Dumb Question Time ? :( (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
I was just curious as to how close the racing would be in say SC (8.90) if ANY.. and I mean ANY kind of electronics were permitted.. such as a counter on the front wheel to determine you exact location on the track.. and an infra red to "Read the Tree".. so all the driver has to do is stage and electronics would take over when the light flashes... :(

BTW I do NOT condone this or want to see it... its just a wild azz question that came up last night at a Beer & BS session...

Last edited:
if anything were allowed and you staged correctly every time... you could get a perfect light and run 8.900 seconds EVERY pass...

CJ Curtsinger

if anything were allowed and you staged correctly every time... you could get a perfect light and run 8.900 seconds EVERY pass...

CJ Curtsinger

That's the key, to stage the same every time. Alot of fans don't realize how important that is because a few inches can change reaction time, 60' time, etc. Now getting that perfect light everytime would be a different story.

Isn't there something out there that can "read" when the lights come on and tell the car when to go?

CJ Curtsinger

Even if there were such a thing to read the tree it all goes back to being in the beams exactly the same and a human has to put it in the beams. So many different things can have an effect on the roll out. Even being to the left or right a bit different can change things.

A few yrs ago a motorcycle performance shop developed a device(stagemaster I believe it was called) That read the slightest rotation of the front sprocket.
You would creep barely into prestage,stop,then push a button to set your marker.Next time you roll forward an air cylinder would apply the rear brake enough(adjustable too) to stop it from rolling farther after a predetermined amout of roll.(set the box)
You went in the same distance every time.When you release the 2 step it releases the brake--unless--you want to delay the brake release to control initial spin or possibly slow down the reaction of a redlighter on a pro tree.
simlpy change the settings for lane variences ,ect..

Last edited:
Isn't there something out there that can "read" when the lights come on and tell the car when to go?

CJ Curtsinger
I heard of a story of someone using a camcorder(installed with light sensor and electronics) which picks up the flash of yellow and send a signal to release the car's transbrake. I believe someone walked in front of it and the camcorder did not leave the starting line.

Well...that is a WILD AZZ QUESTION! BTW, there is no such thing as a DUMB QUESTION...JUST A DUMB RESPONSE....

SO HERE IS MY DUMB RESPONSE!;)

I'd say it would be pretty close, however, even the best electronics can not manipulate the Variables..such as WIND, Rapid change in weather (I.E. changing Density Altitude....although a SUPER COMPUTER could adjust the throttle stop based off the changing weather at the point of staging!) And Of course even the best computer couldn't manipulate the best Computer..THE HUMAN BRAIN and the EGO and Doubts of a Driver..(AM I ON A .89?...Did I get left on?? How much stripe do I need to take???)

If that day actually came, where Racing were 100% controlled by a Computer, then I think I might invest in Skydiving...and forget how to pack my chute!:eek:

I was just curious as to how close the racing would be in say SC (8.90) if ANY.. and I mean ANY kind of electronics were permitted.. such as a counter on the front wheel to determine you exact location on the track.. and an infra red to "Read the Tree".. so all the driver has to do is stage and electronics would take over when the light flashes... :(

BTW I do NOT condone this or want to see it... its just a wild azz question that came up last night at a Beer & BS session...
There is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb questioners:D
On the other hand I wonder how the "90" classes would be if NO electronics were permitted?

When Super Gas first started there were no electronic "aids". David Meziere used to kick a lot of SoCal bottoms with his consistant RT and ET's.

When Super Gas first started there were no electronic "aids". David Meziere used to kick a lot of SoCal bottoms with his consistant RT and ET's.
Surely, how the classes evolved, wasn't the intentions of the originators of the concept. Dang, I used to get bothered by seeing Brake lights before the stripe! That was the beginning of "the end!";)

my Humble opinion...but I believe Dave was and Still is the Best Super Gas driver in D-7!!! Do you or Does anyone Else have any Pic's of his Corvette??? I'm looking for one of his HOT N' NASTY car or the Candy Apple Red Colors on that BAD ASS CORVETTE!

Last edited:
I was involved in those early days. It is amazing how close you can get with a turn of a throttle stop bolt.:D

It was actually interesting to watch as the cars ran flat out all the time instead of the start/bog/run deal. Also remember that you still had the option of braking or letting off at the top end...

Personally I liked it better. I think the electronics has closed the gap from the good drivers and the really good drivers...

jim

Hypothetical situation - SC car A leaves with a .510 light. SC car B leaves with a .517 light. Car A crosses the finish line with a 8.91 at 168 mph and car B crosses the line with an 8.903 at 174 mph.
My question is, does anybody care? Or were they lined up at the beer tent?:D:D

All in fun folks. I've said before, I appreciate the indexed classes because they are heads up. I just wish that they were tuned to those times without throttle stops.

John - there are a lot of "devices" being used that are not "permitted" - certainly nothing as simple as a wheel sensor which would be easily recognized.
A lot of Super class heavy hitters do not like to make single runs - it becomes pretty obvious that the car is doing things beyond a driver's control.
Those who have stated that staging is the critical element are correct. NHRA Tech Department just doesn't have the resources to look at every wire on 250 SG and SC cars at a national event. And . . . the winner in one of these classes would have plenty of time swap a chip after winning. - :rolleyes:

Could you explain your reasoning for that?

You record your time trails on your tach when you let go of the transbrake. You take the best one and save it. During eliminations you can have it replayed once you let go of the transbrake and compare the actual tach reading with the stored reading while going down the track. Some tachs you can switch back and forth between actual and saved readings. If the two readings are the same, you should be on the same e.t. as the time trail. Some racers have complained that when a racer is looking down, that is what he is doing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back