Events that Matter in NHRA's Mindset (1 Viewer)

NYNitro86

Nitro Member
I'd figured I'd ask about what events are the ones that Matter in NHRA's mindset, not solely in Historical, but what works for them & ESPN and all that. If you can rank them kudos to you, I'll rank first

1. Indy
2. Charlotte 4 Wide
3. Pomona (both events) (3rd only because it's near home base)
4. Las Vegas (Both Events)
5. Gainesville
6. Chicago
7. Norwalk
8. Bristol
9. Charlotte (Fall)
10. Reading
11. Sonoma
12. Topeka
13. E-Town (should Clearly be in top 10 but it isn't, almost losing it's "Majors" feel)
14. Denver
15. Dallas
16. St Louis
17. Houston
18. Phoenix
19. Atlanta
20. Seattle
21. Brainerd

Last edited:
I'd figured I'd ask about what events are the ones that Matter in NHRA's mindset, not solely in Historical, but what works for them & ESPN and all that. If you can rank them kudos to you, I'll rank first

1. Indy
2. Charlotte 4 Wide
5. Gainesville
6. Chicago
7. Norwalk
8. Bristol
9. Charlotte (Fall)
10. Reading
11. Sonoma
12. Topeka
13. E-Town (should Clearly be in top 10 but it isn't, almost losing it's "Majors" feel)
14. Denver
15. Dallas
16. St Louis
17. Houston
18. Phoenix
19. Seattle
20. Brainerd

My Mind Set...

1. Indy
2. Gainesville
3. Winternationls Note: Did Not Say Pomona
4. World Finals Note: Did Not Say Pomona
5. E-Town
6. Charlotte Fall
7: Shake-n-bake every thing else
4 Wide a non-points race

In NHRA's, Any Smith Track, any NHRA owned Track

d'kid

Last edited:

1. Indy
2. Charlotte 4 Wide
5. Gainesville
6. Chicago
7. Norwalk
8. Bristol
9. Charlotte (Fall)
10. Reading
11. Sonoma
12. Topeka
14. Denver
15. Dallas
16. St Louis
17. Houston
18. Phoenix
19. Seattle
20. Brainerd

I would dare to put maybe 4-wide even above Indy. Unfortunately when you don't think about the history (and target market for NHRA don't know much of history) It's just a race with 5 qualifying rounds ran on a monday. The NHRA seems to be sold on milking every dollar they can outta the 4-wide deal.

Lol Atlanta didn't even make the list.

oops I knew i forgot one, it's in now.

The Truth is Atlanta, Brainerd and E-Town are all insignificant, why. This season those 3 events are committing suicide by Running against NASCAR weekends that are in the same market.

Atlanta ran the same weekend as Talladega
Brainerd will run the same weekend as Michigan
E-Town runs the same weekend as Dover

shows how Much NHRA Cares about those events. Plus E-Town still has a "stink" from 2 of the last 4 years...

I want E-Town to mean more, but the truth is it's falling more and more out of favor (wait til Epping finally can hold national events). how soon til NHRA cans RP so now they have to go full on Feld which only benefits in being able to book Feld/Monster Jam owned trucks for thrill shows?

I don't want to see it happen, I just want to see the respect of the event being what it once was, not be demoted from "Major" to "Just another event" even though that probably happened when the race was moved to May from July and Lost it's SummerNationals name. I hope it re-surges, for starters it has a Sponsor (Toyota) that was announced way in advance unlike prior years. Hopefully that stays, then the prestige of the event can be rebuilt.

This year there's no Alky Cars, I hope there's jet cars fri night, as well as a "REAL" night session so we can get great performance (especially if it's primo conditions). 20 years of going to this event, do me proud PLEASE!!

I'm ranting again....

The Truth is Atlanta, Brainerd and E-Town are all insignificant, why. This season those 3 events are committing suicide by Running against NASCAR weekends that are in the same market.

I wouldn't say Brainerd and Michigan are in the same market. If people who live in Michigan wanted to attend an NHRA race, I could think of 3 or 4 tracks that are closer than Brainerd.

I wouldn't say Brainerd and Michigan are in the same market. If people who live in Michigan wanted to attend an NHRA race, I could think of 3 or 4 tracks that are closer than Brainerd.

Agreed.. unless the build a bridge across Lake Michigan it's one heck of a haul!

oops I knew i forgot one, it's in now.

Atlanta ran the same weekend as Talladega
E-Town runs the same weekend as Dover

shows how Much NHRA Cares about those events. Plus E-Town still has a "stink" from 2 of the last 4 years...

I want E-Town to mean more, but the truth is it's falling more and more out of favor (wait til Epping finally can hold national events). how soon til NHRA cans RP so now they have to go full on Feld which only benefits in being able to book Feld/Monster Jam owned trucks for thrill shows?

I don't want to see it happen, I just want to see the respect of the event being what it once was, not be demoted from "Major" to "Just another event" even though that probably happened when the race was moved to May from July and Lost it's SummerNationals name. I hope it re-surges, for starters it has a Sponsor (Toyota) that was announced way in advance unlike prior years. Hopefully that stays, then the prestige of the event can be rebuilt.

This year there's no Alky Cars, I hope there's jet cars fri night, as well as a "REAL" night session so we can get great performance (especially if it's primo conditions). 20 years of going to this event, do me proud PLEASE!!

I'm ranting again....

It is a shame considering E-Town will forever have a place in NHRA history. Just off the top of my head...
1976? - Jungle Jim wins his only NHRA funny car national event.
1986 - Big Daddy suffers the first blowover
1990 - Chuck Etchells picks up his first career funny car win.
1991 - Tom McEwen wins his final top fuel race late into the night driving for Jack Clark and Budweiser picks up the Pro Stock Challenge and moves it to Englishtown.
1992 - 300mph! Only the second time in history it has ever been done. The King of Speed lays a monster saturday night run.
1993 - Warren and Kurt Johnson stage the 2nd ever father son pro stock final. John Force becomes the third funny car driver to win 5 in a row. Rance McDaniel makes his first? career final, only to have the reverser break and give Kenny Bernstein the win.
1994 - Pro stock history is made by Kurt Johnson... 6.98! Can it get better? Michael Brotherton runs an astonishing 4.69! Gary Bolger makes his first ever funny car final for the independent Dale Creasy Tyrant team and has the throttle cable break on the line. Pat Austin stops Don Prudhomme gunning for a win in his final E-town race during the Final Strike tour.
1995 - Larry Dixon sets low et of the world at 4.66, and Al Hofmann runs 306mph in a funny car! All in the magical night qualifying session. Bob Glidden wins his 85th and final pro stock race. First race after the infamous dodge boys break in.
1996 - Bob Glidden wins the DuPont Pro Stock Challenge, his last win of any kind to date as a driver.
1997 - Darrell Alderman makes an emotional return to victory lane 2 years after the Wayne County break in with a new Team Mopar headed by Dale Eicke. Kenji Okazaki becomes the first Japanese national to win in funny car and Cristen Powell scores an unlikely top fuel win. (Youngest ever? I forget)
1998 - Night time qualifying and the fastest speed ever is recorded! 323mph! But wait.. it's in a funny car! John Force betters the feat in the final round leaving with a 323.89mph speed record.
2000 - Terrible weather pushes the event to September and Cruz Pedregon picks up his first win in over 2 years.
2003 - Brandon Bernstein breaks his back in a hard crash, pulling father Kenny back out of retirement.
2004 - Greg Anderson heads into the 6.60's in Pro Stock during the Dominator Duel (or whatever it was called then)
2008 - It is definitely a lowlight but Scott Kalitta makes his final quarter mile run here, it's also a run that changes the face of NHRA history causing the track to drop to 1,000 feet.

Obvioulsy I remember the 90s more than anything, but there were plenty of moments in the 70's, 80's and 00's. Either way Raceway Park SHOULD be higher on the list and should NOT lose a race date.

Last edited:

But it's still rather close, it's like Dover and Englishtown, they're both in the same ballpark. and you'd think NHRA would make E-Town matter more because it's just outside the Big Apple, but this (putting it in the same weekend as Dover) says "They Don't." it's like "pfft So what a couple NHRA guys ring the bell at Wall Street, everybody gets to ring the bell at Wall Street nowadays" There's a fading importance that The Second Formula 1 runs their event in NJ, E-Town will become a distant memory (makes me even wish NASCAR holds a Cup Race at NJMP).

I think Boston would get more pub from NHRA year after year the second Epping runs a National Event.

shows how Much NHRA Cares about those events. .

As Brian has been pointing out, it just goes to show you don't know anything about the Brainerd event.

(wait til Epping finally can hold national events).

Hotel accommodations are just not there in the Epping area. People will have to travel from the Boston area (~1hour away) or the Manchester, NH area (~30 minutes away). Not sure how much of a pain it will be for teams and out-of-area spectators.

But it's still rather close, it's like Dover and Englishtown, they're both in the same ballpark. and you'd think NHRA would make E-Town matter more because it's just outside the Big Apple, but this (putting it in the same weekend as Dover) says "They Don't." it's like "pfft So what a couple NHRA guys ring the bell at Wall Street, everybody gets to ring the bell at Wall Street nowadays" There's a fading importance that The Second Formula 1 runs their event in NJ, E-Town will become a distant memory (makes me even wish NASCAR holds a Cup Race at NJMP).

I think Boston would get more pub from NHRA year after year the second Epping runs a National Event.

It's a 13+ hour drive from Brooklyn, MI to Brainerd, MN.

When NHRA makes their schedule should they make a minimum 18 hour driving distance and 2 months from other racing events in the area? Some things are out of NHRA's control.

I would dare to put maybe 4-wide even above Indy. Unfortunately when you don't think about the history (and target market for NHRA don't know much of history) It's just a race with 5 qualifying rounds ran on a monday. The NHRA seems to be sold on milking every dollar they can outta the 4-wide deal.

opinion begin:

Since we're listing in order of importance through "their" eyes, it's simple, whichever event makes the most money for both parties....

The NASCAR envy rules.....NASCAR tie-in 4-wide is Bruton, NASCAR tie-in is anytime a NASCAR driver stands on the starting line....they usually get more airtime than an actual drag racing competitor....

So their list looks like this

1) Biggest money-maker
2) 4-wide
3) Any race where a NASCAR driver attends, or a stick and ball star attends
4) Everything else

The trend in marketing has been, regardless of the usefulness/entertainment value of a product, you campaign your product for two, perhaps three years, solidly beating the consumer over the head with the product until they capitulate....it works in this country, just look at things like dragon voice recognition, any and all ineffectual vitamin supplement, NASCAR.....the list goes on and on....you tell consumers enough times this is what they should love, they will eventually give up and love it....resistance is futile....most folks that aren't into racing are conditioned to think of NASCAR when the subject comes up....it's everywhere, every channel....

Same with 4-wide....everyone loves this, you will love this, do you understand me? I repeat, everyone loves this, you will love this....(that cycle continues)

Ugh.....my level of vitriol in respect to this subject can't be measured accurately with modern measurement devices...

the list I wish they would rank

1) USnationals
2) any of the original season nationals (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall)
3) any race with substantial history, let's say, any venue/race that's hosted at least 20 national events (I'm tired of them building new tracks when they should have invested in remodels of existing historic tracks)

my wish....I wish they would drop the sponsors from the names of stadiums, tracks, and races....just seems a bit whoreish to me...like someone that waits till everyone leaves the table and takes most of the tip for themselves.....I need a shower, I just entered Walmart/Sam's Club/pomona Fairplex Raceway hosting the 53rd annual Whisker-Getter line of home trichology products for ladies Winternationals....yes, celebrating it's 53rd year....lucky us.....

opinion end:

Last edited:
each event is it's own business model - if it works over the course of time
and the parties involved make money, the race stays; if they don't, the race
goes away......(and facility upgrades are up to date)
IMO some of newest facilities and the oldest draw equal numbers of
participants and fans; whichever facility has lower operating expenses
stands to profit more.

about the brainerd race; keep hearing over the years how the local hotel
industry soaks the participants with inflated rates; this is unfortunate.
does this happen anywhere else?

local hotel

I am sure most everywhere....every event, from the stick and ball events to the westminster dog show....anytime supply and demand are unequal, the prices change....price gouging....I think the only time it's illegal is during a declared emergency....and in some states (but seldom prosecuted....those industries have lobbyists)

about the brainerd race; keep hearing over the years how the local hotel

Gainesville is really bad, Atlanta, Englishtown, Reading, any place where there isn't a lot of options.

Gainesville is really bad, Atlanta, Englishtown, Reading, any place where there isn't a lot of options.

Gainesville I heard is bad, but I know from E-Town and Reading being my 2 hometown's E-Town is pretty awful at the hotel thing unless you wanna stay 20-30 mins south like i have. Reading is cruel. So hard to get there cause it's almost secluded and either have good money for a hotel or make the 3 hour trip home after a day at the track.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back