Arfons and Chrisman. But, it was pretty cool reading it and looking at some of the mph numbers.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, but I still go to national events that are fairly close. It's a well guarded secret, but there's more to drag racing than just the pro classes. Sportsman racing is great - competition is still alive there, especially in Stock, SS, Competition, TS & TD. But as others have said, nostalgia racing will get your blood pumping and nitro fix at the same time.

I love most of the sportsman classes, except the ones that use those foolish delay boxes. Drives me crazy watching them leave the line and then the rpms drop off, then they gun it again. I usually have ten or so people with me and most, don't want to bother watching anything other than Pro Mods on up including the alcohol cars.

I haven't been to a drag race in 10 years, but I still stop by the Mater.
1,000' racing, Force and DSR nepotism, the lack of old school independents that gave everyone a reason to root for the underdog kind of took away the lure from me.
I honestly do not see a future, and do not plan on attending any NHRA races unless my friends kidnap me.
It's not entirely the NHRA's fault, although they did pour the cement for their own shoes.
The lack of automotive interest from the younger generation is not there anymore. It kind of passed them by, and might not ever return.

Last Sunday I stopped in at Quaker City, to see the Great Lakes Nostalgia Funny Cars run. It was entertaining and
brought back lots of memories. They also had some kind of Manual Transmission class running.
The biggest thing I noticed was, it looked like several Nursing Homes had a joint Field Trip. LOL
There was more of us there with white hair or no hair than the 30 and younger crowd.
I did this after going to Norwalk the Sunday before to the Lucas Div. 3 points meet.
Comparing the two? I had more fun at Quaker City.

Outstanding race..no crash nobody off the end nobody touched the wall. One small oil down, couple of cones
Hit, that's it. Great show lots of nostalgia F/Cs FEDs AA/FDs gassers all for $20.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back