Englishtown (1 Viewer)

San Fernando was always on a 30 days to quit situation. Having gone off the end into the rocks more than once and helping clean up two fatalities it was lucky to have lasted that long. When I got sued for throttle getting stuck on push down road and running into the two front cars that were lined up behind the starting line to run after the T/F - T/G cars we found out that San Fernando's insurance was basically a joke. Fortunately NHRA's lawyer Bob Gotlieb (Fernando was not affiliated with NHRA) helped us out and we survived it. If you remember right we could not even warm up before 12:00 - got 1 qualifier - and had to finish by 3:00 with the lower classes running "Corked Up" before and after that. We ran there a lot - won a lot and liked it but it was never much of a facility. The times got too fast for the facility anyway and there was not enough room for spectators anyway. Harry kept it on life support as long as possible, but Hanna pulled the plug out of nowhere.

The group that run the NHRA can be hard to work with and if the story about Englishtown and the NHRA offering less money to the track is true I can understand their reasioning for ending Englishtown.

I know their are many vendors who also decided they no longer wanted to be part of the NHRA because of the fees and royalties that wanted from vendors.
The midway no longer looks the way it did years ago because of greed!

Just my opinion Jim Hill

Great information here, thanks to those who know that took placd for taking the time to post, Are the thousands of cars that were supposed to be stored there actually on the property ? If so, where?

San Fernando was always on a 30 days to quit situation. Having gone off the end into the rocks more than once and helping clean up two fatalities it was lucky to have lasted that long. When I got sued for throttle getting stuck on push down road and running into the two front cars that were lined up behind the starting line to run after the T/F - T/G cars we found out that San Fernando's insurance was basically a joke. Fortunately NHRA's lawyer Bob Gotlieb (Fernando was not affiliated with NHRA) helped us out and we survived it. If you remember right we could not even warm up before 12:00 - got 1 qualifier - and had to finish by 3:00 with the lower classes running "Corked Up" before and after that. We ran there a lot - won a lot and liked it but it was never much of a facility. The times got too fast for the facility anyway and there was not enough room for spectators anyway. Harry kept it on life support as long as possible, but Hanna pulled the plug out of nowhere.

Hi Roger. I remember you running Top Gas. You ran T/F later, right? Had a car with a Rat motor in it? I knew about Fernando not being sanctioned. No guard rails, the wash on one side. Saw a door car get loose once & headed toward the Hot Pit area & everyone scattered! The track was uphill off the starting line and downhill about the 660. Argh But, it was my home track, first track I ever went to & has a lot of memories for me. Barry Kaplan in JR/F beat Don Prudhomme in a Top Fuel race (Snake got out of shape). Never forget stuff like that. I never knew about you getting in the accident. Glad that worked out OK for you.

They're building a concert venue, first concert in mid-August.
I can't wait to do my first show in there; I have audio of a TF launch that pegs the meters, and I will GUARENTEE that my audio guy will play it LOUD just before the band comes on.

I think if you look around that neighborhood that sprouted up near Englishtown, you will probably find 60-year-old, republican voting yuppies in those McMansions. We, who love this sport, have a sad habit of doing nothing to help an endangered track and then sit whining about those evil forces once the track is dead and gone.
Republicans in New Jersey? not likely. The sleazy developers of those "McMansions" out and out lied to the people buying them, He told them the track was closing within 5 years (that was 20 years ago) A lot of the buyers were lawyers and started legal actions which resulted in the eventual demise of the place. After the Napp brothers passed on the lineup of their offspring squeezing money out of the place made running a race track something they didn't want to bother to do. They now have the money without the bother.

Sorry, you are right about Republicans in New Jersey....including that mob boss in training who shut down traffic on that bridge.

Maybe electric cars might be the answer to many of these great old drag strips closing down because of noses problems.
It would be a hard pill to swallow but if that is what it takes to save drag strips maybe it's worth a shot trying it.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

The group that run the NHRA can be hard to work with and if the story about Englishtown and the NHRA offering less money to the track is true I can understand their reasioning for ending Englishtown.

I know their are many vendors who also decided they no longer wanted to be part of the NHRA because of the fees and royalties that wanted from vendors.
The midway no longer looks the way it did years ago because of greed!

Just my opinion Jim Hill
Mac Tools stayed until they got tired of cost and said goodbye

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back