DW mentions drag racing (1 Viewer)

Travo

Nitro Member
Heard DW during the NASCAR race today mention Roberts fire, he messed up and said Eric Medlen at first but corected himself. They were talking about 20 ppl working on Tony Stewerts car and he said he had never seen anything like what he seen with roberts car, he was excited (as most know how DW gets) said there must have been 50 ppl and in 75 mins they took a burnt car and rebuilt it. just thought it was cool to hear drag racing on nascar coverage and thought i would pass it along, as soon as the curing process is done at bristol illl post some pics.

TRAVO!!!

I personally think the NASCAR boys share the love quite well. They've mentioned drag racing often and I was especially surprised to see how they handled "Ricky Bobby" Will Ferrell's spoof at NASCAR with his movie "Talladega Nights." Instead of ignoring it, they bring him into the booth and invite him to races where they all have a good laugh at themselves. That's pretty commendable in my eyes.

Instead of ignoring it, they bring him into the booth and invite him to races where they all have a good laugh at themselves. That's pretty commendable in my eyes.

I agree, but most motorsports fans are just that FANS OF ALL MOTORSPORTS. btw that was a good movie except you already seen all the funny pparts on the previews but all wills movies are that way. oh Richard Petty used to drag race. my dad used to drive and work on the 43jr drag car

I caught that as well Travis...DW and the whole Nascar gang like John and while he did mess up ..( DW ) he has a pretty big heart and it was nice to hear him mention drag racing .. Wow, your dad worked on the 43jr car ..Anxious to see the pics and get an update ...Thanks

ILL post pics tonite of the 43jr, i will have to ask mom to find them and scan them for me

I agree, but most motorsports fans are just that FANS OF ALL MOTORSPORTS.

I'm not sure I agree with that Travis, I know friends from the Circletracks and friends from the Dragstrip and they are Different crowds. While I agree you'll always have some crossover, most racefans are of the Turn left variety or the 1/4 mile crowd.

I'm not sure I agree with that Travis, I know friends from the Circletracks and friends from the Dragstrip and they are Different crowds. While I agree you'll always have some crossover, most racefans are of the Turn left variety or the 1/4 mile crowd.

I know from experience the crowds are different! I work both NASCAR races at Pocono and also work at Maple Grove during the National Event and I can tell you first hand, the NHRA folks are a wonderful breed of fan!! Most are very polite, offering me food and drinks and a seat. The people at Pocono - well, lets just say they would run over their Mother just to get an autograph.
I thoroughly enjoy race weekend at the Grove....:D

I personally enjoy watching ALL motorsports from sprint cars, indy cars, F1, NASCAR and especially NHRA.

I personally enjoy watching ALL motorsports from sprint cars, indy cars, F1, NASCAR and especially NHRA.

I agree Cheryl, if someone is crazy enough to build something to go fast and race, I am crazy enough to watch.

I also agree about the crowds. I do not work at the races as you do, but I do attend a lot of races, and the crowds at NHRA events are the best.

As for Richard Petty's drag racing, he went off the track and killed an 8 or 9 year old kid, which precipitated his move back to stock car racing. Why was the king of stock car racinf drag racing? Well, Dodge had some kind of dispute with NASCAR and pulled their factory support, so they gave the Pettys a factory deal to go drag racing.

Last edited:
I agree Cheryl, if someone is crazy enough to build something to go fast and race, I am crazy enough to watch.

I also agree about the crowds. I do not work at the races as you do, but I do attend a lot of races, and the crowds at NHRA events are the best.

As for Richard Petty's drag racing, he went off the track and killed an 8 or 9 year old kid, which precipitated his move back to stock car racing. Why was the king of stock car racinf drag racing? Well, Dodge had some kind of dispute with NASCAR and pulled their factory support, so they gave the Pettys a factory deal to go drag racing.

i think (but might be wrong) the driveshaft came out of the car when he wrecked and thats what killed the boy. ill ask dad today and see if he remembers

I know from experience the crowds are different! I work both NASCAR races at Pocono and also work at Maple Grove during the National Event and I can tell you first hand, the NHRA folks are a wonderful breed of fan!! Most are very polite, offering me food and drinks and a seat. The people at Pocono - well, lets just say they would run over their Mother just to get an autograph.
I thoroughly enjoy race weekend at the Grove....:D

Cheryl, I was flirting with my ticket rep. from Las Vegas while ordering tickets. Treid to get a discount but she told me to go soak my Head! No that's just a joke....but I asked her about the ticket sales between the Cup race and the drags. She said they have very little crossover in sales, like maybe 5-8% tops.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back