Enders / Johnson Pro Stock controversy? (1 Viewer)

Think about it a while.

Where did she just leave?
What was their worst experience so far in the Pro Stock ranks?
Where was her car left second in line for attention to another team car?
Who was she racing for while she had her worst performances? (not counting getting her feet wet in the beginning)
Why were the Enders so excited about escaping the empire?
How would they feel about the complete disregard of the track officials by the empire's golden boy?

This appears to be about ill feelings and unfair treatment for some - not about a staging battle.

I'm guessing the Enders just feel like I do about Saturday's incident and wonder how that now applies to the rest of us in the sport.

We must have been typing at the same time. Great minds think alike. :D

Just went back and re-read G.E.'s comment. He clearly made reference to A.J. The only thing I can conclude is: The NHRA official who was at the head of staging who was giving the fire up order was rushing the drivers to start their carsand pull ahead. He either forgot, didn't know or just plain didn't care about the lane choice option that the higher qualified car has. Many of the drivers/crewchiefs wait for the outcome of the run ahead of them to make their final decision. That has to be done PRIOR to pulling into the waterbox. There's not that much room to pull off a lane swap at Pomona after you start and pull around to the waterbox. Many of the drivers were waiting to start their cars. As did A.J. while Erica started and pulled ahead. I was standing right under the tower at the head of pro stock staging with many other crew members, manf. reps, and owners. All of us had a first hand view. AJ did nothing wrong. The over-the-top official was comical to watch. Too bad he didn't know his job.

Just went back and re-read G.E.'s comment. He clearly made reference to A.J. The only thing I can conclude is: The NHRA official who was at the head of staging who was giving the fire up order was rushing the drivers to start their carsand pull ahead. He either forgot, didn't know or just plain didn't care about the lane choice option that the higher qualified car has. Many of the drivers/crewchiefs wait for the outcome of the run ahead of them to make their final decision. That has to be done PRIOR to pulling into the waterbox. There's not that much room to pull off a lane swap at Pomona after you start and pull around to the waterbox. Many of the drivers were waiting to start their cars. As did A.J. while Erica started and pulled ahead. I was standing right under the tower at the head of pro stock staging with many other crew members, manf. reps, and owners. All of us had a first hand view. AJ did nothing wrong. The over-the-top official was comical to watch. Too bad he didn't know his job.

So are you saying she did not get lane choice? She was not entitled to lane choice.

Last edited:
If Larry is correct it has everything to do with Pro Stock right on down to Jr Dragster. The driver is now entitled to do whatever they want to. If Tony does not have to abide by his agreement with the NHRA why should the rest of us?

What he did is just plain wrong, and there is NO WAY THEY CAN JUSTIFY THAT!!!

I understand what you are saying completely agree with you 100%.

Maybe I should have explained myself a little better, I am curious as to how this impacted Enders Pomona performance. This is what I assumed Greg's comments to be in relation to.

I understand what you are saying completely agree with you 100%.

Maybe I should have explained myself a little better, I am curious as to how this impacted Enders Pomona performance. This is what I assumed Greg's comments to be in relation to.

That's what I would like to know. They seem to want us to read between the lines and then get pizzed when we don't understand and post something that is wrong.:confused:

If Larry is correct it has everything to do with Pro Stock right on down to Jr Dragster. The driver is now entitled to do whatever they want to. If Tony does not have to abide by his agreement with the NHRA why should the rest of us?

What he did is just plain wrong, and there is NO WAY THEY CAN JUSTIFY THAT!!!
Yeah, too bad they didn't fine them 20 points instead of the $20,000!:eek:

So are you saying she did not get lane choice? She was not entitled to lane choice.

From Paul Lavoie's post, it sounds like Enders fired the engine and pulled into the water box, while AJ sat there for a bit longer waiting for the pair ahead to finish their runs.

In other words, Enders SR's problem might be that he thought the engine was too hot in EE's car when she staged, due to being "hung out" when AJ "didn't follow the officials orders."

Guy's,

I received this e-mail from Gregg tonight explaining the situation from Sunday.

I hope this clears everything up.

Jay:
Since you are the only one I know who posts on the mater these days and I haven’t registered perhaps you would be kind enough to post my reply to the interested parties trying to figure out something that wasn’t intended to start or imply a controversy. I just wasn’t happy with how the starting line procedures were handled by the officials during our run. *
#1 The Top Fuel incident was none of my concern and certainly none of my business. *I was too busy with our own issues to second guess anyone else’s actions or inactions. I didn’t even know that DSR had the incident at that time.
#2 Here is what I said to the reporters when asked about the purpose of my conversation with Rick Stewart immediately following EE’s run. No one did anything terrible and nothing AJ did affected the outcome of the race (other than his nice light and a solid run!). *We got clipped at the starting line and got outrun on the other end. *NO issue with any of that.* We could have left the starting line just before the driver intros and still not out run the blue car…that time. J We have high hopes for next season and we have almost three months before we prove ourselves right or wrong. In the interim we will be optimistic and work as hard as we can to be one of the good new independent teams.
In a discussion with reporters and PR people about my frustration with the communications between officials at or around the starting line here is what I described,
A.)*** AJ had lane choice and earlier pairs were swapping lanes (KJ, etc.).

B.)*** The “official at the head of the staging lanes gave the fire it up instruction and we did. *AJ must have been having a problem or didn’t know he was told to get going several times. *EE shut her car off at the turn, 30 -40 feet BEFORE the water box to wait for AJ to start up and make up his mind which was his prerogative.

C.)*** When he finally made his move to the left lane EE pulled into the water to wait for the ok sign to start the burn out. *The official at the water box, in the center of the lanes held both hands up to indicate to both drivers that it was not safe to start the burn out. *AJ must not have seen the hands up sign prohibiting his burn out because he lit them up and took off. *

D.)*** He was already past the start line before the official gave EE the ok sign. *She did her burnout and while she was still backing up into her tracks AJ started moving forward to get his wheelie bars adjusted.

E.)*** *When EE started to move forward AJ lit the top bulb. *EE hadn’t even moved up just short of the pre stage to get her bars set. *Still no problem, he can stage on Thursday if he wants to, the auto start isn’t activated until 3 bulbs are lit so no one had their pants in a wad yet.

F.)*** Then while she was getting her bars adjusted the starter, Mr. Stewart rushes up to look in her windshield and aggressively gesture to her that she needs to hurry up and stage which is a questionable move on his part given the sequence of events leading up to the cause for her being 30 seconds or so behind AJ’s staging pace

G.)** AJ, I ASSUME sensed the weirdness of the whole situation and they then staged in a normal fashion with EE going in first which is his normal pattern.

H.)*** My issue was with lack of communication among the officials resulting in Rick losing his patience and asserting his authority and taking a step to influence the outcome of the race.
Bottom line, no controversy, no big deal just a frustration with a weird sequence of events that ended up in print. *No inference to the TF Alan Johnson or that incident. *
No whining about the outcome.* Just a meaningless quote that ended up in a press release. We did learn a lot about a lot of things this year and we will get better, the team is 3 races old, the driver is 22 and by the time we are the age and experience of the others we might be pretty good, God and sponsorship willing, of course. *
Have a nice off season; we will attempt to stay off the radar screens, good bad or indifferent.
Gregg Enders

I am waiting to see who is going to bash Greg for this response. He has tried to come on here and explain the situation. No doubt he will be run through the ringer for this. I probably will be, too.

I am waiting to see who is going to bash Greg for this response. He has tried to come on here and explain the situation. No doubt he will be run through the ringer for this. I probably will be, too.

Why? Shouldn't be any bashing. Greg seams like a stand up guy to me.

So that makes two starting line incidents (this and Schue/Kalitta) regarding NHRA officials and not knowing what was going on. Sounds like it's time for better communication practices involving anybody with starting line jobs (stagin lane guy, tower, Rick Stewart, etc.).

By the way, why doesn't Mr. Enders spend a buck and get registered here? :confused:

I wish more owner/drivers would post here

Sounds like Mr Enders has his team/car pointed in the proper direction--trying to get to the finish line first with driver/team/car in that order as his priorty, which is the way it should be.
NHRA needs to get their act together. Perhaps if Tony S. (depending on an appeal) pays his $20,000 fine they NHRA should invest in some radios, a communication seminar and how to treat people with respect.

Greg,

Thanks for your response. We all appreciate you taking time out of your day to clear up the issue.

On a personal note, I hope your team does very well next year. David will build great power for you, Terry will tune the car as well as anyone, and Erica will do a great job behind the wheel.

One last thing...I hope you keep the HEMI Orange color...it looks bitchin'!

I'd say that pretty well spells it out. I'd certainly like to see one of the Enders bunch register and contribute to this place. They seem like a good team and there's no doubting their dedication to the sport.

By the way, why doesn't Mr. Enders spend a buck and get registered here? :confused:

Well apparently Gregg either forgot he registered here on 7/22/06 (according to the member section here) or someone did it for him and didnt tell him. Either way, Good Luck next year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back