Dumb Question Time ? :( (1 Viewer)

You record your time trails on your tach when you let go of the transbrake. You take the best one and save it. During eliminations you can have it replayed once you let go of the transbrake and compare the actual tach reading with the stored reading while going down the track. Some tachs you can switch back and forth between actual and saved readings. If the two readings are the same, you should be on the same e.t. as the time trail. Some racers have complained that when a racer is looking down, that is what he is doing.

I don't see that as a realistic occurance. Too much to do in 8 seconds. Cutting a light, switching back and forth, and watching your opponent). Another important point is that playbacks have a margin of error, and you can play a run over multiple times, and get multiple readings within that margin of error. Mine is upwards of 100 RPM!

You record your time trails on your tach when you let go of the transbrake. You take the best one and save it. During eliminations you can have it replayed once you let go of the transbrake and compare the actual tach reading with the stored reading while going down the track. Some tachs you can switch back and forth between actual and saved readings. If the two readings are the same, you should be on the same e.t. as the time trail. Some racers have complained that when a racer is looking down, that is what he is doing.
Like Ginger said... the idea that someone could do all that and drive the car is laughable. Add to that the fact that you'd have to have at least two extra wires going to the tach... how do you explain to tech?

Plus, the rulebook strictly forbids any replay tach or data logger from being connected to the transbrake.

Back to the topic...

There have been devices found for both hitting the tree and for running the number.

A few years ago, at a national event, it was observed that a certain racer's wife was videoing the runs but the camera was pointed at the tree not the car... and she dropped the camera down after the car left. The next time they came to the line, as soon as the driver staged the car an official walked up and shown a flashlight at the video camera's lens... the car launched almost immediately and before the tree was activated. What they found was light sensor inside the camera with a small radio transmitter that sent the signal to launch to the car.

As for controlling E.T. ...

Running dead on pass after pass is much more difficult simply due to all the variables, but...

The most obvious and effective means is a slew (sp?) rate ignition control device, either a black box or the MSD Digital Ignition that was banned. Other types of devices require to much extra wiring and input devices to go unnoticed.

With the slew rate ignition control, you can record a near perfect run and then program the timing/RPM curve from that run into the ignition for your default RPM limiter. The RPM limiters on those boxes can be programmed in at .010 second intervals. Then you set the throttle-stop timer to ensure your going to quick every pass. The ignition then limits downtrack RPM based on curve you programmed in.

Back to the topic...

A few years ago, at a national event, it was observed that a certain racer's wife was videoing the runs but the camera was pointed at the tree not the car... and she dropped the camera down after the car left. The next time they came to the line, as soon as the driver staged the car an official walked up and shown a flashlight at the video camera's lens... the car launched almost immediately and before the tree was activated. What they found was light sensor inside the camera with a small radio transmitter that sent the signal to launch to the car.
I heard of a story like that but someone stepped in front of the camera and the car didn't move.
As far as the playback tach thing, its been before. I just wish I could remember what tach was used. Everyone was saying VDO but I don't think its possible with that brand. As far as tech finding a extra wire, maybe now but not a couple of years ago.
There are a lot of stories I heard about cheating, mostly at those big money bracket races, some of the believable some not.

Last edited:
Wake up and smell the cheating!
They say prostitution is the oldest profession in the world but I believe cheaters have that dubious distinction.

Google "Matty Box" to learn about the infamous "black box." I believe it's still on the open market! Or try "Dirty Dozen" drag racing, and prepare to read your way to frustration.

Here's a tiny taste:
Drag and Bracket Racing Tips

They say prostitution is the oldest profession in the world but I believe cheaters have that dubious distinction.

Google "Matty Box" to learn about the infamous "black box." I believe it's still on the open market! Or try "Dirty Dozen" drag racing, and prepare to read your way to frustration.

Here's a tiny taste:

Yep... Matty was the subject of a near riot at the Moroso 5 Day a few years back.

I remember back in 2000 being inspected several times in Super Street for "abnormal wiring". They pulled every car in SST to inspect after a round of qualifying...this went on for 4 races at random. The tech inspectors paid particular attention to anyone with a playback tach (I don't use one). They did the same thing with Super Gas and Super Comp, but with random cars and qualifying rounds. Speculation at the time was that a certain Super Comp champion was caught using a modified playback tach to regulate their ET, but as with all rumors, no-one knew for certain who or what actually happened.

I can see with the tight racing and the pressure of being "professional sportsman" racers (guys who do it for a living), that the temptation is great. Doesn't excuse it, though.

Here's a tiny taste:
All ancient news and totally outdated! The Matty Box is so obvious, Stevie Wonder could find one on a car.

All ancient news and totally outdated! The Matty Box is so obvious, Stevie Wonder could find one on a car.
Appears your response indicates I am suggesting that this is the only way one could possibly cheat using electronics?
Oh, PUUULLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE!

As long as there are electronics controlling the performance of the cars there will be someone stepping over the line with the use of such. It takes a pretty sharp cookie just to find some of them but there will be new ideas envisioned every day.

Appears your response indicates I am suggesting that this is the only way one could possibly cheat using electronics? ...
Not at all! Only pointing out that the Matty Box is irrellevant in conversations about potential cheating in this day and age... BTW, did you read my post from above?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back