Ethanol fuel affecting performance? (1 Viewer)

badger

Nitro Member
This is a question for those of you who are familiar with engine/fuel performance in regard to the use of ethanol fuel. My vehicle (daily driver) 2002 Ford C-Vict with 4.6 Liter FI has recently (past 3 months) developed engine idling issues.

Mechanics that service our vehicles have provided information regarding the effects of ethanol (10% blend) that allegedly gum up fuel injectors, valves and valve train. BTW their service station does not use any ethanol in their gasoline because they would be charged additional fees to cleanse their tanks before allowing the sale of ethanol blended gas.

Just wanting to know if this ethanol deal is the cause and should I be worried, considering that some gas stations, are not advertising the ethanol blend when we fill up?

I don't recall ever having idling/performance issues until this ethanol blend became available at the pump!

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Tom.

All I can tell you is I have a 98 Ford Ranger that has over 210,000 miles and it is all the original fuel system except for filters. The only thing ever to go in the tank is 10% fuel. Works just fine.

Got a bad feeling about this info from the station. I would do some internet snooping.

jim

A bad batch of fuel - any fuel - can foul the injectors to the point where they need to be cleaned - I'd try one of the in-tank additives first, then have a reliable mechanic evaluate the situation.

Not to point a finger, but I'd be a little suspicious of a gas station whose tanks are not fit for an ethanol-mix fuel. And their advice doesn't sound rught to me - the only problems I have heard were with seals and gaskets on some older cars - anything new enough to have fuel injection should be able to handle them with no problem as long as the fuel is not contaminated. Water can cause a jelly-like "snot" in pure methanol, but I don't know if it has the same effect on the gasoline blends.

My advice - change gas stations, try a fuel injector cleaner, then find a good mechanic if the problem does not clear up in a couple tanks of fuel.

If I were you, I might look at other things than the fuel system. Its not unusual for the 4.6 motors to start running rough due to ignition coil problems. There are boots between the plgs and coils that deteriorate as well as bad ignition coils that cause light misfires. These problems are not uncommon on Crown Vic police cruisers starting at about 90,000 miles.

Last edited:
This is a question for those of you who are familiar with engine/fuel performance...

I don't recall ever having idling/performance issues until this ethanol blend became available at the pump!

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Tom.

I have run E-10 in my 2001 Malibu and 2006 Colorado since day 1 and have experienced "0" fuel related problems (knock wood).

EDB

Thanks Jim, Larry, Charles and Eric. I will certainly heed the helpful advice provided by all. BTW I have changed fueling stations and have not experienced any recent idling issues.

I also changed the fuel filter and followed the injector cleaner advice.

So far so good.

Thanks for the input.

Tom.

I would reccomed using some LUCAS Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Injector Cleaner. It's the best I've ever used and gave me about 10% better mileage !!
And I don't usually see any difference using other brands Good or bad.

One more thought here...

If you choose to run an ethanol mix fuel always run it.

The reason is chemistry, water and gasoline do not mix, the water is heavier and settles to the very bottom of the tank. Most car manufacturers know this and place the tank inlet a tad bit off the floor of the tank. When you switch to an ethanol based fuel the alcohol will chemically bond with the water and clean your fuel system. If there is alot of water your car will run sluggish for the first tank or 2.

EDB

Thanks Jim, Larry, Charles and Eric. I will certainly heed the helpful advice provided by all. BTW I have changed fueling stations and have not experienced any recent idling issues.

I also changed the fuel filter and followed the injector cleaner advice.

So far so good.

Thanks for the input.

Tom.

Sorry for coming in late, but I just noticed this thread.

All of the previous posters are correct in their assessments, but in my experience that doesn't mean there can't be a problem. Alcohols are very effective solvents.

I once was service manager for a couple of auto repair shops and a motorcycle dealer. I did see contamination from time to time. From what I can tell, adding gasohol to a system that has run on normal blends can cause problems with the fuel filter and any small passages. In addition, I remember seeing some reports stating that the refineries were not too good at controlling the ethanol percentage, as it varied quite a bit when tested at the pump.

Unless you've always filled your tank at a station with exceptional cleanliness standards, a certain amount of gunk has found its way into your fuel system. You only have to notice the brown stains around the tank and its fittings. In my experience, blends will dissolve these materials and introduce them into the system.

So, those who are saying they've run gasohol from day one wouldn't have seen a problem since the solvent action has always been there and the deposits never formed.

Just another opinion. All I'm saying is that if you're going to switch over, don't be surprised at more frequent filter changes and/or injector flushes until the system cleans up.

Thanks for the input Dan. Unfortunately where I live the 10% ethanol mix is being forced down the consumers throat so to speak.

Some stations that were not previously running the ethanol mix have switched and never bothered to tell the consumer. The pumps were not posted as having 10% and as a result I believe that is where the problem started.

As you stated, "the solvent chemistry" has surfaced and as a result, the injector cleaner and fuel filter changes have been implemented.

So far so good.

Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts on this post.

Tom.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back