Edouard.... (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Nitro Member
Oh, y'all.....keep us in your thoughts. Everytime the meteorologists underestimate a Tropical Storm or Hurricane WE GET SLAMMED!

Houston area Maters! Don't we remember Hurricane Alicia in 1983 and Tropical Storm Allison in 2001?! Neither one of those were supposed to be bad at all. Hurricane Alicia quickly rose to Catagory 3 status right before it went straight up the ship channel and caused major damage. If memory serves, E and SE Houston got the worst of it.....I know cuz I was smack dab in the middle of it. And Allison? Yikes, that stupid Tropical Storm stalled and caused MAJOR flooding in Houston proper and all surrounding areas.

I hope I'm wrong and those silly weathermen and women are right, but excuse me if I'm a little gun shy.

Hopin all is well.

Although I must say you'll be fine. Now if they ever get to name a hurricane Ron, then you better watch out cuz the irony of that would just be too much;)

take care

Kelly,

I was thinking that it was going to be so cool if I could be in a hurricane on my vacation (you know, being from a landlocked state and all).

Jenn, I will try to send ya one just for you.. :p Believe me when I say if you ever sat through a bad one, that will make you want to run when the next one comes. We are going to sit this one out if we can.

Be careful guys and Gals.. Lot's of WATER and Board up those windows. Praying everything will be ok... Be Safe! And check in with us to let us all know your ok...

Timmah!

Oh, y'all.....keep us in your thoughts. Everytime the meteorologists underestimate a Tropical Storm or Hurricane WE GET SLAMMED!

Houston area Maters! Don't we remember Hurricane Alicia in 1983 and Tropical Storm Allison in 2001?! Neither one of those were supposed to be bad at all. Hurricane Alicia quickly rose to Catagory 3 status right before it went straight up the ship channel and caused major damage. If memory serves, E and SE Houston got the worst of it.....I know cuz I was smack dab in the middle of it. And Allison? Yikes, that stupid Tropical Storm stalled and caused MAJOR flooding in Houston proper and all surrounding areas.

I hope I'm wrong and those silly weathermen and women are right, but excuse me if I'm a little gun shy.

Kelly, I remember both of those! Yikes!!!!

At 9:30 this morning the WalMart by our house was all ready out of gallon jugs of water!

Everybody stay safe!!!

Jenn, I will try to send ya one just for you.. :p Believe me when I say if you ever sat through a bad one, that will make you want to run when the next one comes. We are going to sit this one out if we can.

Somebody tried to send me Dolly or whatever her name was, but she got as far as Riodoso and said forget it.

Kelly,

I was thinking that it was going to be so cool if I could be in a hurricane on my vacation (you know, being from a landlocked state and all).

Be careful what you wish for. My husband and I were in Hawaii in 1992 for only 2 days when Hurricane Iniki (sp?) hit Kuaii. Category 5 storm. We were stranded for another 3 days trying to get off the island. Very scary to listen to for 8 or 9 hrs and see the devastaion the morning after. I was very thankful that whenever we did get off the island we had a home to return to. The island looked like a war zone. The locals had nothing left, no schools, stores, anything. I hope to never go through that again.
Take care and good luck Kelly and the others in the area.
L.

Be careful what you wish for. My husband and I were in Hawaii in 1992 for only 2 days when Hurricane Iniki (sp?) hit Kuaii. Category 5 storm. We were stranded for another 3 days trying to get off the island. Very scary to listen to for 8 or 9 hrs and see the devastaion the morning after. I was very thankful that whenever we did get off the island we had a home to return to. The island looked like a war zone. The locals had nothing left, no schools, stores, anything. I hope to never go through that again.
L.

Then I'll be sure to wish for like a Catagory 2 or 3 :p;)

I'm gonna keep an optimistic mind on this one. I've got my fingers crossed that it doesn't get any worse than Humberto got. They underestimated that one as a mild tropical storm and during the night it came in as a Cat 1 Hurricane. Let me tell ya, that $hit woke me up quick...LOL! I will never forget the sound of the wind. I can only IMAGINE what a higher Cat Hurricane sounds like. YIKES!

I had to wash my truck at 5am in the morning because of all the stuff plastered on the side from Humberto would have baked on that afternoon. I believe this one is predicted to hit land during the late morning early afternoon. Let's hope the heat is minimal!

L.
OMG! My honeymoon was in Maui shortly after that. We were inundated with people that had to reschedule from Kuaii. Glad y'all made it out OK!

Kelly, I remember both of those! Yikes!!!!

At 9:30 this morning the WalMart by our house was all ready out of gallon jugs of water!

Everybody stay safe!!!
I was living in Pasadena during Alicia...that was the summer I turned 16. We were on the extreme south side. There was nothing between us and Ellington AFB but a huge field. We were the very southmost street in the subdivision. There was nothing to block the winds and rain when that thing came up the 45S corridor. It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my life. Our neighbors had to come over in the middle because their roof blew off and their 2nd story was collapsing on the 1st floor. Not to mention the tornadoes we saw and heard and the tail end....unreal!

Just keep your heads down and play it safe Darlings...
Get your 'to go' kit together, and if they say go.... GET...

hoping for the best for y'all...

d'kid

and before anyone asks... rode out a bunch of cat 3's and several cat 4 storms in my younger years... 4 years in the pacific and indian oceans not like ya could miss one or two a year minimum...

d'kid

K....Dr. Neil Frank (I'm not worthy!) says there's no way this will turn into an Alicia type situation. That's good enough for me..... :)

Things like this make me think dealing with freezing winters here isn't all that bad. Wait a minute, did I really just say that???

Thinking about you and everyone else down there and hoping for the best, Kel.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back