Ever see a TF car get beat by it's own motor? (1 Viewer)

I was sitting straight above Doug's car when it blew, maybe 10-20 rows up. All I can say is, wow. Never forget that. Small pieces rained down on us.

image.jpg

Mark Oswalds boomer from 1990 in Dallas has to be one of the bigger funny car ones of all time

Absolutely. Oswald and Dunn are the 2 biggest I can remember for FC. There is a shot from behind that shows the fireball right when it went off, and almost the size of the scoreboard. I want to say Al Hofmann was next to him and had shut it off- also in the picture. I'll see if I can find it.

Oswald and Dallas didn't get along too good. Just a few years later in 92 he rode out another wild one in the Petosa Brothers car.

Last edited:
keep it going guys - I love this discussion!

being a car restorer, I always wanted a handful of confetti if our car wins the Pebble Beach Concours.....but I am willing to accept any nitro motor shrapnel that followed ya home:D

Oswald and Dallas didn't get along too good. Just a few years later in 92 he rode out another wild one in the Petosa Brothers car.

Isn't that the one where the body was blown off of the car, but because his helmet's visor was covered with oil, he didn't know that, and you could see him reaching up trying to open up the now non-existant escape hatch?

Back in the 60s at Indy and a few other races everyone had their motors set on kill trying to qualify. If you stood down near the finish line it rained parts from the explosions. You took everything you had with you and if you came home with any parts left it was usually because you didn't qualify.

Back in the 60s at Indy and a few other races everyone had their motors set on kill trying to qualify. If you stood down near the finish line it rained parts from the explosions. You took everything you had with you and if you came home with any parts left it was usually because you didn't qualify.

We had parts raining down on us at Indy in 2013 from Beckman's explosion in the Traxxas Shootout finals. (me and my Dad we standing on the pit side fence as far down as you could)

There was a reason the NHRA always made the Birkey Bunch car run last in a session. Their fireball at the (I believe) 1987 Finals at Pomona was epic. The concussion took a few moments to get to me and my buddy at the 1000' foot mark.

I was always in one of the top three rows at 1000' so we were really close to each other that day. I am rather sure it's the weekend where it rained and rained and rained and the pits were flooded with almost a foot of running water because that was the day I dragged my sister along with me. The clouds parted and they actually ran some cars later. With the rain, and the huge explosion, she said "I don't think I'll be coming again". But yeah, that's the boomer I immediately thought of when I read the posting. Something about the fuel pooling in the intake due to something they were trying if I remember, so Bobby Neil rolled into the throttle for the burnout and KABOOM. It's still the loudest engine failure I've ever heard. And I'm rather sure Arnold Birky wasn't the one they were worried about every run. Arley Langlo's Zip Code I think is who you are thinking of.

Isn't that the one where the body was blown off of the car, but because his helmet's visor was covered with oil, he didn't know that, and you could see him reaching up trying to open up the now non-existant escape hatch?
That was the first one with the Motorcraft car.

The one with the Petosa Brothers car was racing Cruz Pedregon. He had a nose on him and right before the first light it blew up and caught fire pretty bad. It ran into the left wall in a ball of fire, but that dislodged the body somewhat. He went across and hit the other wall and the body finally came off and sent Mark out of the fire thankfully.

Birky Bunch KaBoomer at Pomona. I think I remember one of the Diamond P folks saying a part came down on a car driving along Fairplex Dr.

And shortly thereafter...they had posters for sale. Arnold Birky, Ray Strasser, Bobby Neal at Fremont I believe.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back