Englishtown (1 Viewer)

I grew up not too far from E-Town. Started going to match races, The Summernationals and Divisional races in the early 70's. I know they had lots of issues with suburban sprawl and noise for decades. Sad to see. Thankfully I have hundreds of slides from my visits there.

A track with a lot of history but the fact is it is way too short for todays nitro. Great for other classes, went to many races there growing up on Long Island.
When I was about 10 standing in the pits Kenny Bernstein invited me in to "mix" his fuel, something I will never forget.

at least the bleachers will end up somewhere else. sad to see that photo. always enjoyed starting line shots from englishtown with tower and trees in background.

I always thought the saddest part about the closing of E-Town's dragstrip was that it was pretty sudden and there was no last race to sort of say goodbye, it was just closed. When we thought we were losing Firebird for awhile at least we got another national event and a few smaller events as a last hurrah that thankfully wasnt a last hurrah.

Even though I never went to Englishtown o still hate to see photos of a track and a wrecking ball especially one as historic as Englishtown

This is sad, unfortunately it's not the only track it's going to happen too. It's looking like Heartland Park will be next, DHL wants property for airstrip/ industrial park and council is supporting it. The good side is theres a track being built at I70 Motosports Speedway pending a few issues with zoning. I understand construction is on going.

When I was there 2 years ago I wish I knew that was the last! My dad and I have gone to that race together for 30+ years and the memories are all that's left. Last year was the first year we went some place else, good thing Joliet is close to my house.

Went there to the summernationals for 35 plus years running as well as many other events over that time. The old track campgrounds were absolutely nuts back in the 70's and 80's. Also went to several weekend long custom vanning events at the campgrounds back then when I had mine and the stuff that went on there was...........epic. It's a shame it came to this without at least having an official "end of an era" type final national event.send off .

I am so glad that I took photos at all the tracks that I used to go to that are gone now. San Fernando, Lions, OCIR, Ontario, Irwindale, Carlsbad, LACR, all in Los Angeles area. And Speedworld in Phoenix. I can dig out my photos and see the tracks as they were. Lotsa great memories. One thing Zed mentioned was that we thought Wild Horse (then Firebird) was gonna close and Speedworld would be left, but it was the other way around. Tucson almost closed when IHRA ran it & Jim Hughes rescued it, so we still have 2 tracks to race on. I never went to any tracks "back east" but sure have enjoyed the photos & videos I've seen of those places. Thank God for You Tube.

What a shame. I wish I could’ve gone before they closed.

It really is. :( That was the track we went to before we moved down to Florida. We went there one last time in 2005. My dad first started going to the Summernationals in 1972.

Many years ago, when we were eating in a Pizza Place after a day at the track an off-duty cop told us of a different route you can take that bypasses all the traffic. The first year we took the route, it was just empty fields. The next year, there was these huge McMansions built. My dad looked at me and said, "I hope they realize what this town is famous for and don't complain about the noise."

Sure enough.... :mad:

Years later, someone told me what happened. Developers marketed these homes to yuppie families who knew nothing about the area's history and they knew that if they mentioned there was a dragstrip nearby they would lose a sale. The person who told me this said that a rule was passed that real estate agents had to mention it if the home was within a 10 mile radius of the track. By then, it was too late.

As for the homes themselves? The ones I saw where cookie cutter houses placed less than 10 feet next to each other. If I wanted to live that close to my neighbor I would just buy a townhouse.

This effected a local dragstrip here in south Florida. County Line Dragway. Owners got tired of the noise complaints and shut the place down. Now those same residents that complained about the noise are complaining about the street racing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Developers marketed these homes to yuppie families who knew nothing about the area's history and they knew that if they mentioned there was a dragstrip nearby they would lose a sale.

You seem to use the term "yuppie" a lot Sam, mostly in a disparaging way and as a generalization. I guess you have an issue with people that have a college education and a well-paying job?

You seem to use the term "yuppie" a lot Sam, mostly in a disparaging way and as a generalization. I guess you have an issue with people that have a college education and a well-paying job?

It just amazes me how people can buy a house, believe everything the salesperson tells them and do ZERO research about the area they want to move to. As a friend once told me, "Real estate agents are just used care salespeople that failed." Now to answer your question, If they have those things, good for them. But where they lose me is when they try to use said accomplishments to bully the town in catering to their every beck and call. Which is very likely what happened here.

PS.... internet chatter is that street racing is now on the rise in the area (to the surprise of no one). If I was the police chief, I would intentionally look the other way. If the residents complained I would tell them, "sorry but you wanted this by complaining about the noise until you got their track shut down. Go pound sand."

I think if you look around that neighborhood that sprouted up near Englishtown, you will probably find 60-year-old, republican voting yuppies in those McMansions. We, who love this sport, have a sad habit of doing nothing to help an endangered track and then sit whining about those evil forces once the track is dead and gone.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back