Doug Dragoo loses battle with bone marrow cancer (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
I received this from a friend when I logged on this morning....

"It's with deep sadness and a heavy heart that I must report that my lifelong friend, my former crewman for our T/F team (and employee of Prudhome, Kalitta, the In N Out Burger F/C team and several other drag race teams) Doug Dragoo passed away this afternoon.

He'd been battling bone marrow cancer for the past several years, but I just saw him at the IHRA race at Rockingham in October. Doug looked great. We stopped and chatted a few minutes, he looked completely free of the cancer. Doug most recently he worked at Dale Earnhardt, Inc. in the engine dept.

But recently Doug's cancer problems returned and he was undergoing chemo and treatment again. His wife Camie has been giving me daily updates but today things got worse.

Camie just called me and said he was in ICU for a 105 temperature today when he went code blue on them and quickly died. It appears he died from the "complications of the treatment" of cancer just like Benny Parsons?

Doug never said a bad word about anyone and I don't know of a soul that ever said anything bad about him. A good way to leave this earth, but he did it way too early in his years.

I assume he will be buried back in Boone, Iowa where he's from. I'll let you know as soon as I know more. He will be missed by many in the racing world and very much by our family."

When I asked if I could post this information, this was the answer....

"That would be nice. I gave him one of his first drag racing jobs but he worked for several of the other teams including Doug Herbert, Prudhomme, Bill Schultz with the In N Out Burger F/C and Kalitta.

Then he went where the big money is, Nascar. He was back to work at DEI, Inc. and was doing good until this winter when the cancer came back and he started back on chemo etc.

He was just a really nice guy that everyone liked.

I'm sure a lot of his racing friends would like it if you posted the sad news.

Thanks,"

Jackee, Thank you for posting this.
I had the pleasure of knowing Doug throughout all of my drag racing years on the road racing with my brother Scoots. I'm sure that everyone will agree- Doug was (is) one of the most genuine, quality, nice guys to ever pick up a wrench or share a beer with. Always quick with a smile or a hand shake- laugh at a joke and tell one too. We always looked forward to seeing Doug and Dee Gant whenever we raced. We had a great time racing with them and the Schultz / Oswald guys and even shared a shop for a couple of weeks with them at Bridgetown Welders in Cincinnatti while we were on the road with the Trapper car. There at the shop it was as important to start planning the lunch menu for the Bar-B -Q at 11:00am as it was getting the Hot Rods ready for the next race. Scoots and Jackson always had a running bet with Doug and Dee- every time we ran each other, in qualifying or competition- 1 buck, foldin money, whoever gets there first- redlights don't matter- losers always brought the money to the winners trailer- and had to tape it to the tool cabinet next to the door. There were alot of dollars taped up in those 2 trailers which later got spent on beers for everyone. There are a millon stories that can be told, like when Doug came back from the rest room at First Round Draft in Phx. to find that his fellow Kalitta teammates had auctioned off his Kalitta crew jacket for charity to a spectator while he was gone and all he had to say was "I had a new pack of gum in the pocket!"- That was Doug. I won't carry on any more..........Doug will be missed. My brother and I are better guys for having known him.
Take care, Wyatt Radke

I received this from a friend when I logged on this morning....

"It's with deep sadness and a heavy heart that I must report that my lifelong friend, my former crewman for our T/F team (and employee of Prudhome, Kalitta, the In N Out Burger F/C team and several other drag race teams) Doug Dragoo passed away this afternoon.

He'd been battling bone marrow cancer for the past several years, but I just saw him at the IHRA race at Rockingham in October. Doug looked great. We stopped and chatted a few minutes, he looked completely free of the cancer. Doug most recently he worked at Dale Earnhardt, Inc. in the engine dept.

But recently Doug's cancer problems returned and he was undergoing chemo and treatment again. His wife Camie has been giving me daily updates but today things got worse.

Camie just called me and said he was in ICU for a 105 temperature today when he went code blue on them and quickly died. It appears he died from the "complications of the treatment" of cancer just like Benny Parsons?

Doug never said a bad word about anyone and I don't know of a soul that ever said anything bad about him. A good way to leave this earth, but he did it way too early in his years.

I assume he will be buried back in Boone, Iowa where he's from. I'll let you know as soon as I know more. He will be missed by many in the racing world and very much by our family."

When I asked if I could post this information, this was the answer....

"That would be nice. I gave him one of his first drag racing jobs but he worked for several of the other teams including Doug Herbert, Prudhomme, Bill Schultz with the In N Out Burger F/C and Kalitta.

Then he went where the big money is, Nascar. He was back to work at DEI, Inc. and was doing good until this winter when the cancer came back and he started back on chemo etc.

He was just a really nice guy that everyone liked.

I'm sure a lot of his racing friends would like it if you posted the sad news.

Thanks,"

I met Doug went I racing Topfuel Harley on the IHRA side and he always came by to to give me a hard time and still a beer late at night a friend that will be missed God Speed

I got to know Doug when he was with Snake's Cope backed team and actually worked with him at Indy in 1997 when I subbed for Speedy who got sick at Brainerd. He was a great guy and a lot of fun to be around without being over the top. He will be missed.

Roo

So sorry to hear the bad news. My best to his family and friends.

I know the name but for the life of me I just can't picture him.

Dave

So sorry to hear the bad news. My best to his family and friends.

I know the name but for the life of me I just can't picture him.

Dave

Services will be held for Doug Dragoo Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM at Cavin-Cook Funeral Home 464 E. Plaza Dr Mooresville NC, 28115. Immediately following the service we will be receiving friends at the funeral home. We ask that any donations be made to: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for Multiple Myeloma Research 5950 Fairview Road Suite Charlotte, NC or Victory Junction Gang Camp 4500 Adam's Way Randleman, NC 27317 in Doug's name. We would like to thank everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks,
Cammie, Megan, and Mitch

I first met Doug when Jack Wyatt asked me to help him switch to Nitro in 1987, Doug was the crew for Jack. We had a lot of great times together, many laughs and funny stories. Doug has had a tough fight for several years,but he never gave up. As late as this past Monday night he told Jack ,"see you in Rockingham"

Thanks to Wyatt Radke for an examples of life with Doug.

RIP Dougie ,
the man is gone ,may the memories remain forever

I wasn't aware that Doug was battling cancer, I hadn't spoke to him for quite some time......so this news came as quite a shock. I can only echo what my brother said in his post and say that time spent with Doug created some of my greatest racing memories. My sympathy goes out to Cammie and family, and those who were near and dear to him. Scoots

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your memories and thoughts about Doug Dragoo. I've been looking for his obituary to see if there is a Guest Book that can be signed but haven't found it yet.

I bought my last race car from Doug, back in 1985 or so, and had raced against / with him for many years before that.

The Mr Magoo 1969 Camaro. He and Billy Bushore had a team together. Both were good racers.

Doug was a very intelligent and resourceful man, always had time for others and was always there if you needed a hand. Just an overall great, down to earth guy to hang out with.

I hadn't thought about Doug for a few years, but ran across some pictures of the camaro recently, and I wondered what he was up to these days.

I am a little sadder today.

I was very saddened to hear this news. I met Doug about 17 years ago while we were both employed on funny car teams. I never worked on the same team as Doug but we convoyed from race to race many times over the years, and enjoyed racing against each other. Doug was also a regular on Saturday nights at East Lincoln Speedway in North Carolina. I will miss chatting with him at the dirt track. Doug was truly a Racers "Racer". May God Bless Him.

Byron Hairrell

Got this from Sr.

"A nice comment you might want to post on Nitro Mater about Doug Dragoo. The funeral was yesterday at 2 p.m. It was a packed funeral home from all his friends in both NHRA and Nascar (Doug last worked at Dale Earnhatdt Inc.). Jack Wyatt flew in from Iowa via Houston, to speak some very nice words (and very tearful) about Doug and their travels together racing, etc. Dale Creasy Jr's. mom and others drove clear in from Chicago.

Cammie met all the guest in the family room after the services then we all went to a little bar across the street from the funeral home and had a (well, maybe several) Bud Light in Doug's honor (anyone that knew Doug, knows he loved Bud Light) as that IS what Doug would of wanted. Later Cammie and Megan joins all their friends at the bar. Is was a very sad day for all of us but we are all richer for knowing Doug."

Sounds like a fitting send off for a well loved man!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back